• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Timing a coastal holiday (1 Viewer)

hornet

I am planning a coastal trip for a two-week holiday this year, exploring the UK from Lindisfarne to Cornwall, taking in Yorkshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent and other points in between.

My question is this - when should I go?

My local patch is Warwickshire, so in my 18-months or so birding, my coastal list is pathetically thin. It's not rarities I'm after, just a good number of typical UK shore and sea birds.

The holiday can be any time between May and September, and any advice on a really good time would be welcome.

Any tips on top spots would also be welcome - I guess I'm thinking of Holy Island, Bempton, Cley, Minsmere and Dungeoness at the moment.

Northumberland.
Holy Island, September in migration conditions.
Farne Islands, June/July Good for seabirds.
Druridge Bay, July August good for Waders Skuas Terns.
St Marys, Island July August Terns especially Roseates Skuas Shearwaters.
Newbiggan Church Point great seawatching.

Hope this helps regards.

Cuddy.

Thanks guys, that's extremely helpful.

It sounds like I could easily spend the first week in Northumberland alone. As a soft southerner now living in the Midlands I've never been that far north - should be an experience.

Any more views or ideas would be welcome. I've got a few days before I confirm the dates at work.

What about Bempton? Can any Yorkshire birders tell me when this might be at its best?

hornet said:
What about Bempton? Can any Yorkshire birders tell me when this might be at its best?

June/July (ish) - breeding season for the sea-birds. It's a real sight with all the Gannets, Kittiwakes, etc, clinging to their small patch of cliff-side nest.

digi-birder said:
June/July (ish) - breeding season for the sea-birds. It's a real sight with all the Gannets, Kittiwakes, etc, clinging to their small patch of cliff-side nest.

Thanks Diane - that sounds fantastic. A real treat for a landlocked birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back