• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30W Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Simon S

Being a keen collector of Porro binoculars I am thinking of buying a pair of Swarovski Habicht 8x30W Binoculars for my birthday.
What is the performance of this model compared with other models in the range?
Has anyone got a pair?

Simon,

If this is the binocular you want I would recommend buying a new pair or trying to find a recent used pair. Old ones have a very yellow image tint, especially the ones with "Transmax" coating rather than "Swarotop". I used a rubber armored 8x30W for several years (also a 10x40W and a 8x30 "standard field" which I still have). The 8x30W and 10x40W use the same eyepiece and prism, just different objectives, so performance is essentially the same except for the expected differences associated with magnification. Eye relief is only 12mm and the eyecups are small and stiff, very uncomfortable for me. I found the eyecups on the rubber armored versions much more comfortable because the rim curls out instead of in. It's curious to me that the rubber armored versions were the first to be discontinued, I much preferred them.

BTW Swarovski used to make some very nice accessories for these binoculars. There were stretch on rubber bumpers to protect the metal objective trim rings of the leatherette models, superb leather cases of a quality we no longer see and even a leather rainguard. There was also a genuine leather covered "Ladies" version of the 8x30W (in red or brown).

Henry

Last edited:
Being a keen collector of Porro binoculars I am thinking of buying a pair of Swarovski Habicht 8x30W Binoculars for my birthday.
Has anyone got a pair?

I have and love the most recent leatherette model, which I bought new with the very comforting U.S. Swaro warranty. Remarkably bright and sharp and, in many ways, its ergonomics make it easier to use in the field than its roof competitors. As noted by many, however, eye relief is very shallow and the rubber eyecups are extremely stiff, so use with eyeglasses is daunting, to say the least. To my eyes, the Habicht is noticeably crisper than the Nikon 8 x 32 SE without the Nikon's disturbing blackouts (which is why I sold the Nikon). Focus is also quite stiff, probably as a result of the rubber seals needed to assure true waterproofing. Bottom line: if you can use without glasses and can find a recent model, don't hesitate. You will not be disappointed.

Has anyone got a pair?

Hello!

I do not yet have a pair, but I am definitely going to get one later this summer.
A few weeks ago I had an opportunity to test the 10x40 version against a 10x32 EL and an 8x32 Ultravid.
If we, what can safely be done, I suppose, assume that the 8x30 is very similar to the 10x in terms of performance, the Habichts are truly outstanding instruments.
The eyecups of the current version are not stiff or hard at all but very, very comfortable indeed. Significantly better than any of the screw-out eyecups on any of the roof prism models I have handed. The rubber is stiff enough to give good support, yet soft enough to be very pleasing to the eye sockets. Long time watching is a pleasure, I guess.

Optically the image of the 10x40 Habicht was virtually indistinguishable from the Ultravid. The field of view of the 10x EL was slightly wider but not in any way sharper, more contrasty or superior in other respects (not during daytime testing late in the morning anyway9.
In terms of handling, the Habicht was outperforming all others, of course. Signore Porro knew what ergonomics meant long before the first primitive roof prism binoculars had been built!
The only competitor with respect to handling was the Swarovski EL at 3 times the price and a reduced spaciality of the image (the "roof prism disease").
The focussing mechanism on the Habicht was excellent. Somewhat stiffer than on the EL, yes, but not worse than on the Ultravid. The eyepiece bridge is moved, and due to the sealing (watertightness) there is some resistance; but it is very, very precise (!), without any play, notchiness or any other awkward aspect to it.
The body of the Habichts is covered with a rather thick layer of very grippy genuine (?) leather that feels like a pair of hand-crafted gloves for "going to the races".

The only complaints one could possibly have it that Swarovski have not yet introduced their EasyClean technology to these models,
and that they have given up supplying the classical hard cases (fortunately these can be had from "internet sources" for a bargain price).

Overall I can#t see why I should spend 2-3 times the money on an Ultraexpensivid or any other Roof Prism instrument with their cyclopically close-set barrels as long as there are Habichts "in the air".

Two of these, maybe, instead of one "fiddler on the roof" with all the fancy coatings to make them work?

A Porrist* by heart,
Tom

*who needs more than the Real Thing?

Compared to Fujinon 8x30 FMTR-SX?

Did anyone compare the current Habicht 8x30 binoculars to the Fujinon 8x30 FMTR-SX? I have the latter and most of the times could not be happier with them. But sometimes the individual focus becomes troublesome. For these occasions I got interested in the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 (I need waterproof binoculars, which rules out the Nikon SE and EII Porros). I only wonder if the Habicht can compete with the outstanding optical and mechanical quality of the 8x30 FMTR-SX. Any experience?
Best, Joachim

The 8x30W and 10x40W use the same eyepiece and prism, just different objectives,

Henry, how does that work? Doesn't one have an 8x eyepiece and the other a 10x eyepiece. Did you mean that they were same because they were both designated "W" ?

The eyepieces are identical. Magnification is different because the 40mm objective lens has a longer focal length than the 30mm. Combining the same eyepiece and prism with different FL objectives is often done, as in the Nikon 8x32/10x42/12x50 SE series.

Henry

Oh, that makes perfect sense. I'm surprised that I didn't remember that but I haven't had my orange juice yet either. |;|

Thanks Henry.

Hello!

Overall I can#t see why I should spend 2-3 times the money on an Ultraexpensivid or any other Roof Prism instrument with their cyclopically close-set barrels as long as there are Habichts "in the air".

Two of these, maybe, instead of one "fiddler on the roof" with all the fancy coatings to make them work?

A Porrist* by heart,
Tom

*who needs more than the Real Thing?

I would gladly follow you but eye relief with the Habichts is just not enough for people with glasses. If they came with 15 mmm minimum I would rush to the store and buy one!

I recently bought a new pair 8x30 habicht and for me they are the best binoculars i have ever owned.I dont wear glasses so eye relief is ok.I have owned High grade nikons and various Leicas which were excellent of course but these little things have a magic and a wow factor that i get every time i use them.I seemed to get dioptre variations between near and far with the roof prism designs and i dont get it with these so i think i have possibly found my perfect binocular...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back