• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying binoculars (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all these comments.

How restricting are the harnesses? Not sure I want to wear one over my waterproof - not sure why, but I just get the feeling that it would feel restrictive. Not sure how practical it would be beneath the jacket. Can you unzip, get bins out and rezip?

I've also been looking into scopac type carriers for 'scope, looks like I will be covered in harnesses!

As I walk along I get the feeling that the simplest solution would be the strap connected to bin strap behind the neck and attached to belt like Henry's 'wedgy link'

Joking aside I can actually see the sense in the coathanger. I'm currently using the swaro strap at full extension and putting it outside my shoulders - but it slips all the time.

Over one shoulder and to the side is good until you are carrying a scope too.

It seems as though those of us with neck problems really see this as an issue whilst others think we're fussy wingers!

Thanks for comments

Roger

I've used my harness while hiking up and down mountains (literally) and carrying a rather heavy day pack and rifle and there was almost no issue with comfort or convenience. The only issue you may encounter could be if you're wearing a larger jacket than usual and the harness then might be a bit snug if used without adjustment. I used to carry my binoculars with a neck strap and found that it got in the way and would start to wear on the neck muscles, but getting the harness was the best thing I could've done. I now don't have to worry about bending forward and having the binoculars swing out and hit things or get hung up on brush. Definitely worth the investment. I purchased a set for a mere $14.99 (US) at a local retailer. Here is the same model from Eagle Optics.

One thing that I did that might of use is to take one extra of rings (mine came with two sets) that attach to the binocular and put it on a second set, if you have one. I then purchased (for about $2 at a local store) the same type of clip that the bino harness has and attached them to my existing neck strap. By doing this, I can use either set of binoculars with either the neck strap or harness and change them quickly by simply using the quick release clips. Hopefully that makes sense. I typically won't use the harness when I'm on a road trip with the family, but I want the binos with me to do some quick glassing. Then it's nice to unclip the harness, hook the neck strap on and I'm ready to go in literally seconds.

Last edited:
If you use a day pack you can connect the strap to the "carrying handle" at the top of the pack with a mini karabina (clip). The pack then takes the weight of the binos. I use this often. It also allows you to hang the strap down on one side of your neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back