• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Rucksack to buy (1 Viewer)

danake2

I am after a rucksack about 25 litres. There is so many to choose from so does anyone know of a good make to start of with. Thanks

Hi

No complaints from the Blue Ice rucksacks Cotswold Leisure do: only negative would be lack of an ice axe loop to help attach a tripod. 35 litres is a good size to take as a cabin bag for those foreign trips... [realise you're after 25 though]

Alternative is to take advantage of the periodic cheap rucksacks in Aldi or Lidl. These are dirt cheap and not bad, but depends how urgently you need one.

Hope this helps

Fernley

I've just bought a Lowe Alpine Contour Mountain from http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1000000526530
for £29 (RRP £79)
Very pleased with it - has all that ice axe stuff and is compatible with bladder hydration systems.

I was using a LowePro trekker to carry cameras, bins, food etc - find the Contour mountain much more comfortable BUT being a rucksack it doesn't have custom compartments.

The back supports are split providing ventilation, the straps are very well padded and sit in place nicely so the sternum and waist straps are not always needed.

Last edited:
Went out today and tried out my new Highlander Forces 33(litres)rucksack. First impressions are good. It swallowed my Nikon ed111, bins, 1 litre waterbottle and fieldguide. The reason I chose this one is the two external pockets - it also has numerous straps and bits and bobs that will come in useful. It is very light and comfortable to wear - it is well padded and has ventilation areas that seemed to work well - it was very hot today. The material is tough and water repellent - there is a good size waterproof cover in the top zip compartment. It comes in forces green and is ideal from a birders perspective. Price £25.99 from Yeoman stores.
Regards
Jim

I've got a forces 33 too and use it as a day sack.
I recently bought the 55 model from a member of another site.
I noted lots of praise for the forces range and wanted the o.g. colour, they're tough,cheap and members of the armed forces do use them, so i'm sure they'll last me for a while.
Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back