• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heath Moth trap advice (1 Viewer)

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
So I currently use a portable heath moth trap and I'm wondering on if there's any advice regarding its use that I can use to help maximise the catch and retention rate.

I'm aware that weather and seasonal conditions will affect the overall number and variety of moths in flight on a given night. That still weather; cloudy; warmer and dry are the ideal sorts of conditions that one wants to have to maximise the number of moths on the wing and thus the potential to be caught.
Also as I'm setting up and leaving it running overnight I try to leave it in or very near to a shaded spot; so that when I head out to check it in the morning there's the least amount of light falling upon it (to prolong the cool conditions)

I've got 6pack egg box trays in the bottom which I tend to place in mostly at random, but leaving a funnel gap in the middle so that the moths have a flight path down into the depths of the trap. I'm unsure if this is wise or if I'm more leaving a funnel for escape than I am one for capture.

By 'dry' I assume not raining. I say this because humid nights are by far the best.
The main problem with the 'standard' Heath trap is the wattage of the actinic lamp - it doesn't have great 'pulling' power. I usually get to the trap at dawn in order to plug the trap (a ball of tissue placed in the neck of the funnel. I can then look at the contents once the light levels permit - or leave it for later in a cool shaded position.

Thanks honeym - you are right by dry I did mean no rain; but I didn't actually think about humid, though it does make sense that a hot night with moisture would indeed draw out bugs in general in abundance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back