• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummingbird tips for newbs (1 Viewer)

watermelonpunch

Hi,
Where I work we have a hummingbird feeder that has lots of activity, so I decided to put one up at home, because I see them at a distance lots since we moved here 3 years ago. They hang out at my pink honeysuckle vine, and at the apple tree blossoms when those bloom, and at the invasive honeysuckle infestation at the edge of our back yard when that blooms profusely.

So I started with your standard hummingbird feeder type thing and I think I heard the fluttering once, but no sign they were drinking there. Never saw it.
Plus it was kind of rickety and leaky. So I got a hummzinger mini because it does get quite windy here at times, and I read that the hummzinger is good for spots that get windy sometimes.
So I heard one since then and caught a glimpse of it flying by... but not at the feeder.

I've tried 4-1 sugar-water mix I made myself. I tried uncooked, then I made some cooked. And I also tried the store bought Cornell hummingbird & oriole stuff.

Been over 2 weeks and I'm not seeing any at the feeder.
Is this not long enough to have attracted them?
I heard they come within a day usually. ?

My mother's had hummingbird feeders for years & years. She told me I need some red stuff in the vicinity. So at the same time I hung a feeder, I'd bought a store-bought red petunia plant, and it's hanging in a hanging basket nearby. It's really red. And the feeder itself is red on top.

Anyone have any tips? Any pitfalls I might be in?
Thanks!

I would use the same ratio (4-1) and use homemade variety, don't waste money on the store bought stuff. Sometimes it takes a month or so for them to find the feeder, just remember to change the water frequently. Depending on heat and humidity about every three days should work. Keep it up, they will find you.

My hummers are not making themselves well known in my yard this season. I see one or two each day but nothing like I usually get.

It's slowed down for myself to just males, for almost the past 2 weeks up to now.
I'm assuming females are on the nest and males dispersed & roving.
Early on in the season, I put a 12 ounce red plastic "go cup" sleeved umbrella fashion
over my feeders. Purely for the visual cue, once birds are seen feeding, cups are removed.

New feeder requires a bit of patience. In suburbia, may not be the only feeder around.
Once the fledges are self sufficient, should have some regulars.
With the dog days still ahead of us, lawn sprinklers are often magnetic as summer dries out.

I make home-made feeders, look over the back postings and you will see pictures. They all work pretty good, the Soy sauce bottle ones are great. Put about four feeders up in places hummers like, not just places you can see out of windows. Then wait for August and September, because that's when they start hitting the feeders.

Hummingbird feeders under shade sail

My first post! Will hummingbirds come to feeders under a shade sail? I have a sail across my garden because of the extreme southern heat! I'd like to hang a hummingbird feeder under it by attaching fishing line to the cross points of the sail. Then it occurred to me the hummers wouldn't be able to see it from the sky. Should I just put one up an change the water often and see if "word spreads"?

Thanks for advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back