• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions Bushnell Legend 8x32 vs Pentax DCF WP/SP 8x32 vs Nikon HG LX 8x32? (1 Viewer)

FowlFan

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these bins side by side. I have heard that the Legends and Pentax SP/WP are close optically. Just wondering which has the edge on the others. Someone said they saw the Legend as sharper than the SP, then someone else, Kevin?, said that the WP was sharper than the SP. Kind of a bit surprised by that. So how would the Legend compare to the WP?
Not sure I would like the eyecups on the WP though, I have heard they are pull up instead of twist up.

I currently have a pair of Japanese made Bushnell Legend 8x32 and am just curious as to how they might stack up to some other bins considering a possible upgrade. I have also heard some of the Legends (later models?) were made in China rather than Japan and am wondering if they are any different optically for better or worse?

I am also curious to know how the Nikon HG LX 8x32 would compare to these. I know the Nikon is significantly more expensive, is the increase in price justified? Are they that much better? Is the Nikon ED glass?

Fowlfan,

Lots of questions. Some I can help with.

Yes, the Nikon LXL 8x32 is notably better than the other models you mentioned. It has a flat field with a very wide sweet spot. Color rendition and contrast are excellent. CA is more pronounced though in comparison to the other binoculars it compared with optically (Leica Trinovid BN, Swaro SLC, etc...)

I did own all three of the other 8x32s you mentioned at one time or another. The Legend I had early on and was very happy with it in comparison to the Monarch 10x42 I had at the time. That is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but still I thought the image quality was comparable despite some color biases.

I bought another pair of them within the last few months when they were on closeout from astronomics. The focus was faster than I remember and there was a bit more edge distortion than I am now accustomed to.

I had the opportunity, through another forum member, to try the 8x32 WPs and was favorably impressed with their apparent sharpness. The 8x32 SPs always impressed me as a very well rounded binocular and certainly one of my favorite 8x32s under $700.

Sorry I could not help more.

Thanks Frank for your input. I guess basically what I am trying to get at is would one of those Pentax be much if any of an upgrade from the Bushnell Legends or would I need to jump up to something like the Nikon LXL or others to notice a difference.

I'm sure some will disagree but this is based on extensive usage. I am a new-model Legend 8x42 owner (China) and former Pentax 8x32 SP owner. I can't comment on your earlier Japanese model, but I think it's fair to say in response.

The 8x32 SP is a far better instrument than the new Legends. I took the Legends on an extended trip and used them every day. I found the diopter needed to be adjusted frequently based on time of day (late dusk vs daylight) and distance of subjects , as well as having a general je ne sais quois compared to the always consistent Pentax. How's that for specificity :)

While the Legend is adequate for most conditions, very good under consistent conditions, and built very well, the Pentax is just plain better.

All the bins here suffer from significant chromatic aberration under the right conditions.

So why do I have the Legends still but not the Pentax? The Pentax were replaced with a different magnification glass. The Legends were a good deal so they get travel and sharing duty.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back