• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird ID- Delaware, USA (1 Viewer)

CKelly19519

Hi Guys,

I was birding in Cape May and then took the ferry over to Lewes, DE the last few days. Making my way back up Route 1, I stopped at Fowler's Beach on the edge of Prime Hook NWR and saw a shorebird that I was not completely sure of. Got plenty of good looks and the best shots I could get with a crappy camera, but am a novice when it comes to the shore. I was thinking willet, but it was stomping around a mudflat, so I wanted to get a few second opinions and be sure/rule out yellow-legs and other options.

Link to pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/CKelly19519/SuspectWillet?authkey=Gv1sRgCOme1q7Gj5aE1AE#

Behavior and Habitat: Picking around the mudflats close to Fowler Beach in the company of dowitchers, sanderlings. In the close vicinity was an osprey nest, some skimmers, hundreds of gulls, a kingbird, and terns. A pretty awesome saltmarsh! He strutted almost like a chicken and as I was pulling away, I saw a couple fly up to the top of a close-by 5-7 foot barren tree.

thanks for your input!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back