• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chalcopsitta duyvenbodei or duivenbodei (1 Viewer)

Great job finding that one!

Its quite likely ... according to that link (and NHM are normaly very trustworthy) and if you scroll around its various options, it seems like (if I understand it right) that C. W. R. de Renesse de Duivenbode bounced back and forth in Europe between 1895 to 1910. That´s surprising! He seem to have left the Bird trade on Ternate, in the Moluccas, and returned "home"?

There are apparently traces of him from the Netherlands, both Hilversum (1895, 1896, 1897, 1900) and "Wÿk aan Zee" (= Wijk aan Zee, 1899)" and from "foreign" places like London (1896, 1897, 1898) and Paris (1907, 1908 and 1910). Two different addresses i Paris? The last letter sent from Paris (45 Rue de Trevise) to the well-known ornithologist Ernst Hartert on the 28th December 1910.

But there still isn´t any real connection, clear as glass, to the "Parotia duivenbodei", is there?

But I think the fact that "C. W. R." was corresponding with both Dubois, Rothschild and Hartert surely points in his way.

All the correspondence in Leiden is from L.D.W.A. van Renesse van Duivenbode (1863-1875).

For specimens in Vienna, C.W.R. is responsible.

However, specimens for the Colonial Trade Exhibition in Amsterdam (summer 1883) where donated by L.D.H.A., same applies for the type-specimens from Otus manadensis siaoensis (Schlegel, 1873) Holotype, RMNH 88345 and Ceyx fallax (Schlegel, 1866) Syntype, RMNH 88508.

However, Meyer used specimens from C.W.R. (???) when describing:Basilornis galeatus (AB Meyer 1894) Holotype SMTD C13283, Parotia carolae carolae (AB Meyer 1894) Holotype SMTD C13416 and Ducula mullerii aurantia (AB Meyer 1894) Syntype SMTD C10086.

So that makes all very confusing, regarding the commemorated names.

Last edited:
Another Duyvenbode?

I´ll have another go on the Duivenbode's/Duyvenbode's birds...

This time regarding the specie we today call Aethopyga duyvenbodei ... (or Eupandris/Nectarinia duyvenbodei)

James A. Jobling, this thread (Friday 27th July 2012): "... (Duyvenbode is an archaic 16th century spelling) ... Nectarinia duyvenbodei Schlegel, 1871, commemorates Lodewijk, who collected one of the types in 1865/1866. ..."

When I checked Dekker, R W R J & C Quassier. 2006. Type specimens of birds in the National Museum of Natural History, Leiden. Part 3. Passerines: Pachycephalidae – Corvidae (Peters's sequence). Nationaal Natuurhistorisch Museum Naturalis, Leiden. NNM Technical Bulletin 9: 1-77 it states (on page 17): "Syntype, RMNH 89965, Ad. male, skin. Loc.: Siao, Sanghir Island, [Indonesia]. Leg.: L.D.H.A. Renesse van Duyvenbode. Received: 1866."

Ok! "One of the types" ... but going further, way back, to Shelley's Monograph of the Nectariniidæ, or family of sunbirds 1879-1880 (attached), it is said about the same sun-bird (there as Eudrepanis duyvenbodei): "… it was first discovered by M. Jonkhur van Duyvenbode, and has since been procured by Hoedt, Meyer, and Bruijn."

Jonkhur!? Who´s he?

And Salvadori, that Shelly is refering to, says absolutely nothing in this matter in his article 1876 in Annali del Museo civico di storia naturale di Genova 9.

Without finding the type description för Aethopyga duyvenbodei SCHLEGEL (as Nectarinia duyvenbodei) 1871 I don´t think it is worthwhile to speculate any further.

Does anyone know where to find the 1871 (1873?) issue of: Nederlandsch Tijdschrift voor De Dierkunde vol. 4: page 14

Attachments

• MoN or FoS-B, page 81.jpg
    MoN or FoS-B, page 81.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 76
  • MoN or FoS-B, page 82.jpg
    MoN or FoS-B, page 82.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 90
  • MoN or FoS-B, Plate E. duyvenbodei.jpg
    MoN or FoS-B, Plate E. duyvenbodei.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Jonkhur & Jonkheer

Could be a title or honorific (today = Jonkheer) rather than a name.

It looks like you´re right! I managed to find a little piece of Schlegel's type description on Google Books, but only on a "Snippet Wiew", they refuse to show me the whole volume.
It is catalogued as: Nederlandsch tijdschrift voor de dierkunde, Volym 3 1973 (!! happens quite often with Google Books ... they sure are no librarians).
http://books.google.se/books/about/Nederlandsch_tijdschrift_voor_de_dierkun.html?id=yhVRAAAAcAAJ&redir_esc=y

In any case, the little I was allowed to see (attached) said: "M. Jonkheer van Duyvenbode ....". It looks like a pure misinterpretation by Shelley. I guess he (sigh ... like myself) wasn´t aware of any such Dutch honorary title.

That´s great! It means we don´t have to look for yet another Duyvenbode/Duivenbode, but that little snippet view didn´t unveil more than we´ve already guessed ...

Is there any of our American friends on Bird Forum that can get their hands on the entire content of that volume? Your access to Google Books are normaly far better than ours in Europe ...

Attachments

• books.png
    books.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 73
Hmmm.
I see the whole page. I am signed into Google. or it could be a USA only thing? I do not see anything that interesting about Duivenbode in the rest of the O.D.

Signed in or not doesn´t matter

It is a North American thing! You guys have far more access to Google Books than we in Europe (and, i guess, most parts of the World). Google Books does treat Europe unfairly. Its in their policy rules ... don´t ask me why!

Paul, would it be to much to ask if you could download the pdf (the whole issue) and forward it to me? Or post it on this thread?

It is said to contain the type descriptions of Micropsitta geelvinkiana and and Psittacella brehmii as well ...

The inaccessible issue of Nederlandsch tijdschrift

... would it be to much to ask if you could download the pdf (the whole issue) and forward it to me? Or post it on this thread?

It is said to contain the type descriptions of Micropsitta geelvinkiana and and Psittacella brehmii as well ...

This request is, of course, also aimed at all other users of Bird Forum that might have access to read (or download) it ...

http://books.google.se/books/about/Nederlandsch_tijdschrift_voor_de_dierkun.html?id=yhVRAAAAcAAJ&redir_esc=y

When I go to that page, the menu from the gear thing at top right includes "Ladda ner PDF". I assume you don't get that option?

Anyway I downloaded it and the first two pages are Google encouraging me to make sure I don't distribute it to anywhere where it's still copyrighted. But since it was published 140 years ago I'm going to take the chance and assume it's in the public domain everywhere.

Attachments

• Nederlandsch_tijdschrift_voor_de_dierkun.pdf
    15.6 MB · Views: 68
A thousand thanks!

Paul,
You made my day!

And you assumed right. The download option was´nt available.

And rest assure, you´re safe, the copyright is long over due ... in Europe as well.

Type description ... at last!

Ok, here we got it! The type description for (Eupandris/Nectarinia) Aethopyga duyvenbodei SCLEGEL 1871 (1973) ... (excerpt attached)

So, forget about Shelley's erroneus "Jonkhur". I does state: "Jonkheer"

But what does the whole text mean?

Was this specie, like a lot of others in Schlegels article "Observations Zoologiques IV"(pp. 1-32) collected by von Rosenberg or by Hoedt?

If curious; see the whole text in Nederlandsch tijdschrift voor de dierkunde 4 attached in this thread by Paul Clapham #36)

Attachments

• NtvdD 1871 - p.14.jpg
    NtvdD 1871 - p.14.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
The male type of Aethopyga (or Duyvena) duyvenbodei was sent to the Netherlands by van Duivenbode. It was doubtless shot on Sangihe by one of his native collectors. Subsequently, two further male specimens were forwarded by Hoedt from Sangihe.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back