• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chalcopsitta duyvenbodei or duivenbodei (1 Viewer)

Susan Manchester

What a mess! We have birds here named after Maarten Dirk van Renesse van Duyvenbode or Duivenbode, according to some. Zoonomen has both the Duivenbode's Lory and Duivenbode's Riflebird named for Constantijn Willem Rudolf van Renesse van Duivenbode, which many are saying is the same person as Maarten, although Constantijn was born 2/23/1858. There is alos the hybrid Duivenbode's Bird-of-Paradise and the Elegant Sunbird. There is a Maarten Dirk that was born 11/2/1804 and died 6/24/1838, and one that was born 5/13/1854 and died in 1917. This Maarten or Constantijn is the father of Adolphine Susanna Wilhelmina van Renesse van Duivenbode, born 1844, and the father-in-law of Antonie Augustus Bruijn, born 1842, so obviously it is not the Maarten born in 1854 or the Constantijn born in 1858. However, this van Duivenbode also helped Alfred Russel Wallace when he was collecting in the Indonesian archipelago from 1858-1862, and that could not be any of them, because the first one died in 1838, and the other two would have been 4 years old and 1 year old respectively.

The other thing that is confusing is that Maarten Dirk, born in 1804, is listed as the father of both the son Lodewijk Diederik W. A.? van Renesse van Duivenbode, born 3/5/1828, and the half-caste son Lodewijk Diederik Hendrik Alexander, born 1832. One of these young men collected specimens with brother-in-law Bruijn, but which one? Like I said...what a mess!

Susan,
A. A. Prestwich 1963, "I Name This Parrot", p. 29, writes (under Chalcopsitta duivenbodei), "M. Alph. Dubois [1884] says that some months previous M. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode has presented a magnificent collection of animals and birds from New Guinea. Amongst them was a new Lory which he proposed dedicating to the donor. Maarten Dirk van Renesse van Duivenbode and his son Lodewijk Diederik Hendrik Alexander (1832 or 1833-1881 or 1882) were planters and merchants at Ternate, Moluccas, and Manado, Celebes. (Unaccountably there are several variants of the initials of the elder van Duivenbode) ...Beside the Lory dedicated to the father two Birds of Paradise were named for the son, Parotia duivenbodei Rothschild 1900, and Paryphephorus duivenbodei Meyer 1890."

Maarten Dirksz van Renesse van Duivenbode, the man was met by A.R. Wallace in Ternate (and nicknamed The King of Ternate) and was born at 2 June 1804 at Ternate, by then Dutch Territory. He died in the same town at 31 March 1878. He served for the Dutch Trade Company (Nederlandsche Handelsmaatschappij), was merchant, captain, commander and honorary major. He was knighted in the order of the Dutch Lion and the Leopold's order. He married twice, and from his second marriage with Chinese born Gim Nio (later baptized as Antoinette Elisabeth Johanna van Renesse van Duivendode), they became three children: Diederik Leonard, Adolphina Susanna Wilhelmina and Constantijn Willem Rudolf (23 February 1858 Ternate).The latter went on with the family business as far as I know. They let native collectors collect birds in the archipelago.

A.B. Meyer described; Basilornis galeatus (1894), Parotia carolae carolae (1894) and Ducula mullerii aurantia (1894) from van Renesse collections, from C.W.R.

Adolphina was married by the well-known collector Antonie August Bruijn (1842-1890) (known from the Megapode). And most likely Bruijn worked together with this brother-in-law in selling specimens to (in special) European Museums.

Last edited:
I think we have all been led astray by Prestwich 1963! All the Dutch and other genealogical records I could find, showed Maarten Dirk van Duivenbode (Duyvenbode is an archaic 16th century spelling) was born on Ternate 2 Nov 1804, and died on Amboyna 124 June 1838. He married firstly Carolina Jacoba Weintré on 17 April 1825, and she died on 15 Aug 1836. They had at least 4 children, of whom the eldest surviving was Lodewijk Diederik [Willem Alexander] (sometimes referred to as L. D. H[endrik]. A.), born on Ternate 5 Mar 1828, died at Manado 14 Jan 1879 (and who is Wallace’s “King of Ternate”). Maarten married secondly Antoinetta Elisabeth Johanna Genua on 1 Feb 1837, but I think the children by this marriage, if any, are red herrings! Maarten’s children adopted the style van Renesse van Duivenbode, and the name is so referred to in ornithology (where often abbreviated, e.g. M[ijnheer] R. van Duivenbode). Since Maarten died in 1838, I assume that Constantijn Willem Rudolf (born 23 Feb 1858, still living in 1910) must be a son of Lodewijk who married Esther Helena Hartman on 18 Jul 1853. Constantijn, a Director of the Dutch East India Company, is often referred to in the Rothschild correspondence. His name is commemorated in Chalcopsittacus duivenbodei Dubois, 1884, Craspedophora duivenbodei Meyer, 1890, and Parotia duivenbodei Rothshcild, 1900. Nectarinia duyvenbodei Schlegel, 1871, commemorates Lodewijk, who collected one of the types in 1865/1866. With regards to Paradisea duivenbodei Menegau, 1913, this name could refer to either Constantijn or to Maarten Dirk, son of Lodewijk, who was born at Manado 13 May 1854 and died there in Dec 1917. I haven’t yet seen the description.

Dear James, did you look at Heij C.J. 2010. Biographical Notes of Antonie Augustus Bruijn (1842-1890). HIs Life as a Marine Officer in the Dutch Navy and Lifetime as a Trader in Naturalia on Ternate, the Moluccas, Indonesia. I have my details from here. And I though he researched all well as Duivenbode was the son in law of Bruijn. Best wishes, Justin

James and Justin, I am so sorry I missed out on this stimulating (and confusing) conversation! My computer was out of commission for three weeks, and I just cannot seem to catch up with the backlog. Did either of you find anything about Lodewijk Diederik W. A., born 3/5/1828?

Details as provided by James Jobling are lacking in the Hey publication and are not in accordance to James's findings as Heij (2010) mentioned (due genealogical research) that Maarten Dirksz van Duivenbode born at 2 June 1804 and died at 31 March 1878. He became owner of the family name at 14 July 1857 of Renesse van Duivenbode. From his first marriage with Carolina Jacoba Weintre (1812-1836) and married at 17 April 1825 no child are mentioned in the Heij publication. So James would be right in that I suppose, and they would include L.D.W.A.. Only from his second marriage with Gim Nio (baptized as Antoinette Elisabeth Johanna van Renesse van Duivenbode) are the kids mentioned (as posted before).

One of those tricky Mr., Monsieur or Mijnheer van Duivenbode

I unfortunely started another thread in this subject http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264810

… but can we (refering to the type description shown on that thread), agree on (without involving other species, so called "species", subspecies or hybrids) that the unquestionably valid specie Chalcopsitta duivenbodei is named after "C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode" = the Dutch merchant, trader in feathers and other Naturalia, collector and dealer in natural history specimens; Constantijn Willem (sometimes spelled William) Rudolf (alt. Rudolph) van Renesse van Duivenbode, from the Island Ternate in the Moluccas, eastern Indonesia.

= Constantijn Willem Rudolf van Renesse van Duivenbode (1858– and still alive 1910*).

* Both according to Jobling (this thread and on the other) and Natural History Museum, London (see link):
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/library/archives/catalogue/dserve.exe?dsqServer=placid&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqSearch=AltRefNo=='TR1%2F1%2F31%2F168'&dsqCmd=Show.tcl

It seems hard fo find any additional records of this man ...

There is a "C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode" that established a company in Amsterdam "C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode": "Borneo Exploratie- en Mijnbouw-Maatschappij 'Pasangan' ", where he was Commissaris (board member). See attached file. Maybe the same person? That signature is the only physical trace that I´ve been able to find after him. No photos, nothing … does anyone knows when he died?

I might have a go on the other birds and Duivenbode's later on but it sure looks (like Susan who started this thread said) like a mess …

Attachments

• Pasangan-gelopen.jpg
    Pasangan-gelopen.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 109
To add some info: Reading Heij (2010) page 44: Maarten Dirk van Renesse van Duivenbode, had 5 children, and his youngest child Johannes Alexander had a son named Constatijn Willem Rudolf (first of four children).

Confirmation of doubtfulness

... Paradisea duivenbodei Menegau, 1913, this name could refer to either Constantijn or to Maarten Dirk, son of Lodewijk, who was born at Manado 13 May 1854 and died there in Dec 1917. I haven’t yet seen the description.

And James A. Jobling were where perfectly right (in this thread Friday 27th July 2012)!

The type description (attached) for the hybrid "Paradisea duivenbodei" (P. guilielmi X P. minor)

Menegaux, A. 1913. Description de deux noveaux Paradisiers (Paradisea Duivenbodei) et P. raggiana sororia) des collection du Muséum. Bulletin du Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle 19 (3): 145-147.

.. only tells us: "Don de M. Renesse de Duivenbode."

If there is anything else hidden in the text (in French) that unfolds which M (Monsieur) van Renesse de Duivenbode Menegaux is commemorating I do not know.

Attachments

• BdMnd'Hn 1913, Page 145.jpg
    BdMnd'Hn 1913, Page 145.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 112
  • BdMnd'Hn 1913, Page 146.jpg
    BdMnd'Hn 1913, Page 146.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 101
  • BdMnd'Hn 1913, Plate IV.jpg
    BdMnd'Hn 1913, Plate IV.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 107
I unfortunely started another thread in this subject http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264810
There is a "C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode" that established a company in Amsterdam "C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode": "Borneo Exploratie- en Mijnbouw-Maatschappij 'Pasangan' ", where he was Commissaris (board member). See attached file. Maybe the same person? That signature is the only physical trace that I´ve been able to find after him. No photos, nothing … does anyone knows when he died?
This would be strange as the family lived at Ternate, a long distance from Borneo....

Justin,
That was just a (maybe unnecessary) long-shot of mine. But starting a company, as i regestering or establish it in Amsterdam, doesn´t necessary mean that the buisness have to be conducted there, does it?

In any case, that little side-track, does not affect that Chalcopsitta duivenbodei was named after: C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode.

As well as the "Paryphephorus (Craspedophora) duivenbodei" MEYER 1890 (a k a Duivenbode's Riflebird)!

Its type description leaves no doubt what so ever (see attached files):
This specie I dedicate to Mr. C. W. R. van Renesse van Duivenbode, of Ternate, to whom science is already indebted for so many interesting additions to the Papuan avifauna. The female is, as yet, unknown.

This is nowadays considered to be another hybrid (Ptiloris magnificus X Lophorina superba). No wonder they couldn´t find any female!

Attachments

• Ibis 1890, page 419.jpg
    Ibis 1890, page 419.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Ibis 1890, page 420.jpg
    Ibis 1890, page 420.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 103
I wish I knew!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread we presumably never will know after whom the hybrid "Paradisea duivenbodei" is named. Its type description is just too vague. Maybe if someone can find a second source where the author, or someone close to the persons involved, add some more information ...

... and for the so called "Parotia duivenbodei" ROTSCHILD 1900 (another hybrid!) a k a "Duivenbode’s Six-wired Bird of Paradise" (= Parotia sefilata X Lophorina superba) I just don´t know.

The internet-issues of Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club (Volume 10, page 100 where its type description is supposed to be) are incomplete and that specific page is missing, so I haven´t been able to check it out.

The same goes for the unquestionably valid specie Aethopyga duyvenbodei SCHLEGEL 1871. Its type description (as Nectarinia duyvenbodei) is supposed to be published in Nederlandsch Tijdschrift voor De Dierkunde vol. 4: page 14 ... but the only volume 4 that I have found is from 1866 (!?) and has no mention of such a specie!?

Does anyone have a transcript, access or a copy of the proper versions of those two journals?

Especialy the Nederlandsch Tijdschrift voor De Dierkunde vol. 4 are much sought-after since it also is meant to cover the type descriptions of:
Micropsitta geelvinkiana (page 7) and Psittacella brehmii (page 35).

The internet-issues of Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club (Volume 10, page 100 where its type description is supposed to be) are incomplete and that specific page is missing, so I haven´t been able to check it out.

You mean this page ?

Attachments

• Pages from bboc010.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 349
Thanks Daniel & Justin

Those pages shows us that "Parotia duivenbodei" ROTHSCHILD 1900 commemorates yet another unspecified "Van Renesse van Duivenbode".
And Rothschild doesn´t reveal more on this "specie" in his article "On recently described Paradiseidæ, with Notes on some other new Species" that was published a decade later in "The Ibis 1911" (page 350-367). He just repeat exactly the same unknown: "Van Renesse van Duivenbode".

So I guess we´re at the "end of the road" on that one regarding exactly which of the many van Renesse van Duivenbode Rothschild was hinting at.

But he was at least kind enough to show us the bird! Hybrid or not - its a pretty bird!

Attachments

• The Ibis 1911. Page 355.jpg
    The Ibis 1911. Page 355.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 92
  • The Ibis 1911. Page 356.jpg
    The Ibis 1911. Page 356.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 85
  • The Ibis 1911. Plate V..jpg
    The Ibis 1911. Plate V..jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 106
And thanks to mb1848 (whoever you are), but ...

... I don´t see that Novitates zoologicae (link 1) has anything to add regarding exactly who´s commemorated in "Parotia duivenbodei" ? Is there more, that i missed, than "It was bought from Mr. van Renesse van Duivenbode, after whom it is named"?

And link 2 (Bulletin du Muséum national d'histoire naturelle) have we already dealt with, earlier today. Or did you find anything else?

Enlighten me!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back