• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you focus when you need glasses ? (1 Viewer)

JGobeil

Nature Photographer
Like many oldies (I'm 63) I need reading glasses (+2 diopter). My DSLR has diopter correction so I do not wear glasses when birding since my eyesight is perfect at a distance.

When digiscoping, I use a 4X loupe with diopter adjustment on the LCD of the camera and this works fine. On the scope, I can get a clear focus by adjusting the focus control but this focus turns out to be off for the camera by my eye correction of a +2 diopter. The result is that most of my photographs have a soft focus. This soft focus is difficult if not impossible to detect in the field on the small LCD but shows up big time on the computer screen.

I am sure that many birders have that problem. How do you solve it ?

Like many oldies (I'm 63) I need reading glasses (+2 diopter). My DSLR has diopter correction so I do not wear glasses when birding since my eyesight is perfect at a distance.

When digiscoping, I use a 4X loupe with diopter adjustment on the LCD of the camera and this works fine. On the scope, I can get a clear focus by adjusting the focus control but this focus turns out to be off for the camera by my eye correction of a +2 diopter. The result is that most of my photographs have a soft focus. This soft focus is difficult if not impossible to detect in the field on the small LCD but shows up big time on the computer screen.

I wear my reading glasses if I decide to manually focus. The camera seems to autofocus through the scope O.K. so much of the time I don't bother!

I wear my reading glasses if I decide to manually focus. The camera seems to autofocus through the scope O.K. so much of the time I don't bother!

Thanks for your answer Alan. I was afraid to get that response, hoping to be able to avoid using my glasses :C Well, I guess I'll have to get used to it !

This soft focus is difficult if not impossible to detect in the field on the small LCD but shows up big time on the computer screen.

I wear graduated bi-focals so have to be careful when looking through the scope. I get around this problem by not worrying too much with image focus on the screen. I focus the scope with the camera off , put the camera back on and do a half-press . If the camera is in focus it's indicator will be steady (usually a green light) then take the photo. A cable release if better for doing this than your finger , or you could use the Self-timer. Neil.

This soft focus is difficult if not impossible to detect in the field on the small LCD but shows up big time on the computer screen.

I wear graduated bi-focals so have to be careful when looking through the scope. I get around this problem by not worrying too much with image focus on the screen. I focus the scope with the camera off , put the camera back on and do a half-press . If the camera is in focus it's indicator will be steady (usually a green light) then take the photo. A cable release if better for doing this than your finger , or you could use the Self-timer. Neil.

Neil, how do you focus the scope ? With or without glasses ? If you focus it without glasses, it will be soft focused for the camera but OK for your eye.

I also wear graduated bi-focals. Using them makes the problem worse. Depending on where you look, the correction is somewhere between 0,5 and 2.0...

Neil, how do you focus the scope ? With or without glasses ? If you focus it without glasses, it will be soft focused for the camera but OK for your eye.
I also wear graduated bi-focals. Using them makes the problem worse. Depending on where you look, the correction is somewhere between 0,5 and 2.0...

I focus with glasses on as I'm short sighted , making sure I look through the top half. I have the bottom half setup for reading and looking at the computer screen so often the lcd is too close (when I'm sitting ) which is why I can't rely on my glasses to get me sharp focus. I find the AF indicators on the cameras to be quite reliable for determining focus if the scope is focused first. Neil.

Thanks Neil. I'll try with glasses.

A month ago, I purchased a P500 and ended up with extremely soft pictures. I returned the camera for this reason and because it is very slow. I had better success with an old 3 MPX Pentax Optio.

I will order a Canon A570 IS or a A640 this week.

A570:
Less noise at high ISO
IS

A640:
10 MPX
Larger CCD
Swivel LCD
Better quality lens

I will probably get the A570. I feel it will give me better pictures at the end because of the IS and better noise processing. You are the expert; what do you think ?

Last edited:
Thanks Neil. I'll try with glasses.

A month ago, I purchased a P500 and ended up with extremely soft pictures. I returned the camera for this reason and because it is very slow. I had better success with an old 3 MPX Pentax Optio.

I will order a Canon A570 IS or a A640 this week.

A570:
Less noise at high ISO
IS

A640:
10 MPX
Larger CCD
Swivel LCD
Better quality lens

I will probably get the A570. I feel it will give me better pictures at the end because of the IS and better noise processing. You are the expert; what do you think ?

The Canon 35 - 140 mm lens is very sharp (I don't know the A570 but I assume the lens behaves the same way as the A640 ) (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona640/page15.asp ) but it is difficult to digiscope with. You need an eyepiece with 20 mm of Eye Relief at least (more is better ) and it's best if you have a universal-type adapter like the Baader Microstage (http://www.seeviewo.org/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14) so that you can easily slide the camera in and out as you zoom. I have had a special adapter made for my A640 which is shorter than the Canon original and has a 52 mm thread (the original Canon is 58 mm and needs a 58/52 mm converter to mate with my Swaro DCA - this adds a little thickness too)
Although the A640 screen is big , it's low resolution to not easy in bright light to see focus. But I like the rotatable screen and have adapted to the low rez . I'm annoyed at the P5000's screen in bright sun as I have a straight scope which makes it very difficult to see. Both cameras would benefit from a hood of some kind.
I would go for the camera that has the easier to use screen for your setup if you have the right eyepiece - zooms won't work well.

I hope this helps, Neil.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions Neil.

I have a universal adapter but I plan to make my own slide in adapter that I will attach to the Canon lens adapter. I won't hesitate to shorten the Canon lens adapter if I have to. I will use the universal adapter to find the ideal lens to eyepiece distance.

My scope has a 19 mm eye relief. It is a Vortex Skyline 20-60X 80mm Straight http://www.vortexoptics.com/spotting_scopes/view/vortex_skyline_straight_80mm
Not very high quality, but surprisingly good. Anyway, it will have to do for the moment. Why do you say that a zoom eyepiece won't work well ?

Not very high quality, but surprisingly good. Anyway, it will have to do for the moment. Why do you say that a zoom eyepiece won't work well ?[/QUOTE]

Usually because they don't have enough eye relief. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back