• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron eyepieces (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

I just bought an ES80 GA ED with the HDF zoom. I'm wondering whether to swap the zoom for a couple of HDF fixed e'ps. I used to use Nikon ED82 with a 30x DS e/p but decided to change due to the lack of eyepiece options available. You can't beat Opticron for their huge variety of e/ps, and bins and scopes for that matter.

Anyone got any experience on how the fixeds compare to the HDF zoom?

In the future I hope to buy the GS52 as a lightweight option on a monopod or shoulder pod. So, has anyone got any opinion as to which e/ps are best suited for this?

Thanks,
Martin.

Hiya
I also have a ES80 GA ED and prefer my 23x fixed to the HDF Zoom. In my opinion 28x (if you can get one) is probably the strongest mag I would go to (I did own a 35x, but the field of view was small and the image poor) I have tried the Opticron SDL Zoom lens (belonging to a friend) and it is a real 'cracker'. My Conclusion 23x fixed or SDL Zoom.
Bazz
ps. The ES80 GA ED gives Swarovski a run for their money !

Hi folks,

I just bought an ES80 GA ED with the HDF zoom. I'm wondering whether to swap the zoom for a couple of HDF fixed e'ps. I used to use Nikon ED82 with a 30x DS e/p but decided to change due to the lack of eyepiece options available. You can't beat Opticron for their huge variety of e/ps, and bins and scopes for that matter.

Anyone got any experience on how the fixeds compare to the HDF zoom?

In the future I hope to buy the GS52 as a lightweight option on a monopod or shoulder pod. So, has anyone got any opinion as to which e/ps are best suited for this?

Thanks,
Martin.

Hi Martin,

As with all fixed eyepieces they will give you a wider FOV and a brighter, more crisp image when compared with zooms.

I would recommend the following HDF eyepieces, depending on your magnification preferences;

ES80 ED= 20x/GS52 ED = 13x

ES80 ED= 32x/GS52 ED = 18x

ES80 ED= 44x/GS52 ED = 24x

Any higher magnification and you might as well keep your HDF Zoom.

Rob

Hiya
I also have a ES80 GA ED and prefer my 23x fixed to the HDF Zoom. In my opinion 28x (if you can get one) is probably the strongest mag I would go to (I did own a 35x, but the field of view was small and the image poor) I have tried the Opticron SDL Zoom lens (belonging to a friend) and it is a real 'cracker'. My Conclusion 23x fixed or SDL Zoom.
Bazz
ps. The ES80 GA ED gives Swarovski a run for their money !

Hi Bazz,

I have read that there isn't much difference optically between the HDF and SDL zooms so I had pretty much ruled out changing to that but after what you say I think I should check it for myself. I used to use the GS665 with the SDL and that was a great combination. The GS665 was too small for dawn and dusk and for the higher end of the zoom though, hence the change to an 80mm.

I find the HDF on ES80 ED brilliant up to 30x and fine up to 40x but after that there is a rapid decline.

There's only one way to be sure and that's get myself over to Warehouse Express or Cley Spy and see for myself.

Thanks for your input.

Martin.

Hi Martin,

As with all fixed eyepieces they will give you a wider FOV and a brighter, more crisp image when compared with zooms.

I would recommend the following HDF eyepieces, depending on your magnification preferences;

ES80 ED= 20x/GS52 ED = 13x

ES80 ED= 32x/GS52 ED = 18x

ES80 ED= 44x/GS52 ED = 24x

Any higher magnification and you might as well keep your HDF Zoom.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I think maybe the 40810 and 40858 will turn out to be my choice to go with the ES80 and then when I get round to buying the GS52 I can get the 40809 with it so I have a full set up to 44x. Can't go wrong with that! Except maybe credit cardwise.

I shall try them out asap.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Martin.[/QUOTE]

Hi Martin

I used to use an IS60 with the hdf zoom on a shoulder pod,I would think a fixed eyepiece would be best as I found myself waving it about a bit to follow birds so the extra fov would have come in handy.

PH

Thanks,
Martin.

Hi Martin

I used to use an IS60 with the hdf zoom on a shoulder pod,I would think a fixed eyepiece would be best as I found myself waving it about a bit to follow birds so the extra fov would have come in handy.

PH[/QUOTE]

Hi PH,

I reckon you're right not too high a mag or it will make me feel seasick. The 18x or 24x tops.

Cheers,
Martin.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back