• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (1 Viewer)

DMKSlater

Just a thread to keep people up to date with sightings and reports in the Moray area.

Long billed Dowitcher, at Lossiemouth East Beach. Upstream from the bridge over the river usually beside the Wigeon and Redshak.

King Eider, Drake in eclipse off Roseilse car park ( use the first parking spaces before turning right to main car park)

Surf Scoter. Same area or off Burghead.

Will anybody birding in the area and get good species please make a note on this thread.

"Good birding"

Reports for today Thurs 06 Oct 11

Long Billed Dowitcher still showing well at Lossiemouth

Lesser Yellowlegs at Findhorn, exact location not given however was reported before on the mudflats near the approach lights on RAF Kinloss side of bay.

Inspired by this thread I had a trip down today, didnt find the LY, but only had about 30 mins to search, however the Dowicher was showing well.

Also had a Blackcap at the Golf Course car park.

Glad it inspired you, and look forward to more contibutions from your good self!

The Dowitcher is a cracker, thinking of heading back tomorrow (Fri) to see if I can get better digiscoped pics.

Gets fairly close Marcus, with your kit I think you would get reasonable shots (not frame filling ones though)

When you get to Lossie park in the small car park just after the bridge across to east beach, the bird is usually straight across and slightly right of this point. Where the sandy river bank starts turning into mud and gulleys. And best at Low tide.

Good luck!

Quiet day in the Findhorn area, the highlights being 7 Skylark over high heading West 1 House Martin and 4 Long-tailed Ducks.

Another highlight is the fact the bird hide at Findhorn Bay is being renovated, with a combination lock being fitted, hopefully hide should be up and running in 10/15 days.
POC on the hide door is a Mr Pat Caroll 01309 691001. One big down point is the amount of windsurfer/kite surfers using the area DIRECTLY in front of hide to launch from!!

Anyone have updated details on Long Billed Dowitcher at Lossiemouth or Lesser Yellowlegs at Findhorn?

Calling all Birders that use Findhorn bay!!

I don't know if anyone has been to Findhorn bay bird hide recently however that area in front of the hide is now being plagued by wind surfers and kite surfers.

The hide is at present being "done up" and should be ready for use within the next couple of weeks, however with the current use by surfers and what looks like a shooting butt right in front of the hide it will be completely unusable.

Can anyone that has experienced this problem and would like to see the hide and area used for what it is designed for please contact the Findhorn Bay comittee Mr Pat Caroll on 01309 691001. The more people that highlight the problem may result in some action being taken.

Spotted Redshank at Lossie Estuary, just upstream from footbridge.

Hide at Findhorn not open as yet, have had a few comments about the location of the hide and I was thinking of getting in touch with the comittee to see what the possibilities would be of getting it shifted.

Any ideas or thoughts on best location to get things started?

Dave

Duffus Castle--240 Whoopers , 2 Wheaters , 1 merlin
Milltown Airfield area--52 Whoopers , 8000 Pinks
Just West of Roseisle --King Eider with lots of Commons
7 Little Auks at Strathlene this morning

Last edited:
Thanks to Dave's excellent directions I managed a quick visit to Roseisle yesterday before my flight from Inverness [the airport is only 30 minutes away handily]. Probably a scope job to find the King Eider easily, as with bins I was unsure for a while. It was with a flock of 100+ Eider and Scoter, with a RB Merganser and a Slav Grebe thrown in for good measure. Just to try and help anyone else going to see it I'd observe:

. in it's current state of moult its very dark
. best features to spot are the distinct sails and the orange bill
. it does look quite a bit smaller than the common eiders
. it was mainly seen on the edge of the flock
. it seemed to look lower in the water than the rest
. there are a lot of 1w eiders in the flock which at first draw the eye!
. the flock was west of the car park out from the third pillbox

Attached is a dodgy record shot just to show what it looks like currently, cheers, Peter

Attachments

• DSC_6336.jpg
    DSC_6336.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 281
Outside the Moray area but of interest:

White tailed Eagle being seen regularily from the top car park in the Findhorn Valley, has been in area for almost a week now and often seen in company of Golden Eagles.

King Eider still off Roseisle (still well in eclipse plumage) Good numbers of Slav Grebes in same area.
Report of a Hoopoe in Lossie woods near to boar head rock.
Still numerous Whooper Swans in the area (can everyone check for neck collars and leg rings please)

Dave

Bizarre sighting today. I was working the shoreline between Burghead and Lossie. Through the bins I can see an unusual 'dumpy' wader on the rocks at Hopeman. Excited I get closer as I can't make anything out. The bird moves onto the beach and its immediately apparent that the bird is a Grey Partridge. Most bizarre anti-climax!

Flock of Pintail Ducks at Findhorn Bay , could be seen easily from the layby near Forres . I,ve posted pic earlier today .

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back