• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff Q (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi d hi all,
Popped out this morning hoping to see the Bonaparte's Gull (dont ask) |:(|
put it this way, I got back home to discover it had been relocated having been chased off by a Perri earlier!! And please dont ask about my 2 no-show trips to find the lesser Scaup!!

Anyway, while I was Gull Dipping! a Chiffchaff was singing in a riverside tree! awww!
I was wondering if it's a new arrival? Can someone tell me if the timing is right or was it more likely over wintering/resident and how can you tell one from the other.
Many thanks all

I won't even attempt to answer your query but I will be interested to hear what others have to say! Nice for you to hear your first Chiffchaff of the year though!

Sorry to hear of the Gull Dipping and I wouldn't dream of asking about your Lesser Scaup trips! Then again................no I won't!;)

Think I just found my answer!! Someone who visited the same site (and dipped) lol! oop's sorry, just posted "1st sighting this year of Chiffchaff singing" on Glamorgan Bird Club site. Yay!
Here is this mornings Bird, not a great pic, but lovely to welcome it to Wales.

Thanks Pam for your contribution and for not asking! ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 13
Think I just found my answer!! Someone who visited the same site (and dipped) lol! oop's sorry, just posted "1st sighting this year of Chiffchaff singing" on Glamorgan Bird Club site. Yay!
Here is this mornings Bird, not a great pic, but lovely to welcome it to Wales.

Thanks Pam for your contribution and for not asking! ;)

Hi Sue

Well done with seeing the Chiffchaff, Sue. Fabulous little bird and a very distinctive call too. Must keep a vigil and see if anyone else is lucky to hear one.

Sometimes you plan your day to be one thing, and they turn into something else. :eek!:

Still a ChiffChaff is a great find for you. Super picture too.

A lovely photo of your first of the year Chiffchaff, Pie! :t:

I will let you know when I see and hear my first of the year!

Thanks Pam & Kathy, I noticed a few more Chiffchaff sightings on Glam Birds today so it looks like they are arriving in Cardiff. Yay!

Only this morning, while I was in the woods, I thought how nice it would be to hear a Chiff Chaff. No such luck, they can't have reached us yet. Congratulations on hearing and seeing the new arrival Sue. Very good pic too .

There has been a new addition to the overwintering chiff chaffs at Fairburn Ings so it could well be a migrant. A willow warbler has been recorded in Scotland today and numerous other summer visitors are turning up all over now.
Haven't come across any yet but will mention the ones I see or hear.

Chris.

Thanks Bea & Chris,
it sounds like you might be lucky soon Bea, I know a good place for Willow warblers Chris & the weather looks good so fingers crossed & standby for my avalanche of id requests!
Doncha just love Warblers! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back