• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Great Bustard chicks hatch (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Super. The more there are, the wider the global distribution, the better. Full marks to the project.

Yes, this breeding success is very good news but there's still a long way to go. I note that the website above refers to a current population of 18 released birds, but figures elsewhere on the site seem to suggest that nearly 70 birds have been released. Perhaps that's a normal level of mortality though?

Ye I note that the website above refers to a current population of 18 released birds, but figures elsewhere on the site seem to suggest that nearly 70 birds have been released. Perhaps that's a normal level of mortality though?

That equates to a 25 % survival rate, I would suppose that is a fairly good percentage for first year birds to survive into adulthood. I hope.

There was an article on Springwatch this evening about the Salisbury Plain Great Bustard chicks. All very encouraging.

I'm overjoyed. I don't understand why other species (cranes, beavers, cirl buntings) that are generally less threatened globally, receive so much support but that this project hasn't. Well done to all those concerned. I would imagine that the likelihood of these particular chicks surviving is low (inexperienced parent, high natural mortality etc.) but let's keep our fingers crossed.

Why not show your support by joining the Great Bustard Group?

Have just been to RSPB talk (N. Wilts branch) on this project, ending with this piece of news. Wonderful....as there are so many failure rates along the way, starting with obtaining eggs from Russia. Lots of hazards in the fields...tractors running over the eggs, eggs being kept on a bumpy tractor for 2 hours before recovery, predation from other birds, lack of care of birds in Russia, etc, etc.
So now one chick from a 4 year old female, and 2 chicks from a 3 year old female. An earlier clutch of eggs were declared infertile because of the mothers' age, but these births turn that theory on its head.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back