• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perfect leaving present (1 Viewer)

Rob_D

We're all packed and about to leave Colombia to return to the UK after 20 months here. I've found a real joy in watching the hummingbirds coming to my balcony feeder. I regularly got visits from many individuals of 4 different species (and a 5th now and again), including Rufous-tailed Hummingbirds.

Two days before leaving the 5th floor apartment (on the NE edge of the city of Bucaramanga, Santander) a small light brown hummer, obviously a juvenile, appeared on the balcony railing.

Although I had hopes otherwise, at first I assumed it was a recently-fledged Rufous-tailed. It seemed healthy and was amazingly trusting- I could touch it (gently) with my fingertip and it didn't seem to have yet become an expert flier like the other hummers.

However, after confirmation from a species expert (Oswaldo Cortes) it turns out it is a Chestnut-bellied Hummingbird (Amazilia castaneiventris). This is a Colombian endemic, classified as an endangered species with only a few thousand individuals. I knew they were living to the south, in Chicamocha canyon, and last year had even been seen about 10km away, but only in my dreams did I think one would appear on my balcony. I also never thought it might hang around for photos.

What a great surprise leaving present! An endangered species on my balcony |:D||:D|

Attachments

• Amazilia juve 5.jpg
    Amazilia juve 5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 62
  • Amazilia juve 2.jpg
    Amazilia juve 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back