• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decent Binoculars for an affordable price, a weighty issue (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
It's been a while since my last thread. when I was deciding whether to get Opticron Imagic TGAs or Viking Vistrons. Since that post I bought some second hand 8 x 42 WA Opticron Countryman (Porro).

I was particularly impressed with its FOV (143m),its brightness and its price £60 2nd hand.

However I have since found that for short walks we always take my gf's 8x25 Opticron Vega's with us. The countryman binoculars are just too heavy at 780g cf the vega's 350g.

I now want a pair of binoculars that are light enough to take with me everywhere.

I don't want compacts because my gfs vega's do not perform great in low light and have poor fov.

I know roof prisms are generally not as good as porro's (for the same price) and now am very interested in the following.

Imagic 8 x 32 TGA (maybe 7 x 42)

SR.GA 8 x 32

Discovery WP PC

Viking Vistron 8 x42

I hear porros give better image quality for the buck. But to get the same weight I would have to go for smaller objective lenses. Therefore potentially a less bright image (although I think porros tend to give a brighter image anyway). I like the idea of the discoverys because they are small and light and even pocketable and have phase coatings but maybe there will be CA or will not be optically as good as the porros.

The SR.GA do not have WP or nitrogen filling. I am not sure if this is a big issue. They seem to be expensive for what you get but I hear they are very good quality optically.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my dilemma.

OH and probably out of my price range I have heard some people say Nikon Monarchs are nearly as good as top end binoculars but other people criticise them so I am curious to your thoughts on these.

All comments welcome. but please don't recommend american binoculars that are not available in the UK. I need to try before I buy.

Hi Pete
I have just bought two pairs of bins one each for my parents. I wanted 8x32 magnification for them both for field of view and weight.

I purchased different models so they can pick the correct one up if something interesting comes into the garden without having to adjust them. The two I decided on were Opticron Oregon 8x32 LE WP and the Viking Navigator 8x32.

I took my Minox 8x42 BL BR to the shop so I could compare how they performed, a bit unfair perhaps as the Minox cost more than the other two together but was suprised at how they stepped up to the mark. I'm not a binocular expert but in low light (I specifically went to the shop at 1530 ) there was hardly any difference in the three pairs.

I bought the Vikings and the Opticrons and had a good deal' 160 pounds for them both saving 40.

If I had to come off the fence then the Opticrons would be my choice, excellent field of view, bright image and lightweight too.

Regards

Ian

I'd go for the Opticron SR.GA 8 x 32 as well. They are excellant value at the price, with very good optics and although they are not waterproof they are very well made. In my opinion uou will have to spend at least twice the price to get a roof with the same view.

I'd agree with the "Opticron SR.GA 8x32 porro" recommendation (see previous thread on this model, with Brinley Best's comparison, 7th February 2008) having been lucky enough to buy an 'as new' pristine one on eBay for £90. Traditional build quality, sharp optics, a soft leather case (tight fit), discreet strap, neat objective covers & rainguard, chunky & solid, but not heavy (546g) with rubber armour, although not waterproof. Another sound buy, similar in size, would be the Opticron Minerva 9x35, if you can find a good used one.
The TGA is a nice-to-hold model, with fine optics, not quite as sharp, but weatherproof.
Personally, I like the Minerva: 9x is a handy magnification, yet there's no denying the 8x SR.GA is a little gem. The focus on all these goes the 'wrong way' for me (clockwise to a close-up) but the Minerva and SR.GA are so good I can forgive this foible...

The Opticron Taiga 8x25 bins I have as a backup pair are remarkably and surprisingly good in low light and have a wide FOV. They're very light weight and comfy to use.

I had the 8x32 SR.GA for a while, but gave up on them because of the unforgiving view. Unless my eyes were in exactly the right place, I felt they were straining. And that was when I was using bins without glasses; I woudn't even try to use the SR.GA with glasses. Otherwise they were very good optically.

Michael

I had the 8x32 SR.GA for a while, but gave up on them because of the unforgiving view. Unless my eyes were in exactly the right place, I felt they were straining. And that was when I was using bins without glasses; I woudn't even try to use the SR.GA with glasses. Otherwise they were very good optically.

Michael

Sounds like they were misalligned. I've found that they give a very easy view, although I agree that the lack of eye relief might be a problem if you wear glasses

Thank you for all your comments guys they've been really helpful.

I went to the binocular dealers today and tried out two porros the SRGA and the aspheric. Both of which gave brilliant optics compared with all the roof prisms. I liked the (heavier) aspheric better because it fitted my eyes better (I found that I could not get the SRGA to a comfortable position) but would recommend both (because how it fits is a personal thing).

I also tried a few roof prisms including the opticron discovery. but did not get a chance to try the nikon monarch or the viking vistron. I preferred the discovery to the viking (I had previously tried at another shop). I was very impressed with the quality of the discovery, not close to as bright as the porros, but I think it offers a lot in terms of convenience. It's small enough to fit in the pocket and very comfortable to use. Its like a pocket binocular but with a much better image. I would recommend this too.

For my needs I think I will try the discovery, it is good vfm and I think I will hang onto my heavy porros for any late night birding.

I think its really important that the binoculars are easy to carry around, because its better to have a less bright pair than non at all.

Thanks again and enjoy your birding. I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

I bought some Opticron Discovery's PC WP 8 x 42. They are really nice, lovely clear image, light to handle and fit nicely in the pocket. The weight difference is really noticeable vs my old porro's and I am really pleased with them. I realise that in this price range there are a lot of binoculars to choose from, but I honestly don't think I could have chosen any better. Optically there are no doubt better porros, but how light and compact these are really does make up for it. In spite of the phase coating I believe I noticed some chromatic aberration, but it was minimal and otherwise optically very good. I would give these binoculars 8/10 which is as high as you might get at this price range.

Great stuff!

I'm hoping to get some of these for my birthday next week so it's nice to know they're a good bin.

My other half has a pair of Opticron Discovery 8x42 bins and really likes them. I notice that there is now a new version with a magnesium rather than aluminium body. The list price is £149, which is what In Focus are selling them for. Sherwoods have the 8x42 Discovery on special offer at £95, while stocks last. I assume that is the aluminium version. You would have to work out whether it is worth paying £54 more to get the latest version. Decisions, decisions!

Ron

If I was going to pay £149 for the new discovery I would certainly spend another £10 to get the new 'Explorer'. (sherwoods).....they are A LOT LOT
better optically than the discovery's.

steve;);)

I just got some Discovery bins bought as a present and I have to say I'm impressed by them. I'm not sure if they're the old ones or the new ones and frankly I don't care. They feel like I could batter them about and do them no damage and they're really comfortable to hold and compact anough to slip into a large coat pocket. They also focus at a stupendously close distance. It states 2m on the specifications but if you're prepared to sacrifice being able to see a single image through both lenses and go to using it as a monocular it goes much closer than that. More than close enough for garden birding.

I'm glad they're as good as you expected, it becomes quite crazy when you are looking at which binocular to buy and there always seems to be a slightly better more expensive option its hard to know where to draw the line. But I'm happy with these. Now all I need is a telescope ;)

I've had these a while now and can confirm these are very good. I've lent them to friends who have been impressed with them. They are very clear, bright and easy to use. It's actually made a real difference to my birdwatching enjoyment since getting these. I need to get a pair of binoculars for my girlfriend sometime and I'll probably get these again. I know you can probably get better binoculars, but honestly I don't think I will bother buying another pair of binoculars, I am so happy with these.

Just bought some Countryman 8x42 BGA T PC Oasis WP roof prism binos impressed with them seen them from £180-£220 just paid £120 brand new last pair thought that was a bit of a bargain. :t: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back