• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Med Gull (1 Viewer)

Henry H

We went out on Wednesday for the afternoon, first to Formby to see the red-squirrels. But there was quite a selection of birds too, with Goldcrest (a first for my good lady), Chaffinches galore, Coal Tits, Great Tits, Long-Tailed Tits and plenty of Corvids. The squirrels were a first for us both.

Then we stopped at Marshside (RSPB Southport) and were amazed by the sheer number of birds there.

We saw Shelduck and Oystercatcher mating (not with each other!) and there were hundreds of Shoveler, Lapwing, Wigeon (what a lovely duck to look at and to listen to) and Black-Headed Gulls. We saw a Little Grebe, a few Teal, some Black-Tailed Godwits, some Pintails, a few Curlews, Canada Geese and even a couple of hares on the other side of the water. Jane spotted an Avocet which was lovely to look see. Then I saw my first ever Med Gull. (there were 2). Only last week I was asking for advice on how to identify them.

We got there late afternoon and heard Skylarks on the beach but didn't see one. I'm sure there were many species that I missed as the light was going and there were just so many birds. Probably a dull day by most birders standards but it's always nice to see a first!

Henry H

Hi Henry. Not at all a dull day when you see one of the finest gulls in existence! Was either of them in adult summer plumage? In my view there are few birds as smart as an adult summer Med.

Jason

Yes actually, they were in summer togs. And funnily enough the latest Bird Watching magazine landed on my doormat the very next morning, with a lovely cover picture of a med gull. (And tips on spotting 1st/2nd winter ones too).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back