• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What power would you use for raptor and seawatching (1 Viewer)

Bubbs

I know this has probably been done to death but which power would you recommend for raptor and sea watching...8's or 10's? The choice would be between Leica and Swarovski. The raptor watching would be in the Middle East. Any advice would be appreciated.

John.

Will you be on a boat or not? If you are on a smaller boat, you will prefer 7x and 8x. If you are on the shore, I think a binocular and a scope are needed.

Raptor watching is an individual thing, and all powers are used, 6x to 10x.

These can require two entirely different powers. I have always done my pelagic birding with 8 power binoculars, and with the movement of the boat, I think that is reasonable. However, many birds seen in the North Atlantic are distant--you hope they come close! I have fared well with 8x's. As to hawk watching, there are circumstances where the birds are closer, and then those that are further away. Where I watch hawk migration, many birds are seen at the limit of binocular view, where a scope is required to identify them. Other places, they fly right overhead. I only use a 10x binocular for hawk watching, and that after having tried to use my 8. Can you hold a 10 power steady on land? (You cannot hold anything steady on the open sea). My vote would be 10s for hawks and 8s for pelagic, but that is based on my personal experience.

Thanks guys.

My ancient and much loved Zeiss are now on the verge of being replaced. My seawatching is land based and rarely from boats.

I have noticed with my 10's, and the narrowish field of view, that my natural shake (we all have it as we get older) is magnified through the 10's; I cannot detect much of the shake through the 8's or even 8.5's. My main worry is that 8's or the 8.5's is not quite enough, especially for distant seabirds and raptors. That extra 2x may just may make the difference...I think ;) I just wondered what others use.

John.

A scope. You might find a fairly cheap 12x or 16x porro to mount on a tripod or a monopod. But many 16x porros are pretty bad.

Zeiss Conquest 12x, interestingly, is pretty light.

That extra 2x may just may make the difference
John.

I don't think it will make a difference and the lack of shake with 8x makes a big difference. Given your problem with the 10x, I'd say go with the 8x. You really need a spotting scope for looking at birds out in the water from the shore anyway, so the power of your binoculars really is just a matter of what feels comfortable to you (unless you get some "large" binocs like 20x80s and mount them on a tripod).

From what you've said, I definitely agree. Get a good pair of 8's--I like 8x32's for their wide view--and then a good scope. Most have very usable zooms now, with wider fields and good eye relief. I personally use a Nikon FS III ED with a carbon fiber tripod. That with my x32 FL's are easy to carry for any distance along the shore, or walking to a watch site.

Get modern & get the Canon IS 12X30 or the 10x42 .
Like having a tripod in your hands . Optics are great also.
Come to that any of the Canon IS bins are worth having .
If more birders would try them the wouldn,t go back to the old fashioned stuff.
Brian.

Get modern & get the Canon IS 12X30 or the 10x42 .
Like having a tripod in your hands . Optics are great also.
Come to that any of the Canon IS bins are worth having .
If more birders would try them the wouldn,t go back to the old fashioned stuff.
Brian.

I´m with Brian, I was about to say the same until I saw his thread. 12x36 IS are superb, steady as a rock on a boat or for flying raptors and seabirds (I also have Swaro 10x, and the shake you refer to is really noticeable after having tried IS). Canon "L-series" 10x42 are very highly spoken of, but I´ve never seen a pair. Check the reviews in the Canon thread. I know a lot of birders think that IS binoculars are a bit "girly", but hey, we´re birders, we don´t have egos.....;). Good Luck with your choice. Try before you buy.

Check the reviews in the Canon thread. I know a lot of birders think that IS binoculars are a bit "girly", but hey, we´re birders, we don´t have egos...... Good Luck with your choice. Try before you buy.

Unfortunately too many birders do judge each other by their bins, which nowadays at least is very misleading. Many birders do have egos and have to be seen with 'the right' pair round their necks.

If more people took Sancho's lead then IS bins would probably be much more popular by now, particularly if you are older or have a medical condition. If they work for you then go for it.

I appreciate all your replies....the IS range don't really appeal to me as they look quite bulky and I do prefer something which is more compact. I suppose I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to bins.

The Swaro's I looked through were very bright and appealed to me but the shake on the 10X was noticeable...must leave off the red wine the night before a test :t:

Thanks for all your replies...I still don't know what to do though, and I don't care for owning two pairs (8's and 10's).

Now which dealer will the lend me a pair for the day? :-O

John.

John, just to add to what I said, most reviewers have found that there is no difference between 8x and 10x bins in their ability to identify something - i.e. the small difference in magnification isn't enough to make a difference. So, given that (or even not given that, if you doubt it), why are you even thinking about 10x, since you are having trouble holding them steady? Plus less field of view, etc.

In the Middle East I suspect heat haze may be the limiting factor on id rather than the power of the binoculars likewise for seawatching the contrast between the sea and land temperature can create weird distortions.

Personally if they were remotely affordable I'd go the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL. Not only are they amongst the finest binoculars ever made their balance in the hand makes them remarkbly easy to hold steady - if you stay off the wine!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back