• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter Hummingbirds? Where do they feed? (1 Viewer)

rseymour

Here in Livermore, CA, some of the hummers seem to stay and not migrate.

Where do they feed if they have no hummingbird feeders (like mine) to visit? All the flowers here are long gone. |:S|

rseymour said:
Here in Livermore, CA, some of the hummers seem to stay and not migrate.

Where do they feed if they have no hummingbird feeders (like mine) to visit? All the flowers here are long gone. |:S|

There's still plenty around here too and still visit the feeders as well as the flowers that are still here everywhere. I understand that eucalyptus is a major source of nectar in the winter. Check your local euclayptus trees for blossom

I could be remembering wrong, but I believe the bulk of a hummer's diet is insects and flower nectar, or feeders, are a high-energy plus.

Katy Penland said:
I could be remembering wrong, but I believe the bulk of a hummer's diet is insects and flower nectar, or feeders, are a high-energy plus.

I thought I'd mention that in winter and early spring, before flowers are in bloom, hummingbirds will visit trees that have been 'drilled' by Sapsuckers, and feed on the sap. Hummingbirds are resourceful and resilient little buggers.

HouseFinch said:
I thought I'd mention that in winter and early spring, before flowers are in bloom, hummingbirds will visit trees that have been 'drilled' by Sapsuckers, and feed on the sap. Hummingbirds are resourceful and resilient little buggers.

Thanks for all your replies. I never realized all the non-flower sources they had.

I feel better now .................. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back