• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop CS scratch disk problem (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

I have set up a few actions in CS. One is for sharpening and is a method so that I can sharpen more than once.

If I use the action once all seems to be ok. If I try to perform the same action again I get:

Disk error -36 occured while reading or writing to a scratch disk sorry but this error is unrecovaerable.

I am using win xp sp2 photoshop is on drive C scratch disk is on E a partition of C

This also happens if I go through the sharpening process manually.

I have tried photoshop help but to no avail.

Any idea's out there all help much appreciated.

Pete

I presume from what you are staying Pete that e: is a partition on the same physical hard drive as your c: drive? Have you got a seperate physical hard disk? If so set this as your first scratch disk.
If not have you set c: as your second scratch drive? this may help as it will give you more scratch disk room. You could also try setting up extra virtual memory to give better memory performance. If you need any help doing this just PM me Pete.

stuartlawrie said:
I presume from what you are staying Pete that e: is a partition on the same physical hard drive as your c: drive? Have you got a seperate physical hard disk? If so set this as your first scratch disk.
If not have you set c: as your second scratch drive? this may help as it will give you more scratch disk room. You could also try setting up extra virtual memory to give better memory performance. If you need any help doing this just PM me Pete.

Hi Stuart Yes E: drive is a 10gb partition on C:drive.

I do have another separate drive D: would you reccomend setting this as the scratch disk?

Virtual memory, not sure what I have, just checked and it was set at 576mb changed to 1152mb.

Bit late night so will check tomorrow any other suggestions welcome.

Pete

It is always preferable to set your first scratch disk to be a seperate hard drive, then set e: second and c: third, assuming these are the only 3 drive/partitions you have, this gives more virtual memory room for CS to use. using virtual memory settings you need to go into custom settings and what ever settings you have for your c: drive apply to each of the other drives, this effectively in your case triples the amount of room available for windows to use as a virtual memory store for frequent/recently used actions! I wouldn't just simply change the settings on your c: drive, indeed be very careful of setting this too high or of setting the VM settings on the other drives greater than those on the C: drive.
If you have already changed this, don't worry, just change setting to let windows determine best setting, this will set c: back to best setting then go into custom and put the same setting on the other drives.
Hopefully this will give CS more memory and stop your probs.

Try avoiding having the Windows syspage files, and your scratch disk on the same physical drive.

Another tip if you keep your images on another separate drive performance improvements can be quite dramatic but that means having 3 drives.

Merop said:
Try avoiding having the Windows syspage files, and your scratch disk on the same physical drive.
Another tip if you keep your images on another separate drive performance improvements can be quite dramatic but that means having 3 drives.

Is anyone able to provided the Mac equivalent to the above?I use a G5+Tiger but my skills haven't been up to working out how to create and allocate a separate drive for Photoshop.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back