• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Knot? and ? Kuwait (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
Taken today & I guess the sun fried my brain again,... :)

Thanks & B :)
Nicole

Attachments

• beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd-27.JPG
    beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd-27.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 185
  • beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd -1.JPG
    beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd -1.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 125
  • beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd dunlin-1-1.JPG
    beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd dunlin-1-1.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 136
First pic - I think your Knot is Curlew sandpiper and I can see Terek Sandpiper and Lesser Sand Plover or Kentish Plover?
Second pic - ??
Third pic - Curlew Sandpipers

Gareth

Hi Nicole,

Nice photos. Just a guess as to identification of "and?" Terek Sandpiper comes to mind - is that a likely species to be found in Kuwait when photographed. :)

I was thinking of Curlew Sandpipers, not sure what threw me off the track. Like I said, too much blazing sun :)

Thanks!

Hi Nicole,

Nice photos. Just a guess as to identification of "and?" Terek Sandpiper comes to mind - is that a likely species to be found in Kuwait when photographed. :)

Thanks - best I can do with my 18-200 and all things dusty :)

Will have to look up the possibilities of Tereks, but I think they are here.

Hi Nicole,

I should have said re. photo 1 for above; and I agree that there looks to be a curlew sandpiper there too.:t:

First pic is 4 Terek Sandpipers, one Curlew Sand and 2 Sanderling (latter being only one I've got any doubt over)

Last pic are two Curlew Sands

Haven't strained by eyes on the second pic yet

There are Tereks and Curlew Sands for sure, I'm not going to stick my neck out for the smaller ones (though little stint springs to mind) and I'm not even going to try pic number two!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Little Stint sounds good for the craptastic shot ;)

Are all of the pics of the same birds/ flock of birds? Birds in pic two look a bit Whimbrel like.

Gareth

Nope, not the same flock, those guys were going back and forth, watched them over an hour or so.

I think they were smaller than Whimbrel. Little Stint sounds about right and explains another photo I couldn't place.

Like I said, too much sunshine. This place is totally frying my brain ;-)

The two smaller waders in picture #1 are both Sanderling. Note the dark upperwing and fairly broad white wingbar. Little Stint does not show such a contrasting upperwing pattern.

Brian

Thanks!

Would these two fir the Sanderling bill too?
One oiled maybe?

Attachments

• beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd sanderling maybe-1.JPG
    beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd sanderling maybe-1.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 77
  • beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd greater sand plover oiled-1.JPG
    beach clean up sulainikhat jul 23rd greater sand plover oiled-1.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back