• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird built nest 4 days ago and hasn't come back since ! (1 Viewer)

ElliotP

Hello there, I'm new to this sort of thing so bare with me ! Recently, a male and female blackbird built a nest about 2 feet below my bedroom window which is located in honeysuckle and well covered. They have yet to return to the nest in the past 2-3 days. I have been able to briefly have a look at the nest out of the window and there are no eggs there. I was just wanting to know if the Blackbirds built a nest there to prepare themselves and will come back at a later date when the female is ready to lay her eggs, or has something scared them off completely? The nest is at least 15 feet off the ground, in a cove between a terraced house and the honey suckle covers two garden arches that are underneath supporting it.

Many thanks in advance everyone ! |:d|
Elliot.

Hi
Guess would probably be disturbance or predation. Perhaps a cat or a dog or something went near the nest and scared them off completely. Or it could have been a person when you weren't around, either accidentally or deliberately.

Another possibility is that one of the pair was killed by a predator and the other has gone away to find another mate.

However, they may still be visiting when you aren't around. Keep watching and see if they do come back when you are watching.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back