• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ1000 Review... (1 Viewer)

Wonderful Stonechats, KenM !

Now, could I ask a favour ?

As I’ve previously indicated, I don’t wish to spend a lorra money without evident betterment of results. Would it be possible for you to take shots of something (probably a bird) in low light, even difficult, conditions, please ?

Then, briefly relate how quickly the camera focussed, etc. My FZ-150 is very slow (if it doesn’t completely ‘refuse’- the barrel just going in-and-out), when confronted with this kind of situation.

You never know, I might have an early Christmas box !

I agree somewhat with Swissboy, the chat shots are great, with loads of detail, the nuthatches lack definition. I assume you were using digital or izoom on those. I use izoom all the time and get quite good results with it, so I'm not sure why yours lack that detail.

As Swissboy suggests, I believe a 13-14cm bird (particularly in flight) at c25-30m, is probably at it's limit on 16x?

I will try a few more on izoom to see if there is any appreciable difference using the longer reach.

Cheers

As I’ve previously indicated, I don’t wish to spend a lorra money without evident betterment of results. Would it be possible for you to take shots of something (probably a bird) in low light, even difficult, conditions, please ?

Then, briefly relate how quickly the camera focussed, etc. My FZ-150 is very slow (if it doesn’t completely ‘refuse’- the barrel just going in-and-out), when confronted with this kind of situation.

Somehow, I don't think low light conditions, will be difficult at this time of year John ;)

The FZ1000 low light focusing is pretty quick. I had a FZ150 and know what its like in low light, the FZ1000 runs rings around it in that respect. The FZ100 also allows you to use a much higher ISO levels.

Today I went out after the rain had cleared, and guess what?...blue sky and sunshine for rest of the day (you'll have to wait a wee while John, for the low light shots :(

I experienced a situation whereby in very good light and close proximity, (Stonechat on post again, male this time). I endured 7-8 half shutter releases, before the subject ''focused''. Presumably this is what is called ''hunting?'', and occurs from time to time on most cameras?...also several times it has not ''turned off'' when adjusted, have had to release battery, then turn off, then on, before resuming normal function, for the time being...I'll regard this as a glitsch. :smoke:

However, I stumbled across this singing Starling (7-8m away) and took this shot, I'm somewhat impressed by the result (particularly when enlarged) considering the distance from subject

Cheers

Attachments

• A Starling..jpg
    A Starling..jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
.............. I endured 7-8 half shutter releases, before the subject ''focused''. Presumably this is what is called ''hunting?'', and occurs from time to time on most cameras?...also several times it has not ''turned off'' when adjusted, have had to release battery, then turn off, then on, before resuming normal function, for the time being...I'll regard this as a glitsch. :smoke:
Cheers

Fine Starling picture. But regarding the camera's function, I think that is far from normal. Keep any eye on this, and make sure you don't miss complaining while it's still covered by warranty.
I had imported several earlier models from the US, and returning them then would have been costly, though.

also several times it has not ''turned off'' when adjusted, have had to release battery, then turn off, then on, before resuming normal function, for the time being...I'll regard this as a glitsch.

Agree with Robert, not something to let continue for a long time. In the meantime, use a regular eraser on the battery contacts as well as on the corresponding contacts in the camera to see if that takes care of the problem.

Niels

Agree with Robert, not something to let continue for a long time. In the meantime, use a regular eraser on the battery contacts as well as on the corresponding contacts in the camera to see if that takes care of the problem.

Niels

Point taken, regarding the "occasional hunting" (not focusing), even when attempting 7-8 times, is this the norm?

Cheers

regarding the "occasional hunting" (not focusing), even when attempting 7-8 times, is this the norm?

Cheers

First of all, I do not have a FZ1000. Hunting happens - I think 7-8 times have happened to me in the past when I was using the FZ18, but not often. I am now using a GH2, and cannot remember that many tries using that. When I have focusing problems with the GH2 it is often because there is something else within the (small) focusing box that the camera prefers over what I prefer. In those cases, it often helps to consciously focus on something else of approximately the right distance before going back to the bird. You can also try focusing on something very close or something very far (so that the camera will start from the opposite side of what it was doing last) and then try to go back.

With my GH2 (several years old and therefore possibly with an older AF system than your camera), I find focusing often working better with the AF in single shot mode rather than in tracking mode - possibly try the different AF modes to see if that solves your problems?

Niels

First of all, I do not have a FZ1000. Hunting happens - I think 7-8 times have happened to me in the past when I was using the FZ18, but not often. I am now using a GH2, and cannot remember that many tries using that. When I have focusing problems with the GH2 it is often because there is something else within the (small) focusing box that the camera prefers over what I prefer. In those cases, it often helps to consciously focus on something else of approximately the right distance before going back to the bird. You can also try focusing on something very close or something very far (so that the camera will start from the opposite side of what it was doing last) and then try to go back.

With my GH2 (several years old and therefore possibly with an older AF system than your camera), I find focusing often working better with the AF in single shot mode rather than in tracking mode - possibly try the different AF modes to see if that solves your problems?

Niels

Thanks Niels...makes sense...Cheers Ken

John Hi,

Hope all these ''low light'' shots give better indication.

The Blackbird was taken at (c30m.ISO 250), The Greenfinch at (c20m.ISO 200), The 1st Blue Tit at (c10-12m.ISO 1600) and the 2nd (2.5m.also at ISO 1600) and finally the GSW at (c25m. ISO 200).

All imaged at between 4-7 seconds, I'm very pleased with the fast focusing times under poor lighting conditions.

All cropped with no sharpening, however mid-tone has been reduced on all, but only negligibly so.

Cheers

Attachments

• Blckbrd.at 30m..jpg
    Blckbrd.at 30m..jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 585
  • Grnfnch.at 12 to 15m..jpg
    Grnfnch.at 12 to 15m..jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 580
  • A FZ1000 Blue Tit at 10m. jpg.jpg
    A FZ1000 Blue Tit at 10m. jpg.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 617
  • A FZ1000 Blue Tit..jpg
    A FZ1000 Blue Tit..jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 640
  • A 25m.GSWoodp. 15.11.14.jpg
    A 25m.GSWoodp. 15.11.14.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 687
All cropped with no sharpening, however mid-tone has been reduced on all, but only negligibly so.

Cheers

I find it impossible to judge the image quality with the posted resolution. On the Stonechat, there were over 1200 pixels. That did allow a decent evaluation. I think for such comparisons, 1200 to 1400 pixels are necessary.

I find it impossible to judge the image quality with the posted resolution. On the Stonechat, there were over 1200 pixels. That did allow a decent evaluation. I think for such comparisons, 1200 to 1400 pixels are necessary.

These images were put up, to give ''firstreesjohn'' an idea of what might be achieved with fast focusing in ''low light'' over ''distance'', don't think I can improve on that, particularly with the corresponding BF compression?

Low light image

This bird, a song sparrow I think, was taken in late afternoon light last week in British Columbia. It was also in shadow, so the light wasn't great and the FZ1000 locked on immediately. I fired many shots of the bird as it hopped around on the beach. Every now and then there is some hunting for focus, but it isn't always in low light. Generally though, the focus is super quick in all situations and lighting.

Attachments

• Sparrow.JPG
    Sparrow.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 638
Swing low, sweet Lumix ?

Thanks to both of you (scodgerott and KenM) for your efforts, photographic ‘evidence’ and commentary on my behalf.

I must say I’m most impressed with the incredible zoom, reaching from Oz to Canada with such quality of image.;)

Please keep the thread going in this way, as you get more used to the camera’s capabilities. Also, others' expert comments.

I have several other things on my plate, at the mo, but may make a decision soon.

I am now the proud owner of one.

In dire conditions today (driving rain, strong winds, dull to low light, I managed a few shots from inside the car, across a stretch of water. The pair were about 50m distant; the duck about 40m.

They were taken on maximum optical zoom, at 5MP.

In each case, the LH shot is the (re-sized) original, the RH cropped three times in Photoshop and 'tidied up'.

My initial reactions are most favourable, but would appreciate advice as to settings.

Attachments

• rsz_051.jpg
    rsz_051.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 509
  • 051pse.jpg
    051pse.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 488
  • rsz_067.jpg
    rsz_067.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 067pse.jpg
    067pse.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 460
Further observations & pix

I've now owned this for all of this month; using it most days. As I become more accustomed to its operation, I think I'm beginning to produce better photos.

Usually, I set the AWB to 'cloudy' and will start experimenting with other minor alterations, in the quest for even better shots. Any further suggestions are welcome.

The Robin was a useful indication of how things will occur in the field and when a quick photo is essential for ID/rarities submissions/etc. A very hasty shot, when the bird only perched for a moment and with partial screening from vegetation. The Nuthatch, similarly, was not the crispest of shots- they're always moving.

The fungi and gorse are close-ups. I take a lot of these (mainly in the summer, of butterflies, dragonflies, etc.) and am not quite sure I've got the hang of the differences between my FZ-150 and this model. Previously, I was able to approach to about 18 inches (0.5m); now, it's double that, with my zoom settings. The depth of field seems to be slightly reduced, although the advantage (with an insect, say) is that you stand less chance of scaring it.

Early days !

Attachments

• 132pse.jpg
    132pse.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 518
  • 479pse.jpg
    479pse.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 605
  • 331pse.jpg
    331pse.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 104pse.jpg
    104pse.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 475
  • 062pse.jpg
    062pse.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 307
.............Previously, I was able to approach to about 18 inches (0.5m); now, it's double that, with my zoom settings. The depth of field seems to be slightly reduced, although the advantage (with an insect, say) is that you stand less chance of scaring it.

Very fine shots, also the birds. But I particularly like the close-ups. Did you sharpen the pictures with a particular program, or simply reduce for posting?

As for minimal distance. You say you can't get equally close as with the FZ150. I agree that this will reduce the scare factor. but do you get the same magnification when comparing your close-ups taken with both cameras?

Thank you, Swissboy !

The equivalent (binocular) magnification of the FZ-150 at my usual zoom setting was 37.5x; the FZ-1000, 32x.

The fact that the minimum shooting distance is now 1m may now prove to be an advantage, for the reasons stated. I think the reduced 'magnification' at a distance may not prove as much of a drawback as I thought: the quality of the (unimproved) shot seems to be higher and 'take' Photoshop better, too.

I use Photoshop Elements 7.0 in a basic way, to sharpen and enhance/improve contrast, highlights and shadows.

Here's another Nuthatch, from the same day as the last.

Attachments

• 145pse.jpg
    145pse.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back