• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

Kevin Conville

yardbirder
It was a perfect spring day in Santa Monica Mountains (SoCal) today and I was birding and taking a few pics. I found myself thinking how happy and satisfied I am not chasing the "ultimate binocular" and that I realized what I had while I still had it. That doesn't always happen.

For me the 8x32 BN is probably the ultimate binocular. When all things are considered, I can't think of a bin that suits me better.
At least, I want for nothing more :t:

Attachments

• Leica 8x32 BN.jpg
    Leica 8x32 BN.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 323
I have to admit not using mine (actually, the very similar BA model) much anymore because its 8' close focus isn't as good for butterflying as that of my 8x32 FL, but no bin is more dear to my heart. I keep it handy and had it out a bit last weekend. It is such a beautifull integrated design, so nicely assembled, and so ergonomic. My birding set used to consist of these, the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, and the B&L 7x26 Custom, along with the Nikon 78 ED scope. My search for a more satisfying optics set has been largely futile. Really, the only optic I've acquired in the past 15 years that has added significant functionality for birding is the Nikon 50 ED scope with Velbon Ultra-Luxi tripod and RRS B-25 ballhead, though I do also like the smaller size and against-the-light performance of my Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL that replaced my B&L Custom in use.

--AP

My Leica 8x32 BA (dating back to 1993) was my most used binocular for some 20 years - until I got the Swarovski Habicht 7x42. I still use the Leica quite a lot, but optically the Habicht just kills it. And it weighs the same as the Leica, despite its 42mm objective lenses.

Hermann

Same here guys. I really like the Trinovid 8x32 BN and expect to continue using it for some more time to come. The some of its parts is very difficult to beat. Enjoy in good health.

I always loved my Leica Trinovids 8x32 BN for it's good optics and great build quality and for it's time it was a great binocular. But I am in the same boat as Hermann. My Swarovski 8x32 SV's just kill the BN optically. The BN had to go. A lot of guides in Central America still use the BN because they can take a beating though.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have one just like Caruh's. I doubt that anyone is at any great disadvantage with the 8x32 BN, especially in durability. However, there have been improvements in the last decade: dielectric mirrors, ED glass and weight saving, which make a difference.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I owe it all to you Jerry. This is the BN from the archery forum you posted about a few years ago on Brock's Santa's Leica thread.

Good for you, I thought that was one worth posting.

Enjoy in good health. Those Leica's are well regarded.

Jerry

Wow Caruh, that is one RED pair of bins.

Hope you got them at a good price.

They were so solid your local blacksmith could hammer out horseshoes around them :-O

Enjoy!

Lee

Funny you should mention horses........$575 from someone in Abilene, Texas. Box, strap, rain guard, no case (found one later) and Texas grit in eyecups for authenticity.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back