• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dripping feeders (1 Viewer)

Hi Ehrodz,
When first hung, physics are similar to priming a pump. A single dispensing orifice, a finger can be held over the opening as its inverted. Then bee guard replaced. Mine, I turn over quick and wipe off with a wet towel, because they're old 4 way feeders.

If the loss of nectar is bothersome, a tray feeder like below is an option
http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/images/ASPECTS367.jpg

Last edited:
For dish-type feeders (like the Aspects HummZinger) there is another reason, especially here in the hot southwest. The nectar I make is stored for a few hours in the refrigerator. I then put the nectar into the feeders and place the feeders outside where it is 100 degrees F. The nectar warms and expansion occurs. Some nectar spills over the edge. Not sure if you would see the same effect with bottle feeders, unless they are completely full.

For this reason I don't fill my dish-type feeders completely full.

Last edited:
Bottle feeders hung in the sun can have the problem of internal air heating. As it heats, the internal pressure increases and will force nectar out.
All the war-like male Rubys here, I'm surprised one hasn't broke a feeder over another ones head.

Why do feeders drip when you first fill and hang them up? Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks.
I don't think you can prevent all drips. For this reason I hang the feeders out away from the house, over natural ground, and not over porches or paths. I don't hang them too far away because I want to see them from the windows. Ants have a knack for finding the drips on the ground but they haven't, as yet, found their way up the nearest tree, out onto the correct branch, and then down the rope.

Thanks guys. I think I have the same problem as the PumaMan. Its very hot in South Texas and the nectar is cool when I first set it out so expansion is bound to occur. I'll have to get some of the dish type feeders. Otherwise I'll just have to live with the problem.

Otherwise I'll just have to live with the problem.
Feeding birds is, generally, a messy endeavor. Even feeding the other birds has its mess. It's the small price we pay. About twice a year I have to shovel and cleanup under the other bird feeders. The seed chaff and husks accumulate, especially under the finch feeders. But none goes to waste -- there are always birds and small mammals on the ground picking thru the debris.

Hi Ehrodz,

If the loss of nectar is bothersome, a tray feeder like below is an option
http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/images/ASPECTS367.jpg

I purchased a feeder like this one, the brand name was "Perky Pet". I find it a good feeder until it rains. the heavy rain we get in North Carolina, often refills the feeder hence watering down the nectar, unless it is under cover. I also find that insects get inside it easily and can't get out which means a more regular cleaning routine that my other feeders. The one I have found to be the best and it doesn't drip too much was the cheapest $1 feeder from Walmart.

. . . the heavy rain we get in North Carolina, often refills the feeder hence watering down the nectar, unless it is under cover.
I have covers over my four dish-style feeders. They have several functions:

(1) When it rains, less water gets into the bowls so the nectar is less diluted.
(2) They provide some additional shade, although three of my four feeders are hung beneath trees.
(3) Keeps perching birds from crapping all over the feeders. Aside from keeping the nectar cleaner, longer, it keeps the feeder itself cleaner.

I purchased a feeder like this one, the brand name was "Perky Pet". I find it a good feeder until it rains. the heavy rain we get in North Carolina, often refills the feeder hence watering down the nectar, unless it is under cover. I also find that insects get inside it easily and can't get out which means a more regular cleaning routine that my other feeders. The one I have found to be the best and it doesn't drip too much was the cheapest $1 feeder from Walmart.

I normally have three hopper types up, on both the north and south of the house, hung from the eaves in shade and protected from rain, but offset from windows to minimize or avoid any glass strikes. This year added a forth hung from a walnut tree, ants quickly became a problem. That one is now hung from a pipe stand, and is exposed to weather. Will find out if rain is a problem. Other than hummers, only had a Downy woodpecker actually on the feeder. A few times during movements, have had Cape May warblers looking interested. Have a mulberry tree, and those warbs seem to love sweet stuff. If they have to soil my feeder, that's fine, it will be cleaned up quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back