• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (5 Viewers)

Welldone to everyone on there new birds recently.
Ive just realised I've only need to see one last British breeding bird to complate the list as far as I'm aware- cirl bunting!
Just waiting for the chance!

That's quite impressive. Can I ask where you saw your Lady Amherst's Pheasant? To my knowledge there are very little if any left but just thought I would ask incase you have seen 1.

How far out was it when you saw it?

It was fairly close inshore when I saw it. From my understanding it was about standard views of the bird, if not edging on the side of really good views. It wasn't far offshore and it was sitting up for quite a while. Could do with shooting some of those Common Scoters though ;) to many.:t:

It was fairly close inshore when I saw it. From my understanding it was about standard views of the bird, if not edging on the side of really good views. It wasn't far offshore and it was sitting up for quite a while. Could do with shooting some of those Common Scoters though ;) to many.:t:

Fantastic Andrew, I'm glad that you got decent views of the White-winged Scoters, and a great blog account of the day. :-O , there are certainly many thousands of Common Scoters, but it's quite something seeing so many of them!

Joseph

Last edited:
Yeah my understanding now is that Lady A's are extinct as a breeding species in the UK. There are a few birds left now but not many.

Yer theres only a handful of males left now I think there are like 4 'tickable' males left in the country left over from the original population.

I still need 3 breeders Cirl Bunt, Nightingale and Ring-necked Parrakeet! Tart alert!

As far as the year list goes recently managed 1 lifer and 3 more year ticks

204. Quail (cracking views of a male calling away!)
205. Honey Buzzard (4 birds at Wykenham including my first wing clapping)
206. Goshawk
207. Turtle Dove

Yer theres only a handful of males left now I think there are like 4 'tickable' males left in the country left over from the original population.

I still need 3 breeders Cirl Bunt, Nightingale and Ring-necked Parrakeet! Tart alert!

As far as the year list goes recently managed 1 lifer and 3 more year ticks

204. Quail (cracking views of a male calling away!)
205. Honey Buzzard (4 birds at Wykenham including my first wing clapping)
206. Goshawk
207. Turtle Dove

You need to a trip to Highbury Park when you are next back in Brum Tim - should be able to connect with RNP.

Phil

You should come to where I live, Ring Necked Parakeets are more common than chaffinches. I'm missing many Scottish breeeders such as Scottish Crossbill, Ptarmigan, Capercaillie, Dotterel etc..although I have been to Cairngorm once so have seen some such as White Tailed Eagle, Golden Eagle and Crested Tit. I also still need Black Grouse, Golden Pheasant, Grasshopper Warbler and Cirl Bunting. There are also the occasional breeders such as Savi's Warbler, Red Backed Shrike and Black Winged Stilt that I have not seen.

I am hoping to crack Grasshopper Warbler tomorrow at Lakenheath and get a few year ticks.

I still need Cirl Bunting; one of these birds I think I'll get one day on a twitch down in Devon sometime. I hope.

At Hartelpool there is a small breeding population of RNParakeets! Not far from the Headland. You should have spoke;)
:t:

1st) Shantanu (Mumbai, India) - 332 species
2nd) FoghornKinghorn (Durham, GB) - 232 species
3rd) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 221 species
4th) Timmyjones (Yorkshire, GB) - 207 species
5th) Joshua-B (Australia) - 200 species
6th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire GB) - 193 species
7th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) - 180 species
8th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) - 179 species
9th) Simmojunior (London, GB) - 165 species
10th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 162 species
11th) Halcon (Spain) - 156 species
12th) nrg800 (Australia) - 155 species
13th) ***DIJ*** (Lincolnshire, GB) - 152 species
14th) Mari E (Oxford, GB) - 145 species
15th) Ausmar (Malta) - 141 species
16th) Knotsbirder (Nottinghamshire, GB) - 140 species
17th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 136 species
17th) Birdermoose (Essex, GB) - 136 species
19th) Shrikebirder (London, GB) - 124 species
20th) Jamesevry (Somerset, GB) - 114 species
21st) Birdpics (Essex, GB) - 107 species
22nd) Borofan (Cleveland, GB) - 102 species
23rd) Nature_Lover (Durham, GB) - 88 species
24th) CreamColouredCourser (Wales, GB) - 67 species
25th) Skylark25 (Malta) - 54 species
26th) WildlifeLove (Essex, GB) - 52 species
27th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 44 species
28th) Andrewj123 (Bedfordshire, GB) - 35 species

Yet to have a yeartick this month :-C its that time of year when othing turns up in my local area but luckily my last exam is tomorrow so then I will be able to get out more and try find some stuff for myself. Turned to insects and plants instead to keep me occupied at the moment :-O My first Bee Orchids on tuesday aswell as a Hummingbird Hawkmoth o:D and plenty other butterflies and moths. Going to go looking for Fritillaries and Hairstreaks in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed

Back from Lakenheath. I am now convinced that I never will see a Grasshopper Warbler as despite hearing them all day and waiting by a few bushes and rushes, they never showed. However, despite the horrendous weather, it was a good day with three year ticks (Hobby, Kingfisher, Bearded Tit) bringing me up to 169for the year. Also very nice views of Cuckoo and Bittern. Hopefully some more birding in the next couple of days, maybe even tomorrow.

@Jonny I was on 166 rather than 165 see my post of the 11th June. It is 169 now then.

Last edited:
Just got back from an amazingly confiding local Red Footed Falcon. Still need to add up my year list totals as Im sure that Ive missed some and still havent added up all the birds from Scotland a month ago! Anyway, the Red Foot showed down to about 5 yards allowing for some amazing shots and the day was crowned off with a couple of Little Owls as well! Shots to follow

Just got back from an amazingly confiding local Red Footed Falcon. Still need to add up my year list totals as Im sure that Ive missed some and still havent added up all the birds from Scotland a month ago! Anyway, the Red Foot showed down to about 5 yards allowing for some amazing shots and the day was crowned off with a couple of Little Owls as well! Shots to follow

Wow, lucky you- there one of my (many!) favourite birds, what age was it? :t:

Attachments

• Red Footed Falcon Edit 4.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon Edit 4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Red Footed Falcon Edit 3 Small.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon Edit 3 Small.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Red Footed Falcon Edit 2 Small.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon Edit 2 Small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Red Footed Falcon Edit.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon Edit.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Red Footed Falcon 202 Small.jpg
    Red Footed Falcon 202 Small.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back