• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bearded Reedlings (1 Viewer)

bit of luck as well there generally don't like windy days

I've heard lots of people say that but i saw my first ones this year down in Norfolk, I saw them easily at Strumpshaw, Titchwell and Cley all on miserable windy days so I went back to a couple of those places later in the week in much better conditions and never saw a one so I wouldnt always worry too much about the weather.

I have seen them at Fowlmere many years ago, small flock of about five. It was January and very cold, thought when they are feeding on seeds it might be easier to see them.

Knowing the call is vital. This how I pick up most Bearded Tit I see. Regular visits to sites like Stodmarsh tells me that, whilst you can see them on breezy days, they tend to be more visible (and their calls easier to pick up from the noisy background) on a still day. A touch of frost can push them up out of the frozen base of reedbeds to feed higher up, but none of us want it too cold as they're vulnerable in such weather. Visiting a reedbed where they breed in late spring/early summer can be good as adults have to be more active and skim low over the reeds to bring food to the nest . When the young are more active is another good time,

Are Bearded Reedlings very difficult to see or do my birdwatching skills need improving?

As they fly over the reeds, constantly 'chinging' as said above, you can actually hear the change in pitch due to the relative movement of the birds to the observer - it's a good example of the Doppler Effect, and if you happen to have the musical ear possessed by most Welsh (going by your location), you can probably tell by how many semitones the pitch changes...:eek!:
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back