• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher, finally! (1 Viewer)

Enji

I've been spending pretty much all this winter trying to see a Kingfisher, a species I've never seen before in Sweden. One has been seen by the river closeby all winter, but never by me. It's been eluding me, never turning up although I've been searching and searching. Today I went to a new place along the river, where it had been seen yesterday and apparently is a regular (one of few places in the river with open water). Got there, and a couple of other birders were there, looking really cold. I asked them about the Kingfisher, but got the disheartening answer that no one had seen it all day. One guy there had been waiting for more than two hours. Things certainly didn't look very bright. Well, amused myself by studying a Wren skulking in the bushes, and scowling at a Mink that ran alongside the river on the other side.

And then... only ten minutes after I had arrived, I suddenly spotted something blue zipping over the water! Instinctively yelled "there it is!" and saw how it landed in a tree on the opposite side. It showed so well, a real little gem, and I was so happy! Finally luck was on my side... I'd started thinking that I would never get to see it.

The Kingfisher really made my day, and that is saying something, since I also got to see a flock of 32 Snow Buntings showing really well, a lifer for me. Wonderful little birds, running along on the ground and flying up all at once, showing off their black-and-white wings...

I bask for a moment in your enthusiasm. Without a hint of sarcasm.

It's so good to see someone getting such a buzz out of spotting a great bird. I love Kingfishers and seeing them is special even in an area where they're relatively common.

I was the same about Bitterns. I nearly danced for joy when I finally spotted one and it was such a great view as well! I totally relate to how you feel.

The first time I saw Kingfishers was from a hide and fairly close up.They were hovering and also fishing from a perch.I have to admit that I was awake half the night thinking about them and from that day I have been birding and taking bird/wildlife photo`s and have been thouroughly enjoying myself ever since.

Graham

Well done Enji - glad to hear you've got your sighting. Kingfishers are pretty special, I've seen them a few times but it's still a really magical moment when you spot one.

I've only seen Kingfishers 2 times, and both were not great sightings as they were fairly far away. Your persistence paid off, congratulations!
:t::t:

I guess I must be very lucky. As an angler for more than 50 years, I've spent many thousands of hours by the waterside and have seen many Kingfishers, mostly just as a blue flash flying past, but also sitting on nearby perches, and even once, sitting on my fishing rod. I recall having to juvenile Sand Martins sitting on my fishing rod as I walked along the river Moy in Ireland, and they didn't seem to mind that I was walking along the river, they just hitched a ride. I've seen an Osprey at Bewl Water in Kent. However, despite the thousands of hours on the bank, it wasn't until January 2009 that I saw my first Bittern. It does give you a great rush, and I'm glad you succeeded in fulfilling your wish.

That sounds awesome, Colin. Aren't they something when they fly by, that almost impossible shade of blue zipping across the water? I once tried to paint a Kingfisher, but that blue-green colour on their back is absolutely impossible to paint! Those colours, so bright, look so out of place in the Swedish winter, where everything else is mostly monochrome.

I've never seen a Bittern, only heard them a couple of times. Maybe I'll get to see one this year, they're not as rare here as in Britain. :) (I believe Kingfishers are actually rarer... more rare... umm, what's the correct way to say that?)

Anyway, I'm just so happy I finally got to see a bird I've been trying to see for a long time. Now I just need to see a Great Grey Owl and a Gyrfalcon, and I can die happily. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back