• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared doves - Satellite dish. (1 Viewer)

John Marshall

I have had three weeks clearing twigs under my satellite dish on a South facing gable end on my bungalow. In all I have tidied up three carrier bags of twigs etc as the Collared doves could not get them to secure in order to nest. At last they have been successful in making a firm platform and have built - for Collared doves - a very large structure. They are now sitting on their clutch and their determined efforts have been rewarded. Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose but their continuous perseverence has been enlightening.

Nice one John, worth the cleaning up eh! got to give em credit for perseverance. :clap:

The Jackdaws do this at my mother in law's house when building their nest in the roof. They leave an absolutely massive pile of sticks and wool on the ground, which needs clearing every day. I don't know how they thought they'd get some of the sticks in there, they're enormous!

John Marshall said:
I have had three weeks clearing twigs under my satellite dish on a South facing gable end on my bungalow. In all I have tidied up three carrier bags of twigs etc as the Collared doves could not get them to secure in order to nest. At last they have been successful in making a firm platform and have built - for Collared doves - a very large structure. They are now sitting on their clutch and their determined efforts have been rewarded. Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose but their continuous perseverence has been enlightening.

Supa John,
Hope all goes well and you have youngsters soon. :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back