• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want Start Out W/Decent Binoculars (1 Viewer)

You really ought to think again about the Furys. Looksharp's post #35 is full of wisdom. I own 10x, 8x, 7x, 6.5x, and 6x. The 6.5 and 7 are my most *useful* bins. I live in the mountain west and while I very often carry my 10x25's because they're small, the FOV leaves a bit to be desired.

ED glass is nice and will help to minimize off axis CA but I think most inexperienced users and many experienced ones would be hard pressed to see much difference.

The Furys are $300 bins being closed out at $160. They are far more than the current price might indicate.

The Furys are $300 bins being closed out at $160. They are far more than the current price might indicate.

Look around and you can beat the $160 price by another 20%.

I got mine very gently used from a BF member for under $100 with the intention of giving them as a gift.

The other day I was at a gathering and for fun I brought out all of my Binos for people to try. I dont have much stuff, and none of it is top tier. The lineup was 6.5fury, 12x50Nikon Action, 6x30Yosemite, 7x36BushnellBowhunters, 8x25 Tracker PCI. Quite a varied lineup, with a wide range of magnification, quality, and physical size.

Hands down the Fury's were the favorite. They made a nice gift.

CameralandNY has been selling the 6.5x32 Fury's for $130 for the last couple of weeks.

More of a specialized bino though, and if I was limited to 1 bino, it certainly wouldn't be this.

CameralandNY has been selling the 6.5x32 Fury's for $130 for the last couple of weeks.

More of a specialized bino though, and if I was limited to 1 bino, it certainly wouldn't be this.
I know. Contacted Doug to see if invnory is low. Found amply supply for now. $145 for bin, harness, and micro fiber cloth delivered is probably going to be the deal. Thinking will add a 9x later and will make due with 6.5x for now. Plan to check after my last class if they will accept a deposit on a pair to secure for me till next week or two. After all I am one who truly is frugal to the bone! Never buy cheap, but always get the most quality for my $.

The harness from CLNY is the standard type of harness, which allows the binos to bounce around and the underarm straps can be a little binding.

I like this harness from Coleman, which when I am on a 4 wheeler or my bike allows me to put the binos in the pouch, but can be used without. Much, much more comfortable and secure.
http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=4896&query=bino&hiword=bino

Any bino you buy should come standard with a 3 or 4 inch square microfiber cleaning cloth packed in the box.

The harness from CLNY is the standard type of harness, which allows the binos to bounce around and the underarm straps can be a little binding.

I like this harness from Coleman, which when I am on a 4 wheeler or my bike allows me to put the binos in the pouch, but can be used without. Much, much more comfortable and secure.
http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=4896&query=bino&hiword=bino

Any bino you buy should come standard with a 3 or 4 inch square microfiber cleaning cloth packed in the box.

Great deal! Took advantage of it. Been shopping Coleman store for years :~)

Want a nice bigger cloth at least 8x8 for various uses. The tiny ones I get with eye glasses get greased up too quickly and are difficult to hold without touching lenses sometimes ;~)

After days of deliberation I decided on taking advantage of the Fury 6.5 deal. Already plan to add a 9x soon. This should allow me to cover most situations. Any ideas on 9x bins that equal or exceed the quality of Fury while still offering good value?

My copy of Peterson Western Field Guide arrived today and it really impressed me with clear illustrations. Doubt I would like a guide with photos. I was able to quickly identify the O-> Yellow-Headed Blackbirds that frequent the waters edge on campus. Is there another book I should get to compliment the Peterson? I had a copy of Bird Watching For Dummies that got tossed out before I got a chance to check it out. Is it worth replacing?

Last edited:
Pentax makes 2 9x standard size binoculars (actually 3 if you count the 9 x 28 LV), a 9 x 32 and 9 x 42 DCF BR. They sell for around $300.00. I've never seen a review on them but you can look at their specs below. The 9 x 32 has a rather wide FOV of over 350' and weighs only 17oz or so. The 42 is heavier and has a rather narrow FOV.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-br-9x42-binocular

Vortex makes a 9 x 36 Diamondback with a nice wide FOV. $200.00. Very well built and worth it's price and maybe then some. I used one as my car binocular for a year and liked it. And you can probably find it at a cheaper price. I gave it to my son who wanted a reliable binocular. It stays in his car too. Sharp enough with a generous sweet spot. Softens at the edges but it has alot of pincushioning at the edges so you can refocus for the edges if you don't want to move the binocular while you are looking at something else.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback9x36

Bob

Last edited:
My copy of Peterson Field Guide arrived today and it really impressed me with clear illustrations. Doubt I would like a guide with photos. I was able to quickly identify the O-> Yellow-Headed Blackbirds that frequent the waters edge on campus. Is there another book I should get to compliment the Peterson? I had a copy of Bird Watching For Dummies that got tossed out before I got a chance to check it out. Is it worth replacing?

Yellow-headed Blackbird: been on my list of birds I want to see for years. Somehow I've always missed it. I'm jealous! Skip the dummies books--you're no dummy, right? You learn birdwatching by watching birds not reading books. But I'd buy a pamphlet called "Yellow-headed Blackbirds for Dummies." Evidently I need it.:-O

Sibley's Western is a good choice. I have the big NA and the compact Eastern. Peterson's Western would be good, too. I have the 1990 Peterson Western and still use it when I go out west.

Mark

After days of deliberation I decided on taking advantage of the Fury 6.5 deal. Already plan to add a 9x soon. This should allow me to cover most situations. Any ideas on 9x bins that equal or exceed the quality of Fury while still offering good value?

My copy of Peterson Field Guide arrived today and it really impressed me with clear illustrations. Doubt I would like a guide with photos. I was able to quickly identify the O-> Yellow-Headed Blackbirds that frequent the waters edge on campus. Is there another book I should get to compliment the Peterson? I had a copy of Bird Watching For Dummies that got tossed out before I got a chance to check it out. Is it worth replacing?

9x is a pretty slim pickings arena. Ceasar left out the ZEN ED 2 9x36, which would be worth a look as well. 8.5x should be close enough and something along the lines of a Swift Audubon roof at 8.5x44 should be a good place to look too.

I learned to bird more years ago than I care to think about with Peterson's Western Birds and to this day prefer the Peterson Guides. They are all pretty good, I currently have Don and Lilian Stoke's guide as a second and Sibley's is also good. and I have iBird Pro and the Audubon Bird guide on my Samsung Fascinate phone, which are nice because the phone is smaller than the book. The phone is sort of hard to see outside sometimes, so that can be a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:

As to Cameraland, aren't there shipping charges added? Also, what's their return policy compared to EO? I'd rather spend $10-15 more and support EO.

As to your second comment, I pretty much disagree that it's a specialized bin. Of what I own, it wouldn't be the last one I kept but I wouldn't feel terrible if it was the only one to survive a fire. They're really good bins all in all and offer far more versatility than higher power bins for all-around use IMO.

There are two places I will use online EO and CLNY. I have never had any extra shipping nor have I ever heard of any CLNY shipping.

Both EO and CLNY give outstanding, prompt service (They both have large inventories.) and you know the total cost at the time you order. I never had any extra charges. EO has a liberal 30 day return policy. Read it on their website.

Bob

Last edited:
CLNY charges shipping on orders of less than $100 - above that it's free - but either way if you return the binos, they will not credit the shipping charge. On an item that was shipped free, they will deduct the shipping charge prior to crediting your card. Just like anyone else!

CLNY was selling the 6.5 Fury's for $159.95 like EO until 3 weeks ago, when they dropped the price to $129.99.

Can't even imagine spending an extra $30 for the priveledge of buying the 6.5 Furys from EO instead of CLNY.

I had a 6x32 Leupold Katmai that I kept for several months, and like the 6.5 Fury, I find these binos very limiting to me, despite the increased DOF. But hey, if they trick your trigger, then by all means - fire away.

Tom

Thanks for the info on CLNY. I thought I'd read of a shipping charge on the Fury's. Also good to know they have good customer service. I'm pretty much married to EO for the solid CS I've gotten from them in the past. But if CLNY is as good in that arena, $30 is $30.

Any ideas on 9x bins that equal or exceed the quality of Fury while still offering good value?

This might be even trickier than finding a good 10x. I tried the Hawke Frontier ED 10x36 and found it was impossible to use with spectacles. And it was apparently no 10x, probably more like 9x.

Then I got a Monarch X 10,5x45, in many ways a nice binocular, but still not perfect with spectacles.

Finally I ended up with a Zeiss Victory FL 10x32 and it exceeds my expectations by far. It is the only 10x I have found that matches the view in the Fury, which tells something about the Fury.

You should know Pentax bins, most Zen-Rays, all Vortexs except Fury and most cheaper bins focus anti-clockwise from close to infinity, but the Fury is clockwise like the big three + Meopta.

Even Monarch III and Zen ED2 focuses the right way but I'm note sure about how they work with spectacles.

My bad impression of the Hawke (it was a case of poor QC) made me deter from Zen-Ray ED2, which basically is the same bin. But if I were you I would give it a chance. Don't forget to write some kind of review in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=173492

Another bin that is somewhat interesting is the Fury 10x32. Basically, it should be as good as the 6,5x32, but in real use it should be inferior.
Anyway, I would be interested to hear someone's opinion about it.

//L

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back