• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target Little Bittern (1 Viewer)

Johnny1

In about 8 hours time I'll be winging my way to Majorca, this will be my third visit and so far I havn't connected with Little Bittern a bird which has always been high on my "must see" list. This time I'll be staying close to the Albufera which must increase my chances. I'll let you know how I got on when I return in two weeks time.

Hi,
Try the 3 bridges area in the Albufera -which is well into the park past the visitors centre. Cross the main bridge (over the big "canal") where Purple Swamphen is common. The path crosses 2 further bridges then another path leads right towards the Bishop 1 & 2 hides; to the left, just off the last bridge is a small open area adjacent to tall reeds -with an extensive reedbed. Stand at this area (on the bridge) & you should be almost guaranteed Little Bittern. Try to get there early before the park gets too busy.
This area is to the left of the start of the path shown on maps as "Cami dels Senyals". I took this image & a number of others at exactly this spot & have seen Little Bittern there on all 3 of my visits to Mallorca : www.birdforum.net/bird_view.php?bid=4674
Best of luck,
Steve

Walk the marshes and find the longest uninterrupted length of ditch you can look along.........sit and wait for one to fly across to the other side.........while away the time watching for alpine swifts and drinking San Mig....nice place to bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back