• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (3 Viewers)

Squacco Heron at fishing lakes near Par Station this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 94
Wing Tagged Red Kites

The wing tagged Red Kite seen over Marazion Marsh RSPB by D Flumm on 13 April, was ringed as a nestling in 2002 at Rutland Water. Likewise the Red Kites photographed by B Mellow on 23 May at Brew Pool and by S Bury on 24 May at Coverack. Could they all be the same bird?

Hello all,

I'm off down to Cornwall for my regular early June holiday there, and I was after a bit of info please. I don't want to ruffle any feathers (absolutely no pun intended) but is there anywhere I might get Nightjars? We'll be staying at Marazion, so within striking distance of there would be ideal.

I realise that sometimes info of this kind is sensitive, so any info is much appreciated, and please reply by PM.

Thanks.

Sideshow Bob, I hope you enjoy your visit to Cornwall & hope the weather is kind to you?!

Having spoken to the fellow local birders over the years I have never heard of any Nightjar populations.Not to say that there aren't any however I would bet there are more reliable and well known sites outside Cornwall.

However you never know someone might pm you with some details.B :)

Try and get down to Croft Pascoe pool, Goonhilly on the Lizard peninsula at dusk for Nightjars Sideshow Bob. It's within striking distance from Marazion and they can be heard churring from the road and sometimes seen if lucky.

Try and get down to Croft Pascoe pool, Goonhilly on the Lizard peninsula at dusk for Nightjars Sideshow Bob. It's within striking distance from Marazion and they can be heard churring from the road and sometimes seen if lucky.

I was waiting for someone else to draw attention to this site. I saw at least two there the night before last. First one churred at 21.35 then a male flew at 21.40 in pretty much broad daylight. Please keep to the tracks.

Jon

Hi, I will be heading down to Cornwall in late July/early August and i was wondering if there is any pelagic trips leaving from the mainland or later on from Scilly (so i and get across from Sennen)?

Sideshow Bob, I hope you enjoy your visit to Cornwall & hope the weather is kind to you?!

Having spoken to the fellow local birders over the years I have never heard of any Nightjar populations.Not to say that there aren't any however I would bet there are more reliable and well known sites outside Cornwall.

However you never know someone might pm you with some details.B :)

Who have you ben talking too!? There are loads of nightjar sites in west Cornwall. You only have to read the CBWPS reports. PM me if you want further info.

The adult, summer plumaged Great Northern Diver showing well near the hide the evening. Also present 2 "sinensis type" Cormorant and a Redshank present.

Butterfly Sites

Please can anyone give me Cornish sites for the following:

Essex Skipper
Brown Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Chalkhill Blue - if Cornwall gets them?
High Brown Fritillary
Silver-washed Fritillary

Thanks.

Please can anyone give me Cornish sites for the following:

Essex Skipper
Brown Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Chalkhill Blue - if Cornwall gets them?
High Brown Fritillary
Silver-washed Fritillary

Thanks.

Sorry Lawts but of those only Purple Hairstreak and SW Fritillary occur in Cornwall and those mostly in the East. If you're coming down from Wetherby perhaps best to stop somewhere en route, maybe get sites for Devon or Gloucestershire.

I know its a bit short notice but I'm off to Penzance for the next 2 weeks with the family and was wondering where some good places to go birding are? In particular for Nightjar, any Ruddy Ducks left? Little Tern, Dipper, Turtle Dove, Yellow Wagtail, Chough and Dartford Warbler.

Also any good places for a seabird colony? PM's appreciated, some of the ideas might be a bit tricky/not possible but if you don't ask you don't get also details of any other 'good' birds that you guys get that us Midlanders get, have booked a pelagic to sail out of St. Ives on the 4th and will try to get down to Gwennap head for a couple of mornings, any tips much appreciated!

Due to a last minute cancellation we have a single place available on this saturdays (31st) Pelagic from St Ives. Ring 07794559881 or contact [email protected] for details.

****************PLACE NOW TAKEN THANKS*********************************************************

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back