• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A near miss for the Great Spotted Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Last edited:
Pity about the comments at the bottom of the same page!

Regards
Kathy
x

Dare I say it - typical Daily Mail readers?

Re. the photo, I'm sure I've seen the picture elsewhere, someone uploaded a painting of the photo, I thought it was on here, but can't be sure. This was a few weeks back.

Here's his painting of the photo: http://bit.ly/ccQmsa

I'm still racking my brain about where I saw it, I'm sure it was some form of forum where he was just casually showing off some paintings and this was one of them.

sorry, I think people lookign to have their faith in humanity shake shoudl read the comments theirselves but this really is taking the biscuit!

I agree with you. You point out clearly that whilst our song bird population is in decline the hawk lobby that controls the RSPB continues to ignore the basic principals of humankind. That is that we have always controlled whatever animal to suit our needs. Hawks are no different up to now that is, since the hawk lobby that controls the RSPB refuse to see the evidence staring them in the face and by their own traffic signal records the sparrowhawk and co. are in NO DANGER whilst the birds that we as humans prefer to see and hear, ie. songbirds of all sorts are in severe danger.

sorry, I think people lookign to have their faith in humanity shake shoudl read the comments theirselves but this really is taking the biscuit!

I agree with you. You point out clearly that whilst our song bird population is in decline the hawk lobby that controls the RSPB continues to ignore the basic principals of humankind. That is that we have always controlled whatever animal to suit our needs. Hawks are no different up to now that is, since the hawk lobby that controls the RSPB refuse to see the evidence staring them in the face and by their own traffic signal records the sparrowhawk and co. are in NO DANGER whilst the birds that we as humans prefer to see and hear, ie. songbirds of all sorts are in severe danger.

Who's this "Hawk Lobby" then? Can I join? Is it expensive? :-O

What people like that person don't realise is that having even a slight biological education would tell you that healthy populations of raptors could not exist without healthy populations of prey, so if they're seeing lots of raptors then there'll be lots of smaller birds and mammals around too.

Dare I say it - typical Daily Mail readers?

Re. the photo, I'm sure I've seen the picture elsewhere, someone uploaded a painting of the photo, I thought it was on here, but can't be sure. This was a few weeks back.

For the record Robert writes and illustrates an occasional column in the Yorkshire Post Country Review supplement and the picture accompanied his column in March (I think) this year. I posted a link in BF to the Yorkshire Post site showing the picture at that time.
Love the Daily Mail...yesterday's news tomorrow;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back