• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron 50mm Class Scope At Birdfair (1 Viewer)

Hi Martin - we did have a limited stock come in for Birdfair but that's now all been sold. Next delivery due later in September :-(

If it is as good as it sounds Opticron should be onto a real winner with this little scope. All it needs now is a light, neat grip for handholding. I can't wait to try one.

Ron

Having field tested this scope for 5 months before it was launched at Birdfair I can say that it can be handheld but there is a specific technique to be used. Firstly I am right handed and use my right eye for scopes. I jam my thumb under the the rear of the tripod foot whilst gripping the front of it with forefinger. The weight of the scope is then balanced in the palm of my right hand and thus enabling me to focus and or zoom with my right hand. This sounds more complicated than it is but it is easily demonstrated and those that I showed at Birdfair agreed that it can be handheld, particularly at low mag

The Scope Looks really good,..I live now in the USA,but I will be moving to Spain,where I am originally from,In October...I am looking forward to try one of these..

Where can I find Opticron in Spain?..Would I be able to Find this scope in any retail location?....I will be moving to the Delta del Ebro area,so Barcelona is probably the place to look for one ...

I have owned the Nikon ED50,straight version,but I dont think hand holding ,even a small scope,Is the proper use for a high power instrument..(I consider high power anything above 10X)..
To take advantage of the detail that a Scope View can offer,a minimum of stability is required,but even a super lightweight tripod can provide that, for a small angled scope,...If you dont want to carry even a small tripod,then Image Stabilized binoculars maybe more the way to go..

Hi Martin - we did have a limited stock come in for Birdfair but that's now all been sold. Next delivery due later in September :-(

Hi Pete,

I tried one out at Cley Spy yesterday. Not sure what mag the eyepiece was. It was an HDF, either the 24x or 28x.

I think this 52 mm is just as good as the GS665 ED with SDL zoom that I used to own . It was a reasonably bright afternoon yesterday so the view through it was great. I suppose you would only see any difference between the two on a gloomy day or at dawn or dusk.

I think Opticron have a winner here. I would like to try it out next to Nikons ED50 (which I have never used by the way). I know that it is highly rated by many but I think the Opticron will give it a good run for its money though. It is certainly cheaper and there must be a lot of birders who already have eyepieces they can use on the 52mm.

It is now at the top of my to buy list for my planned trip to Alaska.

Cheers,
Martin.

2.5m close focus

I just bought the first of these from the London Wetland Centre about an hour after it arrived. Not the sort of thing I normally do, but, needing a smaller scope for cycling, I'd already decided on an MM2, the minimal price difference made this one the clear winner. Though in the bright conditions when I was comparing the scopes there was very little difference, the 2.5m close focus definitely swings it for me. If you've ever been looking at a bird that comes just a shade too close to focus you'll know what I mean.
Oh and although it does look very rear heavy, the centre of gravity is actually just a very short way behind the tripod mount and doesn't seem to be a problem at all, even with my heavy and clumsy digiscoping adaptor (which I rarely use) on board.
I've been away at Reading Festival (Birdfair was much better, but I did have a Red Kite and a Whitethroat while I was at Reading) since I got it, so not used it properly yet. I'll give it a good go tomorrow.
:flyaway:

Pete...thanks for the link to Orix..I would definitely visit their store..I didnt see the 52mm in stock yet,but maybe in the next few weeks they will get some in..I will not move to Spain until mid or late October,so there is a bit of time ,after all is a very new model..
Just come visit anytime,...I will be located in the Delta del Ebro Area,but I still have some good friends in Barcelona...I love that city too..and some good birding in the Llobregat Delta too!

Take care

These guys should be able to help you out when you get back to Spain:

https://www.weboryx.com

Although I'm tempted to make a trip to Barcelona myself to show you - I love that city :)

Cheers, Pete
Opticron Sales and Marketing

Opticron GS52 ED

I'm seriously looking into buying the above and was wondering which zoom to go for SLD or HDF. As I will not get chance to test either of these before the purchase, has anybody any advice? Also would either or both be totally waterproof when fitted to the GS52 ED? I realise not many will have tried these combinations yet but any general comments on the suitability of the zooms would be welcome.

Mick

This really appeals to me, being the owner of an ES80 who enjoys undertaking cheapweekend breaks abroad with Easyjet etc.

It sounds as if it would be possible to just take the scope, no tripod (are there any compatible mini tripods?).

My thinking is, when I go away for a weekend, I can fit everything in a "carry on to the plane" bag, saving time and avoding extra hold baggage charges.

This really appeals to me, being the owner of an ES80 who enjoys undertaking cheapweekend breaks abroad with Easyjet etc.

It sounds as if it would be possible to just take the scope, no tripod (are there any compatible mini tripods?).

My thinking is, when I go away for a weekend, I can fit everything in a "carry on to the plane" bag, saving time and avoding extra hold baggage charges.

Hi Wolfbirder,

I reckon this scope would be good on a shoulder pod for steady view while travelling light.
I've never used one ( a shoulder pod that is) but I've seen someone using an 82mm Kowa scope on one so a 52mm should be no trouble.

Best wishes,
Martin.

This scope is very easily hand held, there is a technique to it but the way the scope is balanced lends it to being very steady when held. Evereyone that I have demonstrated this to agrees

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the zoom eyepiece with this scope compared to a fixed eyepiece? I thought that the 40858G giving a mag of 24x might be a good option, since I'm generally wary of zoom eyepieces. How does the field of view / brightness / sharpness of the zoom compare to that of the fixed at this magnification?

I wonder the same. Also I why the "WW" eyepieces cost almost the twice? Looking at some around 24-28 magnification.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the zoom eyepiece with this scope compared to a fixed eyepiece? I thought that the 40858G giving a mag of 24x might be a good option, since I'm generally wary of zoom eyepieces. How does the field of view / brightness / sharpness of the zoom compare to that of the fixed at this magnification?

Its been mentioned that this scope has a large prism. How does it compare in size to the Nikon 50ed's prism? Also does anyone know the focal length of this new Opticron?

The Opticron GS 52 GA ED utilises the same full-size24mm prism as its bigger siblings the GS 665 GA ED and the GS 815 GA ED whereas the Nikon ED50 utilises a smaller binocular prism. As a result the GS 52 GA ED delivers a brighter and wider field of view compared to other similar sized scopes.

Personally I would not use the 40858 but having used this scope since March I prefer the 40810 (13x), followed by the 40809 (18) then either the SDL or HDF zoom eyepieces. The low powered eyepieces and the remarkably short close focus of 2.5 metres make this scope ideal for those digiscopers than utilise a degree of fieldcraft and like to get close to their subject or have a feeding station.

Watch out for a review of this scope by Paul Hackett who has full frame, pin sharp images of the recent Pectoral Sandpiper at Draycote Water. He was using the Samsung NV100 HD coupled with the GS 52 GA ED & 40810 (13) eyepiece.

Why don´t you like the 24 and 28 WA/WW EPs? They similar ones seem popular on the nikon ed50 so they should work here too? And btw, what is the difference between the two zooms? SDL/HDF.

The Opticron GS 52 GA ED utilises the same full-size24mm prism as its bigger siblings the GS 665 GA ED and the GS 815 GA ED whereas the Nikon ED50 utilises a smaller binocular prism. As a result the GS 52 GA ED delivers a brighter and wider field of view compared to other similar sized scopes.

Personally I would not use the 40858 but having used this scope since March I prefer the 40810 (13x), followed by the 40809 (18) then either the SDL or HDF zoom eyepieces. The low powered eyepieces and the remarkably short close focus of 2.5 metres make this scope ideal for those digiscopers than utilise a degree of fieldcraft and like to get close to their subject or have a feeding station.

Watch out for a review of this scope by Paul Hackett who has full frame, pin sharp images of the recent Pectoral Sandpiper at Draycote Water. He was using the Samsung NV100 HD coupled with the GS 52 GA ED & 40810 (13) eyepiece.

Chris,

I gather that you are a photographer. Is your choice of eyepiece dictated by its use for digiscoping rather than just viewing the birds as I would be doing? I wouldn't think that 13x would be first choice if just id-ing birds was the priority. Does the brightness/sharpness decline at 24x?
Where will the Paul Hackett review be posted? On this site?

To clarify my needs. My current main scope is a Kowa TSN3 with a 30ww lens and a Slik D2 tripod. This is fine, but somewhat bulky. I've also a smaller scope an old straight Opticron HR60 with a Kowa 27 eyepiece (the very old one with no eye relief) and it is the latter that I want to replace as it is this that gets thrown in a rucksack whan I go abroad or dog walking. I want a small angled scope that will go on a lightweight travel tripod (not much point getting a small scope and humping round a heavy tripod). I suspect the travel tripod won't be stable enough to take magnifications above 30x in most situations.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,
At the moment I don't know of anywhere local these scopes are stocked, though that may change when they become more well known. Hence I'm looking for some guidance from those with experience of them. Your input is much appreciated.
btw, I'll be away for about 10 days, so if I don't acknowledge your comments, that will be why.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back