• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Might Midget 25x60mm (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I have been looking for a lightweight scope for putting on a monopod or shoulderpod and have seen one of these for £50.

Does anyone know what the spec is for this scope?
In particular, any idea what the field of view is?

I shall go and check it out tomorrow. For £50 I can't go too wrong I shouldn't think but a decentish fov is important to me.

Thanks,
Martin.

Do you mean the MM2 plus the eyepiece? For that price it is an absolute bargain!!! I've got one of the those and it is my travel scope and it is sharp and bright. With a lightweight tripod it weighs next to nothing. The FOV is narrow and it isn't great in low light. It's good but limited and not as good as the Nikon ED50 but as a travel scope it is more than adequate, IMO.

Do you mean the MM2 plus the eyepiece? For that price it is an absolute bargain!!! I've got one of the those and it is my travel scope and it is sharp and bright. With a lightweight tripod it weighs next to nothing. The FOV is narrow and it isn't great in low light. It's good but limited and not as good as the Nikon ED50 but as a travel scope it is more than adequate, IMO.

Hi,

no it's the original MM not MM2. It is 25x60mm. The eyepiece is not interchangeable like on the MM2.
I'm hoping it should be reasonably bright as it's 60mm objective. As I want to hand hold or usea monopod, I hope that the fov is reasonable to allow for a bit of wobble.

Hi,

no it's the original MM not MM2. It is 25x60mm. The eyepiece is not interchangeable like on the MM2.
I'm hoping it should be reasonably bright as it's 60mm objective. As I want to hand hold or usea monopod, I hope that the fov is reasonable to allow for a bit of wobble.

Oh, can't help then. I know nothing about the original MM.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Just check it is in good condition throughout the scopes optical system. I will try and find out the spec for the scope, field of view etc...

Rob

Hi all,

it wasn't the 25x one at all. It was an 18-50x zoom. My mistake I miss read the label.

I didn't get it, it had a terribly narrow fov.

I would like to try a 25x still. The guy in the shop said that it is a much better bit of kit than the zoom.

Cheers,
Martin.

If you can get hold of the 25x for under £100 then snatch their arms off - I got mine, with stay on case and cheap tripod for £50 from a car boot. For such a small scope it's brilliant. I use mine when I'm wardening the shore at West Kirby, it's good enough for counts on an island c1 mile away, clear enough to show non-birders the difference between Dunlin and Knot, cheap enough to leave if I have to go off to intercept some d*ckhead walking along the tideline and small enough to stick in my pocket.
Chris
p.s. One problem is the waterproof cases are almost as dear as the original scope!

Hi Chris,
I can see the potential of the 25x and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for one. Seems to me it's got all the advantages of the newer MM but with a 60mm objective. And if you can get one cheap then it's a great keep in the car scope.

I have both MM(1) 25x60 and MM2 (20x52, I think).

The MM2 is optically better even with a simple HR eyepiece at 20x (so it's almost the same exit pupil as the MM1).

The designs are rather different. The MM1 (I believe) has a roof prism (not phase compensated so some brightness and resolution lost there) whereas the MM2 is porro. I find the MM1 less bright, slightly lower resolution and warmer in color bias than the MM2 probably from silver mirroring on the roof prism.

The MM1 is waterproof but the MM2 has changeable EPs so there is some flexibility there.

The MM2 is lighter (less glass and less metal) but the usual problem with these scopes is how much the "support equipment" weight.

The MM2 can be angled (which I prefer) but for monopod use both are useable. I prefer angled on a tripod and shoulder mount.

The MM1 ER is not great (it's not a big ocular) but with my tight fitting glasses I can just see the whole field).

Overall the MM2 is better optically and more flexible but depending on your expectations the MM1 might do the job.

Gs52

I have both MM(1) 25x60 and MM2 (20x52, I think).

The MM2 is optically better even with a simple HR eyepiece at 20x (so it's almost the same exit pupil as the MM1).

The designs are rather different. The MM1 (I believe) has a roof prism (not phase compensated so some brightness and resolution lost there) whereas the MM2 is porro. I find the MM1 less bright, slightly lower resolution and warmer in color bias than the MM2 probably from silver mirroring on the roof prism.

The MM1 is waterproof but the MM2 has changeable EPs so there is some flexibility there.

The MM2 is lighter (less glass and less metal) but the usual problem with these scopes is how much the "support equipment" weight.

The MM2 can be angled (which I prefer) but for monopod use both are useable. I prefer angled on a tripod and shoulder mount.

The MM1 ER is not great (it's not a big ocular) but with my tight fitting glasses I can just see the whole field).

Overall the MM2 is better optically and more flexible but depending on your expectations the MM1 might do the job.

Hi Kevin,

I am now thinking about waiting a while to give me some time to save some cash and then get the new Opticron travel scope, the GS52. As I have just bought a used ES80 ED I will be able to swop eyepieces and have a great combination of full size and travel scopes.
I checked out the GS52 in a shop and it is brilliant. I used to use the GS665 and the GS52 is pretty much as good. I think you would only notice a difference on a pretty dark day or at dawn or dusk.
Have also checked out the MM2 with HDF eyepieces and it's impressive but I think the GS52 has better light gathering. But secondhand the MM2 is a much cheaper option than the GS52, which as it has only just come out wont be seen as a used item for some time I should think.

When I get round to buying a GS52, I'll post about how I am getting on with it.

All the best,
Martin.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back