• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid Level 8x32 Roof or Entry Level 8x42 Roof as Primary Birding Bino? (1 Viewer)

Hello Poverty Wagon,

How goes the quest? I hope you are not stuck in "analysis paralysis"!

My thoughts to your first question is you are not giving up anything when using an 8X32 for general birding. There are some technical merits to the 42, but in actual field use in our bright southwest I doubt if you would notice the difference using a decent quality 8X32. Actually, the 8X32 models you are considering have a wider field of view than your 8X42 Endeavor.

Tantien made reference to the Vortex Viper 8X32 HD. You may want to add that to your list. I have always got a good impression whenever I looked through one. I was at Bass Pro in Mesa, AZ the other day looking for a Monarch 7 8X30 because of the light weight of only 15 oz. They did not have it, but they did have it's 10X30 twin. I decided I will pass on the Monarch 7 30mm until I know Nikon has resolved the glare issue, but I did compare it with the Viper 8X32 HD. The Viper is almost 5 oz heavier so it was not on my list, but I sure liked everything about it, both physically and optically. The normal price is $560 but Cameraland is showing a demo for $470. (I also liked everything about the Nikon except for the way it handled certain lighting conditions. I sure hope Nikon can fix that)

The AZ Game and Fish held an expo a couple of weeks ago where I took a brief look through a 42mm Mojave on display at the Leupold trailer. I did not spend any time with it because the focus was so rough. I followed up at the Glendale, AZ Cabela's a few days later and looked at an 8X32 Mojave. It also had a very rough focus mechanism where I had to pinch the focus wheel with two fingers in order to lock in a precise focus. I do not know if that is the nature of the breed or I just got a couple of bad samples.

I suspect the festival you attended last weekend was at the Gilbert Water Ranch Preserve. I also attended and saw the loaners you mentioned. I go there every couple of months or so and will sometimes use a 10X, but generally I use either a Nikon EDG 8X32 (FOV 409 ft) or a Nikon EII 8X30 (FOV 462 ft). The 8X is enough to get a good view of the birds on the far sides of the ponds yet the field of view does a good job on close birds and taking in the flocks of ducks swimming around. I also have an Endeavor 8X42 and I think the optics are great, but the FOV of 368 ft is the minimum I would want in an 8X.

Last edited:
Bruce,

I am still here and have been keeping tabs on this thread. I was trying to limit my responses to when I had something pertinant to say, so I wouldn't look like I was trying to inflate my post count artificially.

I ordered the Mojave 8x32 and the Monarch 8x30 from REI. Their retail prices are high, but the 20% coupon brings it down to the going street price for both. I end up paying tax on which ever one I keep, but in exchange I get REI's generous 1 year return policy.

I just got the Leupold last night and haven't had a chance to really go through it. But I immediately noticed two rough spots in the focus. Enough so that it distracts from the user experience. I'll try to exercise it out, but so far it doesn't seem to be helping. But the image is very nice. Maybe even just a hair sharper than the Endevor 8x42. I'll report back after I've put it through it's paces.

The Nikon is supposed to arrive today. Will report more on that one as well, probably in the Nikon thread.

I was indeed at the Gilbert Riparian Preserve for the Feathered Friends Festival. We live just a few miles away so it's convenient. We've been doing the once monthly bird walks and have learned a lot. It's amazing how many different species live or pass through the preserve, essentially in the middle of suburbia.

Funny that you mention the 10x30 M7 at Bass Pro Shops. I was there just a few days before you and looked through that exact same set of binoculars. They seemed to work for me ergonomically, so I figured I would order a pair and give them a chance. I have high hopes for them but I will also be paying close attention to veiling glare/lack of contrast issues noted by others.

Lastly, I'm afraid to test drive a Conquest. I know that I should, if only to see for myself the performance vs dollar equation. But I'm afraid I'll like them too much and pine for them, making me pull funds away from other hobbies. I suppose there are far worse problems to have.

Thanks again for everyone's input and I'll report my thoughts on the two binocs I ordered.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back