• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

could you please tell me what kind of hawk you think this is? (1 Viewer)

justlearning09

I live in north west pa. And have 2 hawks in my yard. There has been one for a month or two but now there is a second one. Some times I see both of them other times just one. I live out in the county but not to far I am about 3 miles froim town. I have seen them in the morning afternoon evening and even at night. I captured this picture today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40047560@N07/3683480728/

Attachments

• hawk in yard 010.jpg
    hawk in yard 010.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 135
Red-shouldered Hawk. Much lighter and less rufous than what I see in California. Nice photo.
Sue

thank you, now I can research and find out more about these beautful hawks.

Your search could start in our Opus entry.

In addition, you have a nice photo there, and there are not many photos showing a similar pale RSH in our gallery, so please consider adding your photo to the Birdforum gallery.

And I see you are new to Birdforum, so a warm welcome!

Cheers
Niels

In addition, you have a nice photo there, and there are not many photos showing a similar pale RSH in our gallery, so please consider adding your photo to the Birdforum gallery.

Good point Niels. If no location had been given, I would have guessed that this had been taken in South Florida. This bird certainly looks pale headed like the South Florida subspecies of Red-shouldered Hawk, B. l. extimus. I'm not aware of them being recorded outside of South Florida, however.

Best,
Jim

Might it be an overexposed photo due to the background? It should show some rufous or tawny barring on the breast and abdomen.
Bob

Might it be an overexposed photo due to the background? It should show some rufous or tawny barring on the breast and abdomen.
Bob

Could be; that was not my original impression, but the photographer might inform us further

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back