• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (2 Viewers)

Hi Mike - no pics but have recorded song - when I get back from this present trip I'll put it up.

At the moment sitting in Hongyuan (Ruoergai Grasslands) - a bumper day started at Balang - Chinese Monal, White-eared Pheasant, Blood Pheasant Golden Pheasant, Chestnut-throated Partridge, Firethroat, Golden Bush Robin, Grey-sided Bush Warbler - then a drive to Hongyuan where evening birds included Black-necked Crane and White-browed Tit.
Yesterday we got Wood Snipe and have had gripping views of Male Temminck's Tragopan - Loncanggou was still open 3 days ago - with both male Lady A and Grey-hooded Parrotbill on the 'menu.'

Some great birding out here at the moment
Sid

Ba and a singing Zappy's Flycatcher (the blue and Whites reported from Tangjiahe in my last post were also Zappey's).

Sid, we saw Zappey's at Tangjiahe last spring - on the loop walk not far from the hotel, also singing Ultramarines in the tree tops. Pete Morris may have a pic of the Zappey's but I can't remember. We had seen them previously at Xianglomen, west of Beijing (in 2010 I think).

cheers, alan

Am considering making Longcanggou a stop on my Sichuan itinerary this year but read in Pane 848 that the road construction could be soon beginning. Anyone have concrete info on when construction is going to start? When construction starts, will birders still be able to use the area?

Hi Alan - birding with one of your old mates at the moment; Andrew Raine. He sends his regards. Today we were in JZ and both he and his wife got decent views of Rufous-headed Robin. We'll be traveling to Pingwu tomorrow and then probably on to Tangjiahe - will be interesting to see if we can still find the Zappey's

I've little idea over when the road building starts at Longcanggou - but I suppose it will be sooner rather than latter. The pegs that mark the width and route of the road show it will be considerably wider than the present track. I should think that the kind of major work needed for that scale of construction will mean a closed park.

Hi Alan - birding with one of your old mates at the moment; Andrew Raine. He sends his regards. Today we were in JZ and both he and his wife got decent views of Rufous-headed Robin. We'll be traveling to Pingwu tomorrow and then probably on to Tangjiahe - will be interesting to see if we can still find the Zappey's

Sid,

Say hi to Andy and his wife! Good news on the Robin and good luck at Tangjiahe - you always seem to have luck with that Fish Owl!

cheers, alan

I've little idea over when the road building starts at Longcanggou - but I suppose it will be sooner rather than latter. The pegs that mark the width and route of the road show it will be considerably wider than the present track. I should think that the kind of major work needed for that scale of construction will mean a closed park.

And considerable damage to the habitat.

Ah well. It's China.

And considerable damage to the habitat.

Ah well. It's China.

I think it's best to say 'ah well. It's the modern world'! Not many other countries are different unfortunately - most of the countries I have visited are much worse off in terms of current habitat destruction.

The area of habitat there is massive, so a few metres along the roadside will regenerate within a couple of years, especially in suptropical areas with all that dampness.

Though I was in Chengdu two days back, it's the first year I haven't birded there for 11 years - looking forward to returning next year though.

James

I think it's best to say 'ah well. It's the modern world'! Not many other countries are different unfortunately - most of the countries I have visited are much worse off in terms of current habitat destruction.

The area of habitat there is massive, so a few metres along the roadside will regenerate within a couple of years, especially in suptropical areas with all that dampness.

James

I suppose that's so. It just seems the pace of change is so great in China compared to everywhere else I travel in Asia. And there's that Chinese concept of nature being something to be conquered, not cooperated with.

But point taken.

. . . And there's that Chinese concept of nature being something to be conquered, not cooperated with. . . .

The Chinese quasi-adversarial relationship with nature grates on me too, Jeff.

I visited Daocheng, Sichuan in 2011 and was amazed. The route between Litang and Daocheng is bristling with good bird habitat. I'm however finding little info on the area--certainly not as much as is available about Balang, Mengbi, Jiuzhaigou, etc. etc. Is the dearth of info owing to the lack of good sites, or is the area simply being overlooked?

The Chinese quasi-adversarial relationship with nature grates on me too, Jeff.

I visited Daocheng, Sichuan in 2011 and was amazed. The route between Litang and Daocheng is bristling with good bird habitat. I'm however finding little info on the area--certainly not as much as is available about Balang, Mengbi, Jiuzhaigou, etc. etc. Is the dearth of info owing to the lack of good sites, or is the area simply being overlooked?

Flipping things slightly - I would say there is so little information about Daocheng simply because Sichuan has so much good habitat left that it's too big a job to give detailed info on every site...
As I sure Sid would confirm, there is so much habitat in Sichuan (particularly in the west and north) that is full of birds but it's simply overlooked for a variety of reasons (travel times, access or that birders very rarely now try out new sites and just go to the same old places time after time).

James

Hmm... America never suffered from that, did we? :eek!:

When Americans started respecting nature for its own sake--for example, when Yellowstone in 1872 became the first national park in the world, or when Teddy Roosevelt looked at the Grand Canyon and said, "Let this great wonder of nature remain as it now is. . . . You cannot improve on it"--Americans had no precedents to learn from. The USA and other Western countries were inventing the conservation movement. Countries today do have precedents to learn from, and many of them are indeed learning--just go to Taiwan, for example, and note the greater (as compared to mainland Chinese) awareness and appreciation of nature among the people there. Just as the Chinese copy the technological achievements of Westerners, so could they also mimic Westerners' reverence for nature. They are however going full-throttle on the former and disregarding the latter, which is why I say their attitude grates on me.

Flipping things slightly - I would say there is so little information about Daocheng simply because Sichuan has so much good habitat left that it's too big a job to give detailed info on every site...
As I sure Sid would confirm, there is so much habitat in Sichuan (particularly in the west and north) that is full of birds but it's simply overlooked for a variety of reasons (travel times, access or that birders very rarely now try out new sites and just go to the same old places time after time).

Thanks, James. Your words are in line with what my people are thinking: a combination of the huge size of Sichuan, the high amount of habitats to choose from, and force of habit leading to many potential sites remaining unexplored. It's a risk to explore new areas, but as I'm sure Sid, Roland, and you can attest, there are few thrills in birding greater than finding new habitats.

We're thinking that Mùlǐ (木里), the large county on the border with Yunnan in SW Sichuan, may be highly birdable. There's scant info out there on birding in the area, but we think that the reason for this is its remoteness and not its lack of habitat. If anyone can share info with me, I'll be grateful. I'm particularly interested in the condition of the S216, the road linking Dàochéng to Mùlǐ.

Just home late yesterday from the last trip - now 5, hopefully relaxing, days at home and back out on the road. We finished up in Xian. As ever the Crested Ibis is a cinch - no need for Yangxian, you can even get it from the G5 motorway.
As for the other 'holy-grail' on this route There are sites in the Sichuan/Shaanxi border area that combine easy access, a simple "buy a ticket at the gate" type entrance and plenty of bamboo that should provide suitable habitat. We only had a couple of hours search but were finding quality birds like Sooty Tit, Spectacled Parrotbill and Emei Leaf Warbler - more concentrated searches will find more.

Interesting discussion on the state play of Sichuan birding sites. I would love it that hands were kept well away from sites like Longcanggou, Emei, Wawu and Labahe - but, like James, accept that, in a so-called modern China, development is an expected eventuality. What riles me is that conservation areas have been demoted in status to tourist development zones - that allows the building of horrors like ski-slopes - which, when areas of prime hillside bamboo are cleared, are far more damaging than most road building. But again like James has said - such lot of habitat in these areas that the the major damage is to our ability to easily access birding spots - rather than a huge destruction of prime habitat. There's still a lot of great birding between the roads of Sichuan - getting to it is often the real challenge.

I'm actually far more concerned at what's happening to the grassland habitats - at sites like Litang and Daocheng. Here modern China - in the form of economic development and the the new grassland gold of the caterpillar fungus - has generated a situation where herders now have the money to amass huge herds of domestic animals. Everybody can see how the overgrazing is not sustainable on the wild pasture - fencing, fertilizer and reseeding are already part of the scene on sites that were untouched only 3 or 4 years back.
For a few pics from the Litang area go back to around post 305.

The big worry for Sichuan basin birding sites are the new political incentives that allow farmers to rent off their land to commercial concerns that want to plant large areas of plantation, medicine plants or orchard. The outcome of this process is that marginal farming areas that, for many years, have been given up to secondary growth - much of it bird rich - are now in danger of being cleared, in name of reforestation, and replanted with a highly managed, bird unattractive, non-native monocrop.

The last thing I'll write about is Muli - anybody visiting has to realize that they're going into an area that could be the last hold out of an almost extinct bird. If you do manage to find out where the site is - look briefly, disturb as little as possible. Your most important pictures would be the state of the habitat, which was under pressure from domestics - shots that hopefully could be used to influence those who are supposed to protect this area

best of luck
Sid

Last edited:
... If you do manage to find out where the site is - look briefly, disturb as little as possible. ...

Wherever my team goes, Sid, we'll tread no less carefully than you do.

As for the downgrading of nature reserves to tourist development zones: Chinese today seem incapable of looking at a place such as Wawu and saying, "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve it."

We are to stand in awe not of nature, but of man's works. I reject that philosophy.

Last edited:
Actually, my interest in Muli is in its apparent status as an under-birded area, and not because it may be the last redoubt of Garrulax bieti. In this, I'm paralleling Brian Ivon Jones's recent "discovery" of the Dulong River in Yunnan and the Mohe area in Heilongjiang. Brian's main goal isn't to seek any bird in particular in these virtually unbirded areas, but simply to survey them--to find out what's there. That's the attraction of Muli to me. It's already clear what one is likely to find on the Old Erlang Road, at Longcanggou, and at Balangshan. But at Muli, surprises may await.

Indeed, knowledge of Muli is so fuzzy that I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on whether the S216 connects Muli and Daocheng. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Craig,

Worth getting in touch with Rob Hutchinson as he birded the Muli area a few years ago, specifically to see Biet's (which is still found in northern Yunnan though largely in cages). Any old-growth forests would be worth checking for such specialities as Silver Oriole as that is not far from the known breeding locality in southern Sichuan.

I assume Simon Dowell and Roger Wilkinson surveyed parts around Muli a few years back in search of localities where Sichuan Partridge was still clinging on.

Though I always find the best resource for exploring new areas is Google Earth - indispensable - a careful search on there will minimize time wasted on the ground in search of habitat.

Re Habitat loss - as bad as things might seem, comparing them to neighbouring countries will soon make you feel a whole lot more positive. I was in Vietnam just last month, visiting a site where I found good numbers of the endemic Annam Partridge in 2012. A good 10km of roadside forest, as far as the eye could see had been clear-felled for rubber in under two years with no signs of stopping and the forest absolutely littered with hunting trails, hunters with guns, dogs and snares (not just 1-2 but literally 100s).

James

... Worth getting in touch with Rob Hutchinson ... I assume Simon Dowell and Roger Wilkinson surveyed parts around Muli ...

Though I always find the best resource for exploring new areas is Google Earth - indispensable - a careful search on there will minimize time wasted on the ground in search of habitat.

Re Habitat loss - as bad as things might seem, comparing them to neighbouring countries will soon make you feel a whole lot more positive. ...

Thanks for this, James. I haven't met Hutchinson, Dowell, and Wilkinson. You're welcome to give them my e-mail address and phone number, which I'll send you shortly in a private message. I've been getting good info from other birders, but I still don't know whether the S216 has been completed.

Simple, cheap alternatives are often the best, as you have shown with your use of Google Earth to find new habitats.

The bad news out of Vietnam doesn't make me feel more positive about China, but it does make me feel less negative.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back