• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lutea Yellow Wagtail (1 Viewer)

Motacilla (flava) lutea 'Yellow-headed Wagtail' isn't on the British List.

Kehoe 2006. Racial identification and assessment in Britain: a report from the RIACT subcommittee. British Birds 99(12): 619-645.
www.bbrc.org.uk/Riact.pdf
"...occasional birds resembling the yellow-headed M. f. lutea (which is not on the British List) are most likely to be variant flavissima. Photographs of birds resembling these races are most welcome, but will be treated informally at present."

Best reference for ID is probably Alström & Mild 2003 (Pipits & Wagtails).

Motacilla (flava) lutea 'Yellow-headed Wagtail' isn't on the British List.

Kehoe 2006. Racial identification and assessment in Britain: a report from the RIACT subcommittee. British Birds 99(12): 619-645.
www.bbrc.org.uk/Riact.pdf
"...occasional birds resembling the yellow-headed M. f. lutea (which is not on the British List) are most likely to be variant flavissima. Photographs of birds resembling these races are most welcome, but will be treated informally at present."

Best reference for ID is probably Alström & Mild 2003 (Pipits & Wagtails).

Thanks Richard.

CB

Does anyone know how often this race occurs in Britain? Also can anyone direct me to any articles on the ID of this race.

Thanks in advance.

CB

Very rarely, CB. But I've a photo of one on my patch! (Many years ago now.)

This is from the 'Advanced Bird Guide' :

"Probably indinguishable from all female-type and extreme yellow-headed Yellow wagtail male.
Almost uniform yellow head resembles Citrine wagtail, but rear crown , hind neck and eye-stripe/ear coverts sometimes darker (concolorous with mantle), in Yellow rarely almost uniform yellow head.
Wing-bar over medium coverts very broad, often extending over more than half of visible part of median coverts (in most Yellow wags. usually 30% of visible part of median coverts.)
Usually deeper yellow underparts than Yellow, whole underparts evenly yellow.
Upperparts olive-green without a trace of grey wash.
Rump often paler (yellow-green) than in most Yellow."

Now, where's that photo?!

H

Edit : I posted above while RK was posting. I must dig the photo out & have a good look - was it just a variant Yellow? (The image on the photo's hardly bigger than a few millimetres if I remember rightly)

Last edited:
Photos found - taken on 29/5/94.

Would be nice to get a professional opinion - any takers?

(Can't upload - they're not digital.)

Why not beg, borrow or steal a scanner?

Hi John,

The images on the photos are tiny and I suspect that they would be even less clear once processed through my scanner.

I've emailed Martin Garner to ask if he'd be interested in viewing the originals.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back