• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenyan Weavers 1 (1 Viewer)

Tully

Need a little help to ID / confirm some weaver species found in the garden of the Fairview Hotel in Nairobi in early July.
For 1 and 2 suggest Baglafecht Weaver race reichenowi male
For 3&4 same species female
Thanks

Attachments

• bagreich2550.jpg
    bagreich2550.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 97
  • CRW_2604.jpg
    CRW_2604.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 94
  • CRW_2608.jpg
    CRW_2608.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 87
  • CRW_2609.jpg
    CRW_2609.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 84
Absolutely correct Tully. First two male, and second two female, Baglafecht Weavers. I photographed them at the same hotel (indeed, by the look of it on the same feeder) last month! Did you get anything else there? My highlights were White-headed Barbet, Silvery-cheeked Hornbill and Northern Pied Babbler!

James

JWN Andrewes said:
Absolutely correct Tully. First two male, and second two female, Baglafecht Weavers. I photographed them at the same hotel (indeed, by the look of it on the same feeder) last month! Did you get anything else there? My highlights were White-headed Barbet, Silvery-cheeked Hornbill and Northern Pied Babbler!

James
Hi James,
Only had a short time but had a lovely family of Speckled Mouse Birds, Variable Sunbird, White-browed Robinchat, Olive Thrush, Black Kite, Common Bulbul and the birds below. I think they are
1 Streaky Seedeater
2,3,4 Parrot-billed Sparrow
plus one more I still have to have a go at
Cheers

Attachments

• CRW_2611.jpg
    CRW_2611.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 99
  • CRW_2592.jpg
    CRW_2592.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 88
  • sparrowCRW_2593.jpg
    sparrowCRW_2593.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 97
  • CRW_2594.jpg
    CRW_2594.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 112
On the weavers, yes Baglafecht weaver. Saw a nice pair of them in the rainforests of port Gentil in Gabon.

As for the birds added later in this thread, the first one is not a Streaky-headed Seed-eater, The seed-eater had a plane belly and the supercilium does not extend onto the side of the nape. I think it might be one of the female paradise-whydahs.

As for teh sparrow, the plain grey underparts and lack of a white throat-patch rules out all but Swainson's Sparrow and Parrot-billed Sparrow. The differences here is parrot-billed has a brown shoulder to the wing and a bron mantle, whereas on Sainson's, these parts are grey.

I would make it Parrot-billed although it is Swainson's that occurs more in gardens etc that Parrot-billed.

Cheers.
Doug

Last edited:
doug_newman said:
On the weavers, yes Baglafecht weaver. Saw a nice pair of them in the rainforests of port Gentil in Gabon.

As for the birds added later in this thread, the first one is not a Streaky-headed Seed-eater, The seed-eater had a plane belly and the supercilium does not extend onto the side of the nape. I think it might be one of the female paradise-whydahs.

As for teh sparrow, the plain grey underparts and lack of a white throat-patch rules out all but Swainson's Sparrow and Parrot-billed Sparrow. The differences here is parrot-billed has a brown shoulder to the wing and a bron mantle, whereas on Sainson's, these parts are grey.

I would make it Parrot-billed although it is Swainson's that occurs more in gardens etc that Parrot-billed.

Cheers.
Doug

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your input
Stevenson & Fanshaw shows two seedeaters, a Streaky-headed with a plain breast as you say but also a Streaky one Serinus striolatus with a streaked breast. As the latter has also greenish edges to the primaries, that is why I had plumped for this one.
Thoughts?

I reckon you're spot on with Streaky Seedeater Tully. Also, thanks to you (and Doug) I've revised my opinion on the Sparrows. I'd figured they must be Swahili Sparrows, as it appeared that the only other "Grey-headed" Sparrow in range was Parrot-billed which in the field guides it seemed to suggest tended to stay away from human habitation. I've now been back to the books and one of them (Stevenson & Fanshaw I think), adds that in spite of this they are found in the Nairobi area.

Living & learning!

James

James,
For me they look like Parrot-billed because of the chestnut-brown scapulars. I will wait til tomorrow on this one for anyone else wanting to comment. In the meantime, I know there is at least one video on IBC of the male Parrot-billed. I will probably download it and grab the photograms to have a better look. Unfortunately, many of these sympatric African Passer sp. belonging to the once Grey-headed Passer complex are confusing and I am still waiting for my African ID books from Lynx.

cuckooroller said:
James,
For me they look like Parrot-billed because of the chestnut-brown scapulars. I will wait til tomorrow on this one for anyone else wanting to comment. In the meantime, I know there is at least one video on IBC of the male Parrot-billed. I will probably download it and grab the photograms to have a better look. Unfortunately, many of these sympatric African Passer sp. belonging to the once Grey-headed Passer complex are confusing and I am still waiting for my African ID books from Lynx.

Hi Steve,
We value your comments and look forward to any further views you may have
Cheers

cuckooroller said:

Steve
Thanks very much for that. If you think its any use you are welcome to put it in the database
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back