• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Geese (1 Viewer)

pburgers

Spring may finally be making its appearance in South Dakota. Robins are back, Cardinals have been singing like mad, and today Snow Geese ("snows 'n blues" as they are known locally) have been pouring overhead by the tens of thousands. I got out my binocs and tried but could not see the end of the flocks in either direction, north or south. Last year at the height of the migration the SD Dept of Game, Fish, and Parks estimated one million geese between Sioux Falls (where I live) and Mitchell, SD, which is 70 miles west.
The numbers of raptors that accompany this migration are also staggering, sometime it seems like a hawk on every fence post! OK, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but there are lots nonetheless. Tomorrow I am going to try to get out and find some geese on the ground feeding in the stubble fields. To see the ground completely blanketed by geese and hear the thunder they make when they lift off is something that every birder (no make that every person, period) should experience at least once. Wow, I can hardly wait!
Good birds to Ya!
Paul
SD

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back