• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 roof with the best eye relief (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Which 10x42 roof prism binocular, at 500.00, truely has the best eye releif
for eyeglass wearers that can get a full circle for vewing?

Id like to hear from folks who actually have experience with these bins. NOT
just looking at the specs, which can be somewhat inaccurate.

Thanks!

It does make a difference what eye glass frames you use. Mine are particularly bad, medium large frames for bifocals. My eye sockets are pretty deep and the modern small frames get greasy very quickly from skin contact.

The only pair of any sort I have owned that gave me a full view was a Nikon Action 8x40 EX porro. The eye relief there is 17.2mm.

Here is a link to a list of actual eye relief for about 30 pair of binoculars. The usable eye relief is the total er minus the recess of the lens.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...1908087/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/vc/1

Nikon Action Extremes actually have only about 14mm usable eye relief. 13mm is the minimum I need to see the entire fov with my eyeglasses.

Nikon Monarch 10x42 and Pentax DCF HR II 10x42 both have only 12mm. Sorry, I can't tell you which binoculars have the best er. I can only tell you the values for those I have measured.

edz

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back