• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatidae (2 Viewers)

Eunetta Bp 1856

Eunetta Bonaparte 1856.
Bonaparte CL. 1856. Excursion dans les divers musées d'Allemagne, de Hollande et de Belgique (suite et fin), et Tableaux paralléliques de l'ordre des Palmipèdes. C.-R. Séan. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 43:643-652.; p. 650; [OD]
Originally included nominal species: Anas falcata "Pallas" = Georgi 1775, Anas formosa Georgi 1775, Anas bimaculata "Penn." = Keyserling & Blasius 1840.
Type fixation: subsequent designation...

Would anybody know on which account this name is used for the Falcated Duck? The AOU check-list, as far back as I can trace ([1931]), always made this a type fixation by monotypy, but this is obviously not correct. The Richmond index has three cards for this name:
  • The [first one] indicates (correctly) that Bonaparte originally included falcata Pall., formosa Georgi, and bimaculata "Penn.", noting about falcata:
    On p. 1025, he says this "n'est pas le type de mon Eunetta."
  • The [second one] corrects the authorship of falcata to Georgi and that of bimaculata to Keyserling & Blasius, which are the accepted sources for these names, and notes:
    subsequently restricted to A. formosa Georgi, by Bonaparte, op. cit., p. 1025.
  • The [third one] intimates that the genotype is Eunetta falcata (Georgi) without explanation.
True, writing that something is not the type of a genus, or subsequently restricting a genus to a single species, doesn't amount to a type designation. But what Bonaparte wrote on [p. 1025] is actually only partly quoted in the Richmond index; the full text reads:
Anas falcata n'est pas le type de mon genre Eunetta : il est bon de le dire pour ceux qui prétendent que la première espèce énumérée doit être considérée comme telle. Sauf les filets de la queue, ce beau Canard se rapproche bien plus d'Anas acuta que de A. formosa, véritable type du genre tenant de plus prés aux Sarcelles.
= "Anas falcata is not the type of my genus Eunetta : it is good to say it for those who pretend that the first species listed must be considered as such. Except the tail streamers, this nice Duck approaches Anas acuta much more than A. formosa, true type of the genus which is closer to the Teals." (My translation.)
If there is a way to disregard the last sentence, as if it did not constitute a valid type designation, it currently escapes me.

Last edited:
Eunetta Bonaparte 1856.
Bonaparte CL. 1856. Excursion dans les divers musées d'Allemagne, de Hollande et de Belgique (suite et fin), et Tableaux paralléliques de l'ordre des Palmipèdes. C.-R. Séan. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 43:643-652.; p. 650; [OD]
Originally included nominal species: Anas falcata "Pallas" = Georgi 1775, Anas formosa Georgi 1775, Anas bimaculata Keyserling & Blasius 1840.

Would anybody know on which account this name is used for the Falcated Duck? The AOU check-list, as far back as I can trace ([1931]), always made this a type fixation by monotypy, but this is obviously not correct. The Richmond index has three cards for this name:
  • The [first one] indicates (correctly) that Bonaparte originally included falcata Pall., formosa Georgi, and bimaculata "Penn.", noting about falcata:
  • The [second one] corrects the authorship of falcata to Georgi and that of bimaculata to Keyserling & Blasius, which are the accepted sources for these names, and notes:
  • The [third one] intimates that the genotype is Eunetta falcata (Georgi) without explanation.
True, writing that something is not the type of a genus, or subsequently restricting a genus to a single species, doesn't amount to a type designation. But what Bonaparte wrote on [p. 1025] is actually only partly quoted in the Richmond index; the full text reads:

= "Anas falcata is not the type of my genus Eunetta : it is good to say it for those who pretend that the first listed species must be considered as such. Except the tail streamers, this nice Duck approaches Anas acuta much more than A. formosa, true type of the genus which is closer to the Teals." (My translation.)
If there is a way to disregard the last sentence as not constituting a valid type designation, it currently escapes me.

So if I understand, Sibirionetta would be a junior synonym of Eunetta?

So if I understand, Sibirionetta would be a junior synonym of Eunetta?
Unless there is another acceptable type fixation than Bonaparte's designation, it could be, yes.
(One possibility to consider, perhaps: given how it is worded, it's not completely unthinkable that Bonaparte's text might be a reaction to someone else having treated falcata as the type; and of course if this hypothetical 'someone else' published it, this might constitute a valid type designation. Caveats: it's a lot of 'if's, I have not seen any such designation, only a couple of months would have been available between the OD and Bonaparte's designation to publish it, and I find no indication that the usual treatment is based on this type of thing.)

Sorry, Parzudaki On page 16 it has Eunetta having falcata and formosa and bimaculata.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/104414#page/28/mode/1up . Trying to date this. Reviewed by Selys and Selys review is reviewed by Bonaparte. None of this answers Laurent's questions.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48710#page/125/mode/1up .
Selys mentions Eunetta bimaculata as a hybrid recgnized by Bonaparte (March 1857)
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48710#page/136/mode/1up .
Degland in 1867 says that formosa is "Type du genre Eunetta" .
Page 523 of https://books.google.com/books?id=YgU7NXGnwB8C&dq="Type+du+genre+Eunetta"&source=gbs_navlinks_s .
In 1854 Z. Gerbe co-author with Degland talks about Anas Formosa as a hybrid.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48620#page/359/mode/1up .
And a nice picture.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/48620#page/721/mode/1up .
Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum, Volume 27 has falcata as type of Eunetta, page 218.(1895)
In: The Indian Ducks and Their Allies, By Edward Charles Stuart Baker 1908 only falcata in the genus.

Last edited:
Look at the link in post #122, it's all there ;)

It lists all the species for each genus, but does not state that the list is the sequence for each genus. On occasion, earlier similar preliminary announcements were not in the sequences finally adopted. I'm just being cautious here, as is Maffong, I suspect...;)
MJB

A draft proposal to AOU NACC:
Change of genus Sibirionetta to Eunetta because of priority:
Sibirionetta is dated from 1929 with Baikal teal as type. (Nettion formosum) but Bonaparte made Baikal Teal the type species of Eunetta in 1856.
Neither Falcated Teal nor Baikal Teal were listed in the first three Check-list of North American Birds. In the Fourth Edition of the Check-list (1931) “Eunatta Bonaparte, Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. (Paris) XIII, No. 13 (for Sept. 29), 1856, p. 650. Type, by monotypy, Anas falcate Georgi.” Baikal Teal is listed as Nettion formosum on the next page. In the Nineteenth Supplement from a 1944 Auk page 443 Eunetta was merged into Anas. It cited Birds of the World vol. 1 1931 James Peters who says of Anas “The only other alternative is to break it up into a large number of genera and subgenera each one monotypic”. In this month’s Auk Genus SIBIRIONETTA Boetticher
Sibirionetta Boetticher, 1929, Anz. Orn. Ges. Bayern 2: 11. Type, by original designation, Anas formosa, Georgi.
Also in this month’s Auk the committee put Eunetta as a synonym of Mareca:
Genus MARECA Stephens
Mareca Stephens, 1824, in Shaw, Gen. Zool. 12(2): 130.
Type, by subsequent designation (Eyton, 1838),
Mareca fistularis Stephens Anas penelope Lin-
naeus.
Chaulelasmus ‘‘G. R. Gray’’ Bonaparte, 1838, Geogr.
Comp. List, p. 56. Type, by monotypy, Anas strepera
Linnaeus.
Eunetta Bonaparte, 1856, Compte Rendus Acad. Sci.
Paris 43: 650. Type, by monotypy, Anas falcata
Georgi

The committee also informed: Take Eunetta out of the synonymy from Anas.
Eunetta Bonaparte 1856.
Originally included nominal species: Anas falcata "Pallas" = Georgi 1775, Anas formosa Georgi 1775, Anas bimaculata "Penn." = Keyserling & Blasius 1840.

• The [first one] indicates (correctly) that Bonaparte originally included falcata Pall., formosaGeorgi, and bimaculata "Penn.", noting about falcata:
Quote:
On p. 1025, he says this "n'est pas le type de mon Eunetta."
Quote:
subsequently restricted to A. formosa Georgi, by Bonaparte, op. cit., p. 1025.
Quote:
Anas falcata n'est pas le type de mon genre Eunetta : il est bon de le dire pour ceux qui prétendent que la première espèce énumérée doit être considérée comme telle. Sauf les filets de la queue, ce beau Canard se rapproche bien plus d'Anas acuta que de A. formosa, véritable type du genre tenant de plus prés aux Sarcelles.
= "Anas falcata is not the type of my genus Eunetta : it is good to say it for those who pretend that the first species listed must be considered as such. Except the tail streamers, this nice Duck approaches Anas acuta much more than A. formosa, true type of the genus which is closer to the Teals." (My translation.)
If there is a way to disregard the last sentence, as if it did not constitute a valid type designation, it currently escapes me. Sibirionetta is a junior synonym of Eunetta unless there is another acceptable type fixation than Bonaparte's designation, it could be, yes.
(One possibility to consider, perhaps: given how it is worded, it's not completely unthinkable that Bonaparte's text might be a reaction to someone else having treated falcata as the type; and of course if this hypothetical 'someone else' published it, this might constitute a valid type designation. Caveats: it's a lot of 'if's, I have not seen any such designation, only a couple of months would have been available between the OD and Bonaparte's designation to publish it, and I find no indication that the usual treatment is based on this type of thing.) Degland in 1867 says that formosa is "Type du genre Eunetta" .
Page 523 of https://books.google.com/books?id=Yg...gbs_navlinks_s . Bonaparte named the White-winged Scoter for Degland.
Instead of Sibirionetta the AOU should use Eunetta for Baikal Teal : Eunatta Bonaparte, Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. (Paris) XXXXIII, (for Sept. 29), 1856, p. 650, (for 24 Nov.) 1856 p. 1025. Type, by subsequent designation, Anas formosa Georgi.
Literature cited:
AOU Fourth Ed. Check-list of North American Birds
AOU 19th and 58th Supplement to Check-list
Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. (Paris) XXXXIII, 1856 .
Anz. Orn. Ges. Bayern 2: 11 1929.
July 18, 2017
Justified Ancients of Mu Mu
Laurent Raty

Laurent I do not know your affiliation.

Last edited:
The draft version of IOC 7.3 can be found here

The new sequence of ducks is indeed Sibirionetta, Spatula, Mareca, Anas, with some rearrangements made within those families
Sibirionetta
formosa
Spatula
querquedula
hottentota
puna
versicolor
platalea
cyanoptera
discors
smithii
rhynchotis
clypeata
Mareca
strepera
falcata
penelope
sibilatrix
americana
marecula ††
Anas
sparsa
undulata
melleri
superciliosa
laysanensis
wyvilliana
luzonica
poecilorhyncha
zonorhyncha
platyrhynchos
fulvigula
rubripes
diazi
capensis
bahamensis
erythrorhyncha
georgica
eatoni
acuta
crecca
carolinensis
flavirostris
andium
gibberifrons
albogularis
theodori ††
gracilis
castanea
bernieri
chlorotis
aucklandica
nesiotis

Anserini - True geese

Ottenburghs, Megens, Kraus, van Hooft, van Wieren, Crooijmans, Ydenberg, Groenen, Prins. 2017. A history of hybrids? Genomic patterns of introgression in the True Geese. BMC Evol Biol, 17:201.
[whole paper]

Jente thank you for posting I love figure 2 of your blog. I once diagnosed a bird at a local city park pond as a hybrid of Ross's Goose and Swan Goose. Your figure 2 helps explain how that might have happened. The Ross's had a damaged wing. I empathise with the true geese because I have my own history of "wrong mate choice".

Chendytes and Camptorhynchus

Janet C. Buckner, Ryan Ellingson, David A. Gold, Terry L. Jones, David K. Jacobs. Mitogenomics supports an unexpected taxonomic relationship for the extinct diving duck Chendytes lawi and definitively places the extinct Labrador Duck. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 13 December 2017.

Abstract:

Chendytes lawi, an extinct flightless diving anseriform from coastal California, was traditionally classified as a sea duck, tribe Mergini, based on similarities in osteological characters. We recover and analyze mitochondrial genomes of C. lawi and five additional Mergini species, including the extinct Labrador Duck, Camptorhyncus labradorius. Despite its diving morphology, C. lawi is reconstructed as an ancient relictual lineage basal to the dabbling ducks (tribe Anatini), revealing an additional example of convergent evolution of characters related to feeding behavior among ducks. The Labrador Duck is sister to Steller’s Eider which may provide insights into the evolution and ecology of this poorly known extinct species. Our results demonstrate that inclusion of full length mitogenomes, from taxonomically distributed ancient and modern sources can improve phylogeny reconstruction of groups previously assessed with shorter single-gene mitochondrial sequences.

Note that Lophodytes cucullatus is clearly embedded within Mergus. In fact , there are very few difference between these two genera , we can suggest their synonymization

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back