• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE China mysteries (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi,

I'm working from clearer to less clear ids! Here are two flying birds, which I think may be herons. These were seen by my husband, so there isn't much more to say about them, except they were seen near water, in rural Nanchang. I'm not very good at identifying flying birds :-C

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• flying bird.jpg
    flying bird.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 105
  • flying bird 2.jpg
    flying bird 2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 100
I agree with both. Reasonably confident for 1, with the pale throat stripe (vs pale stripe on the side of the neck and speckled throat and breast for black bittern, plus leg color of course).

Last edited:
Thanks very much Thibauld and Jeff! I have actually seen a few herons looking like the first one, and so am quite interested to have that one identified. (Until the other day, I had totally ignored the possible presence of striated herons.) The second was more what I had guessed. This should help me to identify those birds which I don't seem to see until we've inadvertently flushed them!

There's an obvious size difference between the two, Gretchen, but of course that can't really be determined easily from photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back