• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding the coast around Shanghai (1 Viewer)

The Reef Heron has never been recorded in Shanghai. It is found in small and localised numbers further down the coast in Fujian.

I'm not sure about the percentage split along the south Chinese coast...maybe MKinHK (whose haunts do have some Reef Herons) may have some information there?

White-morph Reef Egret is extremely rare in Hong Kong. The Avifauna of Hong Kong reports one record in 1987, and as far as I know this remains the only record. Personally I have only seen grey birds, never even one with mixed plumage.
Grey-morph Little Egret seems commoner here than white-morph Reef Egret!

Michael,

Thought you and the other Shanghai birders might enjoy this winter of 1898 Shanghai trip report. Attached as PDF.

And, thank you much for your current trip reports. They are certainly whetting my appetite for birding once again in Shanghai this November.

Cheers,
Bruce

Attachments

• 1899 Shanghai winter birds.pdf
    91.7 KB · Views: 126
Michael,

Thought you and the other Shanghai birders might enjoy this winter of 1898 Shanghai trip report. Attached as PDF.

And, thank you much for your current trip reports. They are certainly whetting my appetite for birding once again in Shanghai this November.

Cheers,
Bruce

So great to know that Collared Crow existed in Shanghai some 100 years back. Thanks for all these journals and notes, Bruce. See you in November.

"No doubt the abundance of bird life is accounted for by the protecticn they receive from the Chinese, whose religion prevents their wanton destruction."

Reading these words in a time during which Shanghai's birdlife is under heavy fire, there is a terribly ringing sort of irony to them...

"No doubt the abundance of bird life is accounted for by the protecticn they receive from the Chinese, whose religion prevents their wanton destruction."

Reading these words in a time during which Shanghai's birdlife is under heavy fire, there is a terribly ringing sort of irony to them...

Agreed. However, the transliteration "Whang-Poo" certainly hits the modern-day mark...

Weekend birding the coast to the north

Thanks to all contributors, very busy recently, little time to write. I did visit the heron site, lots of information but rather shaky taxonomy with a split on great egret and no mention of western reef.

Last weekend I had the whole time birding away with Craig and Elaine. We first visited Chongming, driving the seawall and checking the extensive bushes, the highlight here was a flyby male Siberian thrush. We then drove up to the coast east of Dongtai. In my view the 15km stretch of open seawall affords some of the best wader watching in China. Highlights were close views of red and great knot. We stayed overnight in the plush but cheap Tea Tree Inn in Jianggangzhen (see map).
At dawn on Sunday we drove down to Yangkou and spent time looking for migrants around the temple. The best birds were at least 6 siberian thrush, some giving superb views.
We decided to head back up to Dongtai to look for waders again, in particular we wanted views of asiatic dowitcher. We had no luck with dowitchers, it does seem this is a very scarce and local bird, the best known site is in spring on the Jiangsu/Shangdong border. Just as we were leaving on Sunday afternoon we met the SBS task force team on a recce, they confirmed what the large posters were proclaiming: every inch of the mudflats we were working were planned for enclosure and destruction over the next few years! Not good.

Best birds of trip to Chongming and Dongtai, Sat/Sun 12/13 September 2015

BF spoonbill, 5 at Dongtai mudflats, distant, one with a south Korean colour ring
Oystercatcher, 20+
Grey plover, 200+
(CT) red knot, 28+
Great knot, 25+
Sharp-tailed sand, 10+
Broad-billed sand, 30+
Oriental pratincole, 5+
Saunders’s gull, common on the mudflats, 200+
Several distant large white-headed gulls included heuglins (LBB), Mongolian-type, Vega-type and a few black-tailed.
Gull billed tern, 50+
White-winged tern, very common, 800+
Many cuckoo sp, probably mostly lesser.
Himalayan swiftlet, excellent views of two around the temple at Yangkou
Various phyllosc, pale-legged type, several arctic-type (we tried playing Kamchatka and Artic to see if we got a response; something when we played Arctic. A few eastern-crowned and YB
Reed parrotbill, two noisy and easy-to-see flocks totaling 20+ at Chongming
(CT) Siberian thrush, 6+ males, 2 females. What a cracker! My best-ever views
Blue rock thrush, 2+philippensis
Brown flycatcher common also had views of grey-streaked, dark-sided, yellow rumped, taiga and B+W flycatcher
Eastern yellow wag, 100+
Richards pipit, 20+
Chinese grosbeak, 2

Craig also spotted meadow bunting on the sea wall at Yangkou, by far my biggest bogey bird, but it eluded me again.

Out again tomorrow, Saturday

Attachments

• Dongtai1.JPG
    Dongtai1.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Dongtai2.JPG
    Dongtai2.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Map_chongming.JPG
    Map_chongming.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 94
Day out at Yangshan and Nanhui

Great day with Michael, Craig, and Elaine at Yangshan and Nanhui.
Highlights have been Chestnut-cheeked Starling as well as Long-billed Dowitcher. Michael will be giving the details later - definitely worthwhile to be continued !

Attachments

• Long-billed Dowitcher.jpg
    Long-billed Dowitcher.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Chestnut-cheeked Starling.jpg
    Chestnut-cheeked Starling.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 114
Chestnut-cheeked starling and long-billed dowitcher

Yesterday, Saturday 19 Sep, I had a day out with Craig, Elaine, Xueping and Stephan. We started the day at Yangshan Island, parking at the gate to the rubbish dump, we walked up the valley, I was introduced to the various historical sites for past vagrants, though this morning was on the quiet side with a handful of warblers and brown flycatcher the most obvious migrant. We then drove east looking for Chinese egret, we found some very distant birds, in our quest to get closer we found a walkable route across rock fields and past steep slopes atop a box structure covering a pipe. On this walk we had two very young meadow bunting, a sure sign of local breeding. Finally unblocked this bogey bird, though no sign of the parents. We then drove back to the western end and explored the “temple mount” this is the hillside on the south west corner, just across the main road from the rubbish dump. Walking up to the line of trees and bushes we were met by up to 5 brown fly in a single tree. An Asian stubtail showed very well plus excellent views of the commoner warblers and a few b+w flys. We decided to head back to the mainland, I was walking down the hill when a bird flew across and into trees. My first impression was a dark starling with white on the wing, warning signs were flashing in my head! I called the others and a few seconds later we had poor views of a bird that I was shouting out as daurian starling, a new bird for me. The bird moved and Craig, using Stephan’s kit, was able to get a few shots though foliage. It was only when I got out Brazil, that I realized the bird could not be daurian but had to be chestnut-cheeked starling. Unfortunately the illustration in Brazil of the male is woeful, subsequent investigation shows that most males have a strong scarf of brown (like our bird) and not just a small neat patch. After Craig got a few shots the bird moved off and despite searching we never saw it again.
We only had a few hours left so we had a few rushed minutes back at the Holiday Inn, Nanhui. The car park was quiet but we met some Chinese bird photographers who showed us pictures of a dowitcher they had a week earlier at Nanhui, whilst the bird was clearly a dowitcher I was unable to say much about their claim that it was long-billed. We drove up to the pools at Dongtan, and straight away spotted a lone dowitcher feeding in a small pool. The light was against us so we drove to the opposite side, dodging the sand trucks that were busy filling in one of the outstanding wetlands in the area. The light was excellent and it was now clear that the bird was indeed long-billed. Just a bog-standard adult winter dowitcher with greenish legs, I assume Asian would look bigger and different with black legs.
In the last few minutes we checked out the double clump, lots of pale/sak, blue sibe robin, japanese para fly and lots of b+w fly. We had to leave at 2:45 but what a great day! Look forward to spending many more days this autumn checking Yangshan.

Full list for Yangshan and Nanhui, Saturday 19 Sep 2015, assume all the waders were at the pools at dongtan, Nanhui
No ducks
BC night heron, few
Eastern cattle egret, few
Grey heron, 20+
Great white egret, few
Intermediate egret, 2
Little egret, 30
Kestrel, few
Osprey, 1
Moorhen 2
BW stilt, few
LRP, 1 juv
Lesser sand, few
Kentish, few
Swintail snipe, one on Yangshan
(CT) Long-billed dowitcher, an adult in non-breeding plumage at Dongtan pools, see photo above
Whimbrel, 2
Marsh sand, few
Greenshank, few
Wood sand, few
Grey-tailed tattler, 1
Red-necked stint, 30+. I was briefly concerned by some birds that looked rather big and pale and reminded me of semi-palmated. I then remembered that semi-p is one of the big confusion species for rns
Long-toed stint, 6+
Temminck’stint, 2
Dunlin, 20+
Gull billed tern, 15+
Little tern, 4
White-winged tern, few
Whiskered tern, 2
Cuculus sp, a few, all flying away
Barn swallow, common
Kingfisher, few
Brown shrike, few
Lt shrike common
Japanese paradise fly, 1 female on Yangshan, 1 male at the dongtan double clump
Common magpie, few
Large-billed crow, 5 on eastern Yangshan, by the temple cove, one of the few places around Shanghai reliable for this species.
Japanese tit, 1
Yellow wag type, 2
Zitting cisticola, 2
Plain prinia, few
Asian stubtail, excellent views of 1 on YS
Brown-flanked bush warbler, 2 on YS
YB warbler, few
Arctic-type warbler, 10+
Eastern-crowned warbler, common today, 15+
Pale/Sak warbler, the clump at Dongtang was packed out with these, 12+ today
Crested myna, few
(WT) Chestnut-cheeked starling, 1 male, photographed on “temple mount”, Yangshan island
Blue rock thrush, a common bird on YS
Grey-sided fly, few
Asian brown fly, very common today, 40+
Blue and white fly, 10+ today, some really smart males, I need to gen up on Zappy’s.
Tree sparrow, some
Chinese grosbeak, few
(WT) Meadow bunting, ticked at last! Though a rather disappointing pair of juveniles today on YS

Can’t wait till next weekend!

IOC taxonomic updates

BUBO have now updated their IOC list inline with IOC listing:

Those that affect China:

Northern and Reed parrotbill are now lumped under northern

mandarinus blackbird is now split from common, so we all get an armchair tick!

Purple swamp-hen is now split geographically into 5 species, those that have seen this bird in China will need to do some homework to see which they have recorded.

I got two armchair ticks from the swamp-hen and blackbird split but lost on the silver/red-billed gull lump.

Nanhui coast, Friday 25 Sep 2015

Today, the first day of my holiday, I took the metro to Dishui lake and thence by cab out to the Holiday Inn. I spent a wonderful three hours checking all the bushes in the area. The highlights were two resting grey nightjar, I also had Himalayan swiftlet. My major find was discovering that the number 33 bus goes from the hotel back to the metro bus station for only 2 RMB. Cheapskates of the world rejoice!

Weather warm with many heavy clouds, heavy showers nearby. Wind NW 5
Complete list, Friday 25 September 2015, Holiday Inn, Nanhui

Chinese spotbill, pair flew past
Grey heron, few over
Mixed little egret with prob intermediates in a flock high past
Tide up so no shorebirds noted
Japanese sparrowhawk, 1 juvenile, dead a day or two, apparently flown into a pale wall behind a hedge.
No terns or gulls today
Feral pigeon, 1
Spotted dove, 1
Grey nightjar, 2 resting birds in the magic CP
Himalayan swiftlet, at least one today
Pacific swift, 2 over
Brown shrike, 2
LT shrike, 2
Black-naped oriole, 2
Japanese par fly, 1 female
Barn swallow, 100+
Chinese bulbul, 2
Asian stubtail, 5+
Yb warbler, 1
Arctic-type, 3+
Pale/Sak 2+
Eastern crowned, 3+
Crested myna, 6
Whites/Scaly thrush, 3+ still need to comprehend latest taxonomic thinking on this species
Poss eyebrowed thrush but such poor views
Asian brown fly, 9+
B+W fly, 4+
Eastern yellow wag, 4+
White wag, 6+ leucopsis

Day out on Yangshan island tomorrow

This is very interesting to me as I am also based in China, I didn't know there was such a huge variety of birds as I don't really go too far birding!

Birding the Jiangsu coast

Firstly, welcome starburst! Yes there are a lot of birds out there, you have just got to get out to the coast to see them!

Saturday 26 September we worked Yangshan island hard with not a lot of return. Best birds were dollarbird, grey nightjar, usual warblers and flycatchers. Back on the mainland the highlight was 200+ oriental pratincole around Dongtan, many seemed to clinging onto the last scrap of land as their habitat was being utterly destroyed around them, really depressing.
On Sunday travelled up to the Jiangsu coast with Craig and Elaine, Sunday at Yangkou then all day Monday at Dongtai coast, Tuesday morning at Yangkou then back early before the rain came.
The wind on Sunday and Monday was a brisk north-easterly, by Tuesday morning it had swung round to south of east. It was clear that if you want migrants at Yangkou you need a northerly! Almost nothing of note on Tuesday morning compared to a constant stream of new arrivals on Sunday.
Highlights Jiangsu coast, 27-29 Sep 2015 D = Dongtai coast, YT = Yangkou temple
Black swan, one on the coast at D, origin suspect
(CT) Black-necked grebe, one with dabchick on a coastal pool at D
Dalmatian pelican, 2 on sea at D
Huge numbers of waders at Dongtai, best were 8+ Far eastern curlew, many grey plover, few great knot.
Nordmann’s greenshank. Huge numbers congregate at Dongtai in mid September, their numbers building up through September. At high tide they roost inland then just after the mud is exposed they flock up and roost for another hour around the point marked. I walked out onto the mud on Monday afternoon, stood in one place and panned through about 160 degrees over 20 minutes, counting the mostly sleeping birds, mixed in with grey plover and other species. Not looking too far out, only counting reasonably close birds I counted 718 Nordmann’s! World population is surmised to be around 2000 so we are looking at around a third of the entire world population within 800m of a single point on the mudflats. Numbers may peak in early October, more counts required. If you want to see this species then you need to get them on their post-high tide roosting as 10 minutes after I finished my count the entire mixed flock upped for the rich feeding grounds way out. We never saw any Nordmann’s at any other time, all other greenshank seen along the coast were common. I guess they feed together way out at the water’s edge.
(CT) Woodcock, one tired migrant dropped in by the seawall at D
Gulls : Hundreds of Saunders’s gull along the coast. A few black-tailed and assorted other white-headed gulls which will need more research.
(WT) Northern boobok, one found in the lighthouse copse at the temple on Sunday morning. This or another in the main temple forest on Tuesday morning. A cracking bird, recently split off from the brown hawk owl of south and SE Asia.
Grey-headed woodpecker, one near the coast at D
Bull-headed shrike, a total of 3 birds seen
Grey-backed thrush, the first of the Autumn on Sunday at Yangkou
Sibe thrush, 2 at YT
WT rock thrush, 5+ seen
YB bunting, the first few arriving.

Unsettled wet weather for the next few days, maybe try to get out to Nanhui after the rain has moved through.

Oh, did I mention that where I saw a third of the world's population of Nordmann's greenshank the plan is to enclose and destroy the entire stretch of mudflats? Yeah, great plan boys! Not a clue.

Attachments

• Nordmanns1.JPG
    Nordmanns1.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 96
Friday 2 Oct at Yangshan island and Nanhui

Yesterday I was out with Stephan and Xueping, we started at dawn at the rubbish dump valley then onto the yellow temple mount area. The wind had dropped and the sky was clear after two day’s rain. It was noticeably quiet, the best was a male sibe rubythroat. Back on the mainland we just missed on a chestnut-cheeked starling at the magic CP (a different male from ours at Yangshan a fortnight earlier). It did seem a little birdier in the microforests along the seawall. We finished with good scope views of the waders around the dowitcher pool at Dongtan.

Complete list, Friday 2 October 2015, Yangshan island and Nanhui

Common teal, flock of 18 flew past at Nanhui
Dabchick, few
BC Night heron, few
CPE, one
Grey heron, 50+
Little egret, few
Kestrel, 1
Amur falcon, one female high over the magic CP
Peregrine, a pair over the island
Moorhen, few
BN stilt, few
Pac golden plover, 32 at the pool
LRP few
Kentish plover, 200+
Lesser sand plover, 40+
Common snipe, 4+
Barwit, 1
Marsh sand, few
Greenshank, few
Terek sand, 10+
Sanderling, 5
RN stint, 100+
Temminck’s stint, 3+
LT stint, 1
ST sand, 2
Dunlin, 80+
BB sand, 20+
Oriental pratincole, 100+
Little tern, 2+
Whiskered tern, few
WW tern, 2
Spotted dove, few
Common king, 1
Tiger shrike, 1 juvenile on YI
Brown shrike, 4+
LT shrike, few
BN oriole, 1
Hair-crested drongo, 1 on YI
Eastern great tit, few
Barn swallow, 40+
Plain prinia, few
Chinese bulbul, few
Oriental reed warbler, 1 in a micro-forest
Dusky warbler, 6+ on YI
Radde’s warbler, 3 in the MFs
Pallas’s warbler, the first of the autumn, 3+ in MF
YB warbler, 10+
Arctic warbler, 15+
VT parrotbill, small flock in a MF
Crested myna, few
White’s thrush, 6+
Grey-backed thrush, 1
Siberian rubythroat, a cracking male on YI
Blue rock thrush, 2
WT rock thrush, 1
Grey-streaked fly, 5+
Asian brown fly, 6+
Mugimaki fly, 4+
Taiga fly, 2+
Blue+white fly, 5+
Tree sparrow, few
Eastern yellow wag, 1
White wag, few
Chestnut bunting, 1 in a MF
Black-faced bunting, 2+, the first of the autumn

Looking forward to getting back out next weekend

Nanhui coast, Sunday 4 October 2015

Today was the last day of my holiday, I took the metro down to Dishui lake and then a cab out to the northernmost micro-forest on the seawall. I walked all the way south to the Holiday inn checking all the micro-forests and clumps on the way. Just after my arrival at the Holiday inn it started to shower, I walked as far as the jetty into the lake just south of the “grandstand” (the huge white elephant of a building to the south of the hotel). It was a great day with a fresh onshore breeze, not too hot and many birds overhead on the long walk south.

Best birds Sunday 4 October, Nanhui coast
Ducks, 200+ distant small ducks probably teal but I suspect some garganey in with them.
Mallard, 5 on the sea, Spotbill, 40+ on the sea
One female type eastern marsh harrier over the fields
Intermediate egret, 150+ on the “dowitcher pool”
Grey heron now the commonest heron
Dalmatian pelican : 1 adult on the spoonbill lake, the same individual as first seen back in August
Waders : same as last Friday but no scope today
Black-tailed gull : 2 imm
Terns: usual GB, WW and whiskered
Bull-headed shrike : 1 juvenile
Flycatchers:
Asian brown : 5+
Dark sided: 1
Yellow-rumped, 1 noisy female, whistled note followed by angry rattle
Taiga, 1
Blue+white : 9+
Mugimaki, 4+
Warblers
Raddes, 1
Arctic, 5+
Pallas’s 1
Eastern crowned, 1
WT Rock thrush, superb prolonged, close views of a female
Sibe rubythroat, a superb male at the south end of the grandstand
Swinhoe’s robin, 1
Thrushes
Whites, 15+
Grey-backed, 4+
Dusky, one male on the jetty, a very early record
No buntings today

A great day out with a nice list

Last edited:
It really irritates me that so many places in China used to be great spots for wildlife, until of course they built on the land...like where you said "Oh, did I mention that where I saw a third of the world's population of Nordmann's greenshank the plan is to enclose and destroy the entire stretch of mudflats? Yeah, great plan boys! Not a clue." They just don't understand how important the wildlife is.

The destruction of the Chinese mudflats / staging posts for waders is a disaster for the populations of these birds on the East Asia flyway, as they have no-where else to go! Is someone protesting ?.......

The destruction of the Chinese mudflats / staging posts for waders is a disaster for the populations of these birds on the East Asia flyway, as they have no-where else to go! Is someone protesting ?.......

Short answer, no.

Protest in China is really non-existent. Even with regard to issues which are truly hazardous to the lives of the residents (see: air & water pollution, industrial safety, food safety, transportation safety) any form of protest is met with apathy at best, and more likely with harassment or imprisonment (or worse) of the protester.

Protest from outside China is either ignored or met with exaggerated nationalism.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back