• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monitor Calibration (1 Viewer)

mjmw

formally known as mw_aurora
I have a ColorVision Spyder and software that I use to calibrate my 19" CRT and 19" LCD monitors.

I prepare the majority of my images for web viewing, rather than print. However, when I view images that are mainly grey (e.g. Grey Plover on a pale beach, taken on a bright cloudy day - see attached!) the image looks to have a blue cast on other monitors (e.g. my work Laptop).

So firstly, do others see this image with a blue cast (I would appreciate comment from those with calibrated and non-calibrated monitors)?

Secondly, if this is just due to difference in colour profile through calibration, has anyone any advice on how to minimise the difference?

Cheers

Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 248
Takes time to train eyes to new monitor or new monitor settings ie. what you "see" on another monitor may not be the same as someone who is accustomed to using it.

Possibly your "greyish" image could potentially look more "cold" than a uniform grey square because of our own preconceptions about what colours the subjects should have or how they should be interrelated : shouldn't sand be yellowish, we might think, or at least if it is grey sand shouldn't that bird have much warmer browns.

Where the tones and hues are more subtly distanced from a neutral grey, perhaps there is something to be said for placing a neutral grey border around the picture. Having done that, I find it helps me observe, for example, that towards the top of your picture in the background there is a slight move towards blue.

Very, very slight blue at the top slopping down to the right on my uncalibrated TFT screen, wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned before.

Mick

Same as Mick for me. I most certainly would not have noticed had it not been suggested. Perhaps it may be better to post another image, that you believe to have a colour cast, and ask the folks on here what colour cast they can see rather than telling them beforehand.
I am also using a TFT screen allegedly calibrated using Adobe Gamma.

Thanks everyone - the top of the shot is/should be slightly blue (water), but on my laptop the whole picture has a clearly visible blue cast, including the bird. A couple of other people mentioned it to me which prompted me to check and start this thread!

I have other images, but all are taken in similar lighting conditions and similar locations, all showing the same cast on certain monitors. Oh well - they look fine to me, so I am happy :)

Cheers

Mark.

On my uncalibrated second monitor in dual monitor system there is the very faintest blue tint that I would not normally even mention. Switch the image across to my big LCD (calibrated) it is fine and same on my calibrated laptop. I use GretagMacbeth Eye-one 2.

On my calibrated CRT the image looks like a nice birdy on a grey background. I s'pose I might be pursuaded to agree to a slight faint bluish tint at the top. But the colours look very natural.

My CRT had a blue cast before calibration (since images processed before calibration appeared too warm afterwards). At the last place I worked a colleague had a Dell TFT screen with an obvious pink cast. These days TFT screens are getting better. But colour casts are commonplace no matter what type of screen you use.

The only way to minimise the difference is not to view the image on uncalibrated monitors. If someone does use an uncalibrated monitor, well its hard cheese.

Leif

I have an LCD monitor calibrated with Eye-one and your photo does appear to me to have a slight bluish cast. I played with your photo a bit in Photoshop and a colour adjustment of Cyan-Red +8 and Yellow-Blue -7 gave a better colour cast to my eyes.

I'm not sure why your callibration could be out. It might be worth checking for a more recent version of your software and try recallibrating. You should also let your monitor warm up for a while before callibration.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back