• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (4 Viewers)

This conversation is just gettin' plain wierd now!... :-O :eek!:

Is the bar open round at Tim's? I need a drink, then it will all become clear, or possibly fuzzy and warm... B :)

Mike

This conversation is just gettin' plain wierd now!... :-O :eek!:

Is the bar open round at Tim's? I need a drink, then it will all become clear, or possibly fuzzy and warm... B :)

Mike

I have the feeling that when I finally find my Kentucky Warbler it no longer will be quite the same;)

Reading this and I am beginning to feel hungry and thirsty.....

However Cornish pasty is on my menu and Cornwall is the only place that I have ever been lucky enough to see a sea otter .... a bit of useless information there I'm afraid! I look forward to seeing the progress on the otter painting.
Well someone had to bring it back a bit..... ;)

There are Sea otters at Penberth Cove, Take the road before the turning for Treen (Logans Rock PH), And yer right , best Pasties are in Cornwall, Like Guiness, It never tastes good if its exported out over the county line........
Tims Bar must be open by now....knock knock.....

The otter continues on.

Since this is a commission piece I didn't want to do anything out of the ordinary so it's very much a 'safe' picture. The ultimate owners have just moved into a house called 'Otter House', it's by a river so otters surrounded by kelp etc were obviously out. Still some work to do with the rocks and the foreground grass, not to mention of course the otter's whiskers. I may then do some general tidying up and perhaps add a leaf or two to the water, maybe an insect will make an appearance, but I think I'm on the home straight at least now.

The weather on Sunday morning was utterly awful, sheeting, continuous rain and strong winds. The sketchbook didn't even come out as, by the time we'd found any birds at all we'd run out of time because Christmas cometh!

Mike

Attachments

• otter-wip2.jpg
    otter-wip2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 69
Looks great to me! Solidly composed, beautiful colors and, from my little knowledge, a very believable otter. My guess is that the new owners will be quite happy. The painting has a very appealing solidness to it.

And you're right, 'Christmas cometh'. I think my recent spate of work is now going to diminish drastically as I start to prepare for it..................

That's a cracking otter, Mike. I'm having a good run of spotting these at the moment, I've seen one practically every day for a month or so while out walking the dog. On Sunday I watched him catch and eat at least a dozen fish, not more than a few yards away from me (and from a very p*****-off lurcher).

T'other Mike

I was at home yesterday and I've taken today too, all to use up leave that I'm told I can't carry over anymore. Grrr!

But it gave me the opportunity to get the otter painting finished. I completely reworked the foreground grass and added the details like the whiskers etc.

I realise that the image doesn't look all that 'wild' but the idea was to make it look like it could be at the bottom of the client's garden, so the cropped grass and the, somewhat random, rocks are forgivable I think in the context of the commission.

I'm calling it a day on this one anyway so let's hope the client likes it!...

BTW, welcome to the forum 'rmarley65', I can see why you'd make my conservatory your first port of call here! Explore the rest of BF, especially the wildlife art subforum, there's a lot to enjoy. (Where did he go!?)

Mike

Attachments

• otter-house-painting.jpg
    otter-house-painting.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
BTW, welcome to the forum 'rmarley65', I can see why you'd make my conservatory your first port of call here! Explore the rest of BF, especially the wildlife art subforum, there's a lot to enjoy. (Where did he go!?)

Mike

He got quickly zapped!

Didn't he though!

It's an ambition of mine to see a wild otter, much like many others I'll bet. The closest I've come so far is otter tracks in the mud of a local river. This one is from an otter 'sanctuary' in the New Forest. The background is just invented to look, hopefully, like a back garden that backs onto a river.

Mike

Didn't he though!

It's an ambition of mine to see a wild otter, much like many others I'll bet. The closest I've come so far is otter tracks in the mud of a local river. This one is from an otter 'sanctuary' in the New Forest. The background is just invented to look, hopefully, like a back garden that backs onto a river.

Mike
It is a very dynamic painting and I very much like the use of colour. I reckon they will love it too.
I saw some otters locally in the river early one misty morning but have sometimes been tempted to think they were a figment of my imagination!
I have never seen reports of them being there or come across anyone who has seen any evidence of them in the place that I saw them!
It leads me to think that they are very secretive as a rule.

very fine otter piece, for such beautiful creatures, I haven't seen enough of them, just one fleeting glimpse on the Dyfi estuary, and then a more obliging one playing in the water of Aberystwyth harbour. Found out this week though that they're extinct in my region, seems odd to me as we now have naturally recolonised beavers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back