• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Idea's for a couple of hours in Swansea & Norwich (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
1: I realise this is very short notice, but, I am taking Wife & Son to look around Swansea Uni tomorrow ( Wed 18/2/04 ) and number one wife has kindly said I can do a couple of hours birding ( about 12 - 3pm? ). I have seen WelshFalcons posts of a year ago for Swansea Bay & Mumbles. Any other suggestions.

2: On Saturday (21st Feb ) its the turn of Norwich. As I do not know the area its alittle difficult working out whats within a few minutes drive of Norwich. So any help, and directions please!.

Thanks in advance.

Alan,

This is very vague but when I worked in Swansea there was a lake next to the hotel I stayed in. This was at the north side of the town. Might hold something in winter. You would probably struggle to do better than Mumbles though.

Stephen.

Hi Alan,

This may be too far east of Swansea...but the Gwent levels reserve at Nash / Goldcliff are 'Cetti City' at the moment....I lost count of the number of singing birds!! There's been a drake Ring Necked Duck there 4 most of the Winter...Raven and Peregrine are dead certs!
Bear it in mind 'cos you'll pass by it (ish) on the M4.

Have a Nice day.

Dave.

deboo said:
Hi Alan,

This may be too far east of Swansea...but the Gwent levels reserve at Nash / Goldcliff are 'Cetti City' at the moment....I lost count of the number of singing birds!! There's been a drake Ring Necked Duck there 4 most of the Winter...Raven and Peregrine are dead certs!
Bear it in mind 'cos you'll pass by it (ish) on the M4.

Have a Nice day.

Dave.

Last few days there - Bittern, Ring-necked Duck, male Hen Harrier, Peregrine, 2 Avocet, Short-eared Owl and 6 singing Cetti's (1 seen)..........

Gwent sightings - http://www.gwentbirds.org.uk/getsitings4.php

Glamorgan sightings - http://www.freebok.net/books/sightings/view.html

Andy.

Hi there Alan, near Norwich you have Strumpshaw reserve, as Tim says (TG342 066) with Buckenham marshes just up the road, (TG351 057). Can get some fantastic views of the Marsh Harriers at Strumpshaw and, birds aside, as a place to go I don't know many better. Not much at all at Buckenham last week though.

Or alternatively Surlingham Church Marsh RSPB, park near the church (TG 305 066) with Wheatfen reserve close by (TG325 057). Both well worth a couple of hours each.

OS map 134 Norwich & The Broads.

Have a good day

Stepen,Tim,Deboo,Satrow,CarlosGY

Thankyou all for the info. I will post what I see and decide to do.
Swansea: being lazy, :flyaway: I will probably stick with the bay as waders, sea ducks etc are fairly rare in Berkshire!.

As to Norwich. I will need to look at maps and make up my mind later.

Many Thanks

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back