• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chinese butterfly? (1 Viewer)

ChinaKimmi

I live in central China, Hubei province, and have noticed several of these around the past couple of weeks. They look more like a beetle when they are flying as opposed to a butterfly. I'm not much of a bug expert and only got a closer look as this one decided to share my tea! His body was about 5 cm long. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• new butterfly 1.jpg
    new butterfly 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 103
  • new butterfly 2.jpg
    new butterfly 2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 95
  • new butterfly 3.jpg
    new butterfly 3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
ChinaKimmi said:
I live in central China, Hubei province, and have noticed several of these around the past couple of weeks. They look more like a beetle when they are flying as opposed to a butterfly. I'm not much of a bug expert and only got a closer look as this one decided to share my tea! His body was about 5 cm long. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello Kimmi,

An interesting looking specimen. I think it is a male moth, rather than a butterfly that you have photographed. As far as I aware, no butterfly has antennae like that, (with fringed edges). But, this form of antennae is a common feature on many male moth species, which use their antennae to detect the scent pheromones released by females of the same species, in order to attract a mate.

I have little knowledge of the Lepidoptera of the Orient and cannot identify it. Some other member of Bird Forum may be able to assist you, but you are more likely to identify it, by doing a web search for Chinese or Oriental Moths.

Harry

Last edited:
ChinaKimmi said:

It could be Histia flabellicornis (Zygaenidae, Chalcosiinae), see http://www.ccs-hk.org/DM/butterfly/Zygaenid/Histia-flabellicornis.html .

Hi Kimmi,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

Glad you have got your moth identified :t:

ChinaKimmi said:
Hello Harry and Harri

Thank you both very much for your help. It is a Scarlet Bodied Burnet Moth.

Kimmi

Hello Kimmi,
I'm glad you have an identification, we have enough problems identifying lepidoptera in our own area at times. lol. I must admit it doesn't look like any of the Burnet moths that we in Europe are familiar with.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back